Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,

Well let me start off by saying I love my new Elantra. The only thing that is annoying is how weak the head lights are. I picked up the car last friday night and have been breaking her in slowly. At first I thought it was just my opinion that the lights were weak however after a family friend pointed it out I knew I wasnt losing my mind. I'm thinking about installing HID's has anybody gone through this process before? I've seen the youtube video
and the price doesnt seem bad. But before jumping into this project I'm eagerly awaiting the forums wisdom :).

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of discussion here about HID lights just keep reading the forums. You definitely need a good kit with this car to prevent issues and flicker but I can't recommend anything since I use regular bulbs.

I swapped my headlights with Silverstar and they improved. Now trying Osram Nightbreaker Plus and they are ok. May try Philips bulbs next season.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of discussion here about HID lights just keep reading the forums. You definitely need a good kit with this car to prevent issues and flicker but I can't recommend anything since I use regular bulbs.

I swapped my headlights with Silverstar and they improved. Now trying Osram Nightbreaker Plus and they are ok. May try Philips bulbs next season.

What version of silverstar bulb did you use? I really want to change mine but not sure I want to go the HID route. Any pictures by any chance?

·
22,792 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lights, as you may have already surmised, is an individual's preference. Personally, I'm happy just the way they are but understand that need for more brilliance. As previously stated, there's tons of info of what to buy, what not to buy, what to watch out for so you don't wind up majorly disappointed. Take some time, read the threads, do some searches. In the end, you be more well-informed, and consequently, well satisfied with your choice.

Remember, good planning usually equates to good results. Great planning is even better! And don't be afraid to PM a member for tips. The guys & gals on here are too shelf!

·
Registered
23 Posts
i bought DDM HID kit but replaced the bulbs because one didnt matched. i purchased bulbs from TRS Morimoto 4300k.. at the start didnt liked the yellowish but they light up very nice. im saving for doing a retrofit on vacations on december also.

and hid are a HUGE difference vs stock bulbs

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tonight I took "Elena" for a longer drive some dark terrain and the stock headlights werent too bad so I think I might put this off for a little while longer. I will definitely do some research on them though so any advice is welcomed.

On a side note has anybody retrofitted a backup camera into there GLS models at the time of purchase they didnt have any with limited elantra with the tech package. I know by installing the backup camera I will need to either add an external monitor or swap out the radio with something with a screen. I'm leaning more towards replacing the radio so any suggestions there would be helpful. Ideally I would like to keep all the features but could live without the xm radio as I hardly use it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
On a side note has anybody retrofitted a backup camera into there GLS models at the time of purchase they didnt have any with limited elantra with the tech package. I know by installing the backup camera I will need to either add an external monitor or swap out the radio with something with a screen. I'm leaning more towards replacing the radio so any suggestions there would be helpful. Ideally I would like to keep all the features but could live without the xm radio as I hardly use it.
You might want to give uNAVI a call. Here's their website:>Hyundai Compatible Products

I was checking out a prior post here about their folding remote FOBs (http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-m...up-buy-folding-remote-key-fob-elantra-md.html) and found that they do aftermarket "tech package" type installations. Look at the FAQ section and you'll find their phone number.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
About 2 years ago I swapped all 4 bulbs with regular Silverstar. Low beams recently started to dim slightly so I changed to Nightbreaker plus. I preferred the Silverstar due to the whiter light. Still have Silverstar in the DRL/high beams.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Had the silverstar ultras in my Intrepid for 4 years. Initially they were a huge difference, and after 4 years were still better than stock. The Elantra headlamps have a better beam, and cutoff than the Intrepid ever did. Might be the easiest solution for you.

·
22,792 Posts
Had the silverstar ultras in my Intrepid for 4 years. Initially they were a huge difference, and after 4 years were still better than stock. The Elantra headlamps have a better beam, and cutoff than the Intrepid ever did. Might be the easiest solution for you.
Certainly is the most cost-effective answer. I LIKE cost-effective!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts