Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not a massive fan of the new model to be honest. On paper, at least, it looks heavier (read slower and thirstier), bigger (read more difficult to park), and much more expensive model for model. Hyundai has shunned the trend for smaller and lighter by turning an I10 into an almost I20. The dashboard isn't attractive, even without the orange strip. Beige interiors on the base model hark back to the Accent. I will have a look when the model is at my local dealer. However, I bought an I10 as it was cheap, quick, (reasonably) economical, easy to park and cheap to insure. The replacement ticks few of these boxes.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not a massive fan of the new model to be honest. On paper, at least, it looks heavier (read slower and thirstier), bigger (read more difficult to park), and much more expensive model for model. Hyundai has shunned the trend for smaller and lighter by turning an I10 into an almost I20. The dashboard isn't attractive, even without the orange strip. Beige interiors on the base model hark back to the Accent. I will have a look when the model is at my local dealer. However, I bought an I10 as it was cheap, quick, (reasonably) economical, easy to park and cheap to insure. The replacement ticks few of these boxes.

Yes, it certainly is much more expensive, model for model.

Oh, hold on.........the new one starts off at exactly the same price as the old one............... (admittedly they do actually show small increases as you go up the range, eg the new 1.2 auto. is £650 more). But you do seem to be getting quite a lot more for your money.

(courtesy Carbuyer.co.uk)

New Hyundai i10 price and release date
The new Hyundai i10 city car was revealed at the Frankfurt Motor Show 2013, and will cost from £8,345 when it launches in January next year. That's exactly the same as the current i10, but the new car offers more space and more equipment than the old model.

(courtesy Auto Express)

Prices for the new Hyundai i10 have been revealed - a car that Hyundai describes as a supermini in a city car package. Prices start from £8,345 and rise to £10,495.
The price remains the same as the outgoing mode and Hyundai claims the new i10 boasts increased space, quality and more equipment.
Read more: New Hyundai i10 pricing announced | Auto Express

But can't argue about it being bigger and therefore harder to park..........

.......80mm longer and 65mm wider than the old car...............that's three inches by two and a half inches in old money. But at 3645mm I don't think anyone should have too much trouble parking it.

The new vehicle weight isn't shown anywhere I looked, so can't pass comment on that, but I guess if it's a bit bigger and probably has a few more gizmos on it it's quite likely that it'll put a couple of pounds on.

Be interesting (IMO at least) to see how it compares to a Yaris at 3885mm. The retail on a Yaris is a lot higher but is discounted by over £2,000 if you look around bringing the 5 door 1.3 TR down to £11,756....still more than an i10. Although maybe the Yaris is more comparable to the 3995mm i20 rather than an i10 (an i20 1.2 Active is £9670 if you knock off the £200 discount available on it). Truth be told, I'd probably have the Toyota (also with a 5yr warranty) if choosing again, but will look at the new i10, of course.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The new model may start at the same price as the old model but I believe aircon is an expensive extra(approx £660) and you only get a 1.0cc engine, so hardly like for like.
Apologies if I am mistaken,please enlighten me if so.

Ps ... Love the new model by the way.

·
Registered
544 Posts
i20 Active 1.2cc 3dr is on offer at £9495 and 5dr Active 1.2cc at £10245 till 31st December according to the Hyundai website.

My price for the 1.2 active i20 was from Broker4cars and was just over £2k off list if I recall correctly.

Maybe a bit early to compare specs and prices between the old and new i10. I have no more insight than anyone else, but if the motoring press write that they start at the same price and infer that there isn't a price increase then, silly old me, I suppose I believe them....but, indeed, if the price is the same but the spec is lowered, then you would call that an increase by any other name.

It'll be interesting to see it in the flesh. It's made to sound as though there's a step up in quality and performance etc. etc.... but I would, as always, view it cautiously and ask myself if I could, in all honesty, justify buying a third Hyundai in confidence of having a trouble free experience.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For anyone interested, there is a brochure for the new i10 which can be downloaded from the Hyundai website giving all the prices/specs etc,well worth a look.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My earlier message was based upon data on the Honest John website:
Model Trim Price (on the road)
1.0 manual S £8,345
1.0 manual S Air £8,995
1.0 manual SE £9,295
1.0 manual Blue Drive SE £9,595
1.2 manual SE £9,795
1.2 automatic SE £10,495
1.0 manual Premium £9,995
1.2 manual Premium £10,495
If this list is to be believed, £9795 for the cheapest 1.2 is a fair step up from the £6995 that I paid for a 1.2 Classic two years ago. There is no mention of Air Conditioning on the spec list. The 1.0 manual S Air would suggest that it is standard on all but the 1.0 S.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I bought my i10 3 years ago, under scrappage, I looked at all the bottom end small cars - I wanted the best of the small cheapest cars.
I don't see the point in an i10 at these prices.
It beat the competition above it first and for most on price, and it beat those around it by its extra (air con as standard).
Now I am a Hyundai fan....but I'd be more inclined to go for a heavyweight (in terms of place in the market, build quality etc). VW or Toyota if it's going to be in that price bracket.
Admittedly, I am now 3 years out of touch what you can get for your money, but the i10 was the best in its category....now it seems to want to leave that behind...it might keep a lot of loyal customers it gained, but I think it'll be turning new ones away.

·
Registered
544 Posts
When I bought my i10 3 years ago, under scrappage, I looked at all the bottom end small cars - I wanted the best of the small cheapest cars.
I don't see the point in an i10 at these prices.
It beat the competition above it first and for most on price, and it beat those around it by its extra (air con as standard).
Now I am a Hyundai fan....but I'd be more inclined to go for a heavyweight (in terms of place in the market, build quality etc). VW or Toyota if it's going to be in that price bracket.
Admittedly, I am now 3 years out of touch what you can get for your money, but the i10 was the best in its category....now it seems to want to leave that behind...it might keep a lot of loyal customers it gained, but I think it'll be turning new ones away.
Hence my ref. to the Yaris at £2k off retail thus making it somewhat more attractive. The 5 yr warranty appeals (and I often read that Toyota are well respected when it comes to upholding the warranty). As per previous mentions I've had half a dozen Yaris's and would confidently have another. Admittedly Hyundai do offer a genuine full 5yr RAC Breakdown and Recovery service in the price of the car, which, in pure monetary terms, is not to be sniffed at but the cost of AutoAid Breakdown and Recovery would be £39 PA for 4 yrs (plus any increases in the future) and that would amount to around £160 - £170 maybe.

And if you look at the NCAP figures for Yaris they're more than respectable.

I'm sure there's plenty of discussion to come.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My main problem with the new Yaris is that it doesn't get great reviews in the motoring press.The Ford Fiesta seems to be a far better car if the reviews are to believed.Not sure how they compare on price though as i'm not in the market for either of these models.
Very happy with my new older model i10 Active at only £7795.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My main problem with the new Yaris is that it doesn't get great reviews in the motoring press.The Ford Fiesta seems to be a far better car if the reviews are to believed.Not sure how they compare on price though as i'm not in the market for either of these models.
Very happy with my new older model i10 Active at only £7795.

Yes, point taken. I can see it doesn't shine in all areas of perceived desirability. I wasn't over struck by the interior plastics for example. But for a small second car I'd value reliability, safety, economy, residuals, purchase price, reputation of manufacturer and dealers, employment of a decent CVT box instead of automated manual (as is often the case...Hyundai excepted....they still have a power/petrol sapping TC box....I've got one!).

But we'll see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts