Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all the Hyundai owners out there. I have been a Honda-only owner for over 20 years. A few weeks ago, I went out to find my daughter her first car at my local dealership in the Austin, TX area. The Honda dealership that I went to also has Toyota and Hyundai next door under one ownership. We ended up getting her a 2010 Camry at an incredible price and she is very happy with it. Toyota really has some incredible deals due to their recent bad press over recalls. While test driving the Camry, I pulled back into the lot and noticed an awesome Mercedes CLS-looking car at the Hyundai dealership. I was shocked to learn that it was the 2011 Sonata.

I went home and started researching this beautiful new car and was very impressed with the reviews all over the internet. I had thought about getting a new car for myself anyway and the deals have been pretty good recently. I was 90% sure that I would go with a new Accord EX when I went back to the dealership. Before going to drive the Accord, I decided to have a little fun and test drive the Sonata anyway. Well, I was completely blown away to see the build quality, lines, power and smooth ride of the 2011 Sonata. After learning a lot about the new Hyundai from my excellent sales associate, I asked him if he could let me drive the Accord. He obliged, and I was very disappointed in the road noise, rough ride and hard seats. The styling of the Accord seemed so old-school compared to the Sonata IMHO and this is coming from a complete Honda guy. I have never owned another brand of car because every time I went to check out the competition they couldn't match Honda's quality, price and design before today.

I looked at all 3 models of Sonata (GLS, SE, Limited) and loved the wheels, dual exhaust, push button start and interior of the SE. At that time they had just received 4 SEs, but only 1 of them was on the active lot with the other 3 on a remote lot for inspection and clean up. They had Radiant Silver, Harbor Gray Metallic and 2 Pearl White SEs to choose from. I fell in love with the Pearl White car and decided to go with that one. However, it was late at night and they were about to close and I still needed to show it to my wife so I asked if they would prep a Pearl White car and I would come down and pick it up first thing in the morning.

Well unbelievably, I got there 15 minutes after they opened and someone already bought my car!!! They had signed on the "dotted line" before me so I couldn't get too angry. So I took the wife for a test drive in the Gray SE and she really liked it as well. I showed her the Pearl White car on the remote lot that wasn't even inspected yet and still had all the protective plastic all over it. She loved the color combo and we agreed to buy it before losing another chance. Oddly enough the Gray and Silver SEs were sold while we were doing our paperwork. Even more incredible, the office next door to where we were signing the paperwork held a very disappointed family that wanted the exact car that I bought and had traveled over 100 miles to try and buy it. We beat them out by about 15 minutes and I was very relieved. I can't believe the demand for these cars; especially the SE model. I think Hyundai may have underestimated the sales of the SE model stating that only about 10% of buyers would go for that model. From what I have read online, people all over the country are having a hard time finding the SEs and I am sure prices will only go up with that kind of demand. Anyway, I am beyond excited and really love my new car. I had the windows tinted already and have ordered the mudflaps from Shark Racing. The next step is probably HID headlight upgrade to complete the Euro look.

Thanks for reading my long-winded post.

Take care,
Asenna

Taken with iPhone so sorry about the quality

1 - 2 of 2 Posts