Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my latest i30 service (4 years 47,000 miles) I was told that my front and rear discs and pads should be replaced soon and the main Hyundai dealer quoted a cost of about £600!

I can get them done for about £300 from a local garage.

What I would like to know is: will it have any effect on my (5 year) warranty if I use the local garage rather than the Hyundai dealer?

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you use genuine parts and the parts are fitted by a qualified recognised mechanic Hyundai have to accept it. Have your mechanic do a quick check on the brakes first before changing them, brakes are a cash cow for dealers, they prey on peoples fear that the brakes may fail and are often changed out prematurely at owners expense. Case in point my previous car a Subaru, the dealer told me I had to have the brakes replaced that they were worn down to 'service limits', the car had 50,000klm on it, I am also very light on brakes. What the dealer didn't know was I had rotated the tyres the week before, the pads still had well over 50% material left and the discs were unmarked. I didn't accept the service advise.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
no you do not have to use genuine OEM parts. i don't see why it would be different for you in europe, but look into it if it helps you sleep at night. or take OEM parts to your mechanic.

only way warranty is void is if they can show that your parts used did not meet the minimum spec for the vehicle or the mechanic did the job wrong resulting in damage - and then he's on the hook for the damage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm still a bit unsure on getting the work done at a non-Hyundai garage.

I have just had an MOT test done on the car and it passed which means that the brakes meet the minimum legal requirement! There was a warning that the brake pads on the rear brakes were thin and would need replacing but no timescale was given on when they would need replacing; there was no mention of any work being needed on the front brakes.

I have noticed that the brakes don't seem quite as effective as they were and the handbrake needs to be pulled tighter to hold the car on hills. I'll get the local garage to have a look at the brakes and then decide what to do. At most I would expect to have work done on the rear brakes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you don't know anything about cars, Auldyin, and wouldn't know what to look for on your discs/pads, you're going to have to take someone else's word for it, aren't you? Whether they tell the truth or not is down to the (dis)honesty of the mechanic. Hopefully you can find someone you trust, but the motor trade has always been full of crooks ('Honest Hyatt', anyone?) and/or sharp practice, so good luck!

However, 4 years and 47k is pretty good for pads/discs. 3 years and 30k for fronts has been typically quoted by mechanics on my recent cars as needing renewal 'soon', but I've changed the car before doing the work. On the last occasion (Suzuki SX4) I knew that only the pads would have actually needed changing. Garages like to change both for (1) the profit, and (2) by changing both you'll get optimal braking performance from the off, instead of having to let the new pad bed into the older disc - which happens pretty quickly in practice.

I DO know what I'm looking at and can do the job myself, or would be happy to pay £300 to a local garage (sounds quite a reasonable price), knowing that brake work can't affect other unrelated parts. But if you're breezy, pay the main dealer and keep your warranty good, with NO possibility of future quibbles.

At 4 years old and only 1 year of warranty left, it's your gamble whether you want to save £300 and take the slight risk that your gearbox will fall to bits in 6 months (and Hyundai will blame the non-dealer brake work)!

Cheers - Peter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I went to a local recommended garage (one of my neighbours recommended it after he had work done on his brakes) and had the brakes checked out. I was told that the discs both front and back, were almost on their limits - the mechanic measured their thickness - but the pads still had some life left in them. The mechanic recommended waiting for a bit before replacing the discs and pads on front and back so that's what I'll do. (Good to find an honest garage/mechanic!)

I'm still not sure whether I'll go to this local garage or the main dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts