Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a recent owner, 3 weeks, 900 miles! I have the SE no nav.

I'm coming from a 2002 audi a6.

for what i paid, i'm happy with the car, although it is a definite downgrade from the audi.

the greatest part of the car is the keyless ignition, saves me a lot of time. the looks are nice as well, although it is just show and if you really put your eye to it the car doesnt back it up imo. I mean it looks like a 40k luxury car but once you get close and start feeling around you realize its not.. kind of disappointing.

My only real complaints are:
1. rear view mirror. I'm used to autodimming so going back to this thing is really hard to get used to . I feel like i can't see **** out the rearview at night. Definitely need to upgrade this.
2. the stereo is pretty bad. Its not constant, but at times i can hear a faint hiss in the song no matter the source. I feel like the hiss is coming from the dash speakers. I noticed it in the test drive and thought it was just the radio signal, but it is in fact not.

anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? ive tried the eq settings, no luck. whats frustrating is when i dont hear the hiss the sound is pretty decent, but then it comes back and it kills the listening experience.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (jcmuse @ Oct 2 2010, 10:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360489
Hi,

for what i paid, i'm happy with the car, although it is a definite downgrade from the audi.

the greatest part of the car is the keyless ignition, saves me a lot of time. the looks are nice as well, although it is just show and if you really put your eye to it the car doesnt back it up imo. I mean it looks like a 40k luxury car but once you get close and start feeling around you realize its not.. kind of disappointing.

1. rear view mirror. I'm used to autodimming so going back to this thing is really hard to get used to . I feel like i can't see **** out the rearview at night. Definitely need to upgrade this.
2. the stereo is pretty bad. Its not constant, but at times i can hear a faint hiss in the song no matter the source. I feel like the hiss is coming from the dash speakers. I noticed it in the test drive and thought it was just the radio signal, but it is in fact not.

anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? ive tried the eq settings, no luck. whats frustrating is when i dont hear the hiss the sound is pretty decent, but then it comes back and it kills the listening experience.

Stereo: take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

The fact that it isnt a $40,000 car: Take it to a trim shop and have them trim out the interior in butter-soft leather. My mom did this with her new base camry (07) and it cost $1500. All she did was the seats but you can get the door panels done for a few more bucks. The seats are nicer than the ones that come on the factory leather on the top-end models.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm usually very sensitive to these types of problems, and I haven't heard any unwanted sound from my stereo system. I'd have the dealer fix it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You should of bought a Limited, it has a autodimming mirror, a better sound system then the one on the SE and a lot more features that should of compared better against your previous car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I noticed a hiss in the stereo for the first time yesterday. It did seem like it was coming from the dash speakers. At first I thought it was the song my iPod had shuffled to (Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles? How did that get in my iPod?), but when I advanced to the next song, it was still there. I checked all the connections but they seemed to be seated well. I turned the sound all the way down and then back to normal volume and the hiss was gone.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have an SE with nav. Came with the auto dimming mirror and premium audio. Love the audio system the nav came with I'd rate it a 9/10.

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 3 2010, 03:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360572
The autodimming mirror is an option even on the GLS. It comes with universal garage door opener remote, and is about $250. You could probably have the dealer install one or just hit the manual night-dimming lever. You do realize that such a thing exists yes?
I got one on ebay for around $150.00 and they are very easy to install since everything is prewired.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I have done a couple AutoDims in my cars. A 91 Toyota MR2 and a 07 Toyota Rav. Its cake.

sales-at-dnd-enterprises is the seller at ebay where I bought both of mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been on this 5G Sonata site since it started, and i'm noticing the same questions all along:
1. I just bougt a GLS and i want to install this (something the SE & Limited have).
2. I just bought a SE and I want to install this (something the Limited has).

I'm no exception: I have the Limited and half-wish i got the backup camera. :)

Sometimes it makes sense just to get the top line model (fog lights, better stereo, leather, auto dim mirror, etc.) and relieve yourself of all the work and $$$ to to install these things aftermarket.

The price difference, spread out over the time you're keeping the car, becomes very little annually.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (TxSonata @ Oct 2 2010, 10:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360497
You should of bought a Limited, it has a autodimming mirror, a better sound system then the one on the SE and a lot more features that should of compared better against your previous car.
The autodimming mirror (with Homelink buttons) is actually a dealer installed upgrade on other models. I am not sure if theyre readily available yet though. I think some of those accessories have been slow to roll out, but its something you should be able to order.

·
Registered
385 Posts
QUOTE (jcmuse @ Oct 2 2010, 10:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360489
Hi,

I'm not that happy with the stereo either. I got the Premium which has the subwoofer (that the base model lacks), and the sound quality of FM is average at best. Several problems: it lacks bass, and it lacks clarity. I think it's partly to do with the speaker placement - there are no speakers on the rear parcel shelf, which is odd. My dad's 2007 Accord has them there, and the sound quality is dramatically better (and it doesn't even have a sub!). Don't even get me started on the apalling quality of AM (50% of people here in Australia still listen to AM).

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Oct 5 2010, 02:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361150
I'm not that happy with the stereo either. I got the Premium which has the subwoofer (that the base model lacks), and the sound quality of FM is average at best. Several problems: it lacks bass, and it lacks clarity. I think it's partly to do with the speaker placement - there are no speakers on the rear parcel shelf, which is odd. My dad's 2007 Accord has them there, and the sound quality is dramatically better (and it doesn't even have a sub!). Don't even get me started on the apalling quality of AM (50% of people here in Australia still listen to AM).

I had a dramatic improvement by just replacing the dash speakers with 1" soft-dome tweeters. Some very good and inexpensive ones are these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=265-263

before you scoff at the pricing, take a chance and order a set and listen with an open mind. God knows they are cheap enough!

Once the new tweeters are installed, turn the fader forward a few notches and enjoy. (I really dont like midrange or treble coming from behind me.) Doing it this way provides a decent sound "floor" with the imaging and vocals coming from in front of you where they'd naturally be if you were watching someone perform.

My next step audio-wise is to add a 12" sub to the trunk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
after listening again and setting the eqs back to default, its not THAT bad, in fact its decent enough.

one thing i find is i grow to like this car the more i drive it. the convenience of not having to plug in a key every time is huge.

the trunk is HUGE, definitely feels bigger than my old a6. also, i enjoy the AC control and its simplicity. I get annoyed at the over complicated ac systems i see on a lot of german cars (audi, bmw, benz). in fact, the general control layout of the car is really good. I like the fact they've moved cruise control onto the steering wheel. actually, i'd be **** if they didn't since the stalks feel pretty cheap.

The car does seem abit weird at times with the noises it makes and the feel of the ride. There is always some variation in the sound and feel it seems -- not necessarily a bad thing, but steering seems abit wonky at times.

also, does anyone else get complaints of echos from the person you're talking with on BT calls? where exactly is the microphone?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (jcmuse @ Oct 5 2010, 09:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361202
after listening again and setting the eqs back to default, its not THAT bad, in fact its decent enough.

one thing i find is i grow to like this car the more i drive it. the convenience of not having to plug in a key every time is huge.

the trunk is HUGE, definitely feels bigger than my old a6. also, i enjoy the AC control and its simplicity. I get annoyed at the over complicated ac systems i see on a lot of german cars (audi, bmw, benz). in fact, the general control layout of the car is really good. I like the fact they've moved cruise control onto the steering wheel. actually, i'd be **** if they didn't since the stalks feel pretty cheap.

The car does seem abit weird at times with the noises it makes and the feel of the ride. There is always some variation in the sound and feel it seems -- not necessarily a bad thing, but steering seems abit wonky at times.

also, does anyone else get complaints of echos from the person you're talking with on BT calls? where exactly is the microphone?
ive had echoes once but that happens with cell phones even without bluetooth so I chalked it up to "whatever". the microphone is right above you in the ceiling.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A few things ...

1- The Sonata is not a $40k car, so expecting the sound system to be equivalent to one is rather foolish.

2- It is entirely possible that the hiss you hear is not related to the sound system at all, but rather the quality of the signal you receive from the broadcast station. This is especially true if you are stuck with AM as are Aussie friend.

3- Depending on what kind of music you listen to - and at what volume levels - you are not going to be happy with most any factory sound system, which are designed for the average listener. If you want thumping base and all that you need more than just a power amp - you need quality speakers installed properly. Quality amps are expensive. Quality speakers are expensive. Proper installation of both is VERY expensive, and you won't get it in a factory system.

4- Cav is correct. It's might take a few new car purchases before you figure out that based over a 4 or 5 year note - those little things you later "wish" you got amount to a few bucks a month. Also - they are covered by the factory warranty - which add-on parts are not.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts