Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Hmm...still would want to see it un-camoed but I like the general outline of it.

A little worried if they are going to drop the engine size to a 1.6 turbo, like the article says. While that engine is nice in the Veloster Turbo, methinks its a bit too small for the Sonata.

Unless they put the new car on a massive diet. That means the sheet metal will be even thinner this time around.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hmm...still would want to see it un-camoed but I like the general outline of it.

A little worried if they are going to drop the engine size to a 1.6 turbo, like the article says. While that engine is nice in the Veloster Turbo, methinks its a bit too small for the Sonata.

Unless they put the new car on a massive diet. That means the sheet metal will be even thinner this time around.
From your Link:
The base 4-cylinder, 2.4-liter engine could be ditched in favor of a 1.6-liter turbo that powers the Veloster Turbo.
This mill churns 201 bhp (105 kW) and 264 Nm (195 lb-ft) of torque so it's a little bit better than the 2.4-liter which offers 198 bhp (147 kW) and 249 Nm (184 lb-ft).
Aside from the slightly higher output, the 1.6 turbo should also provide the car with lower fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

I came from a (co. car) V6 Taurus and have never missed the V6. It "appears" they're not sacrificing the current response with the '15's engine.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I might be leaning towards a Gensis for the next car in place of the Sonata because of the performance difference.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The BHP and TQ numbers are better, but what I would want to see is where in the RPM range do they hit. Ford is doing the same thing in the Fusion with the Ecoboost 1.6. However, that engine is putting out less power combined with a lighter car so it works out nicely.

Remember, a turbo car, even modern variable geometry turbos, hit their peak numbers much higher in the RPM range than an NA car. The reason the the current Turbo Sonata is more powerful than the NA one is that the engine puts out more power and torque at about the same RPM as the NA car. But if feels faster because the power gets there quicker.

I actually drove a veloster (non-turbo) and I can tell you that car is made for a small displacement motor. Sonata at its current weight is a different story.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts

How much thinner can they make the sheet metal:confused:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I was hoping that they dont go any thinner. However, I am seeing many newer cars with almost paper-thin body panels on the outside. Case in point, the GF just got a new GMC terrain. 30K CUV/SUV whatever they are called and the whole roof flexes inward when you push on it (found out trying to hand wash it a couple weeks ago).

So far, the 15 is shaping up to be more of an evolution than revolution for the Sonata. I may skip it, keep the Sled until she dies, and pick up a Genny Coupe turbo for a weekender car.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I drove a VW rental last week on vacation and they haven't gone the thin metal route quite yet.
True but they have cut corners in other spots (drum brakes in 2013 Jetta WTF, de-contenting of lower and mid level trims across their lineup). But they want to hit a sales number and that means cutting costs to lower prices. The cars are still very nice IMHO and I would love to get one of their TDI models, someday.

As far as Hyundai, it seems that they are focusing their attention in some of the areas that YF owners have called them on (ICE, fuel economy, styling) but I know that they still have to turn a profit.

I do know that the later year YFs (12 and 13) seem to have nice sounding doors when they close. Owning an 11, it just irritates me every time I hear that hollow sound from my driver door.

Either way I am hoping for Hyundai to show them how its done (again) in 2015 and keep the market competitive. Cant wait until Auto Show season!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'd love a '13 SHO. Love that car, great deal on used ones with under 20k miles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
They are taking a car that stands out from all the others and looks like the new one will be back to bland and boring like the previous generation Sonata.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
They are taking a car that stands out from all the others and looks like the new one will be back to bland and boring like the previous generation Sonata.
Yup..they are. And it doesn't do a good job at it either.

They were much better off setting their own trend. I still very much like the styling of our 11 Limited. When the wife drives down the street I still like the lines and how it looks with tinted windows and HID up front. :D

·
Registered
699 Posts
What 2014?.....This is beginning to look like 2010 with release of the new 2011 model after the first of the year. Could be the 2015 with no 2014 model.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts