Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got a new 2017 with 35k miles (yea its a lot but it was a good deal)

1) just wanted to say hi

2) Seems like the shifting is mildly off where it will stay in a higher gear than it should (basically wont downshift until i gun it) this could just be an artifact of me driving a manual transmission for the last 26 years

3) any suggestions on accessories to add. my previous car only had a tape deck so this is a huge leap in tech for me (love carplay) but i'm alway interested in adding things to make my long commute in the car better.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi,

I just got a new 2017 with 35k miles (yea its a lot but it was a good deal)

1) just wanted to say hi

2) Seems like the shifting is mildly off where it will stay in a higher gear than it should (basically wont downshift until i gun it) this could just be an artifact of me driving a manual transmission for the last 26 years

3) any suggestions on accessories to add. my previous car only had a tape deck so this is a huge leap in tech for me (love carplay) but i'm alway interested in adding things to make my long commute in the car better.

Hello and welcome! I can’t say for sure about the shifting you’re experiencing but I’d say it’s pretty normal despite the odd pattern. It could be programmed to act this way for fuel economy purposes but I wouldn’t be 100% sure.

There are many accessories you could add to the car such as LED powered cupholders, weathertech floor mats, aluminum sport pedals (from Hyundai), steering wheel cover for better grip and comfort, etc. I’d say the sky’s the limit!

Enjoy your new Sonata!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi crash893

Like the_owner said could be just programming or you may have "Sport" mode selected (it will say Sport on instrument cluster).
Accessories - add wind deflectors (WeatherTech), change bulbs to LED type if you haven't done that yet, mudguards, dash covers (front and back) and probably few more, you will find ideas here.
Also let us know which version of Sonata you have for better advise and enjoy your new car :).

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
The car has 3 modes of driving - normal-Eco-Sport , to select there is a button at the base of the gear shift selector.The car will usually default to normal or if last driven in Eco will stay in Eco until changed. The mode effect the weight (feel) of the steering with sport being the least assisted for more road feel and Eco being the lightest (easiest to turn) as well as the shift points of the transmission. Eco will hold a higher gear earlier and longer to try to get the best mileage (but slowest performance response) Sport will hold lower gears longer for better response and performance and normal is a compromise.

Our (and most newer) cars transmissions are controlled by computers and they "learn" the driving patterns of the previous driver. So there are ways to reset, I believe one is to disconnect the battery for a period of time (Im sure other on this forum can tell you how long) or the easier way is take it out and drive it like you would normally or a little harder, more forced downshifts, hard acceleration from stops and passing, also some manual shifting and alow the car to get into the higher RPM and make downshifts as you slow and the car will change its shift points somewhat to your driving habits.

For modifications check out
K5optima store
shark racing
koreanautoimports.com/

These are the most common places for aftermarket parts. But the Korean (FDM)Market does not have aftermarket parts available like the JDM market does,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought it might be the button but it seems to do it in all 3 "modes"

My brother suggested the battery disconnect method my fear with that is that the stereo will freak out and demand a secret code that I don't have.
do the head unit do anything weird in the car if power is completely lost?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I thought it might be the button but it seems to do it in all 3 "modes"

My brother suggested the battery disconnect method my fear with that is that the stereo will freak out and demand a secret code that I don't have.
do the head unit do anything weird in the car if power is completely lost?
No the radio doesn't care. It even saves my presets when I disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Remember that you can search these forums for ideas of what can/can't be done to your car as well.

First thing I did was replace the Reverse lights with LED. I've got some led license plate replacements coming as well.

There was a recall on the inhibitor switch so you might run it by the dealer to have to verify as well.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
You can see if your stereo will allow a USB stick for music. Only go up to an 8Gb stick. You can put songs in folders and play the entire folder of let it play various songs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can see if your stereo will allow a USB stick for music. Only go up to an 8Gb stick. You can put songs in folders and play the entire folder of let it play various songs.
Nah, you can go way bigger than that. I have this 64GB drive in my car with MP3s ripped at 320kbps fixed. It is also tiny so it doesn't get in the way.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJRS6QY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts