Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2010 GLS 4cyl and within the first week started having shifting issues. Initially it was only when it was colder than 30 degrees outside and would only shift harshly between 1st and 2nd. Once I had driven a few miles and warmed the car up, everything was OK. It's still an intermittent issue, but now it will do it when outside morning temps are in the 50's and 60's.

I've read the TSB for 6cyl 09's and saw a post in the Santa Fe forum that sounded identical, so at least I'm not the first to experience this.

I took it back to the dealership knowing it probably would not shift badly when they test drove it because we had run out of cold mornings. I picked the car up after they reset adaptive learning and said there were no updates available for the computer. (And also being told I had bad gas in the car. Another story for another time...)

Until it starts doing it at fairly regular intervals, there isn't any use taking back to the dealership as it's very inconvenient for me to get there.

I checked the link that had TSB's and didn't see anything for the 2010's. I figured I'd throw this out and see if anyone knew something or had some advice. Also, is there any place where I could check and see when software updates come out and what issues are addressed?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Sure, you should not be driving the Car until it is warmed up. You are driving a Frozen Sonata, and wondering why it isn't shifting

well? Today was 95 here. I never engage my car until the needle has left the cold area :00000732: :trophy:

·
Registered
74 Posts
The first time I shift after I start the car, the car always lurches a bit. Later it warms up a bit, bit it's still jerky transmission.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Your car is new and its computerized transmission may still get mixed up "learning" your driving habits... Driving a new car, sometimes the driver is inconsistent or likes to push his new car to the limit a bit too early (remember, break-in period, they tell you to be gentle to your car...). Still, you may want to reset your transmission, start all over again by simply disconnecting the battery cable and wait 5 minutes before reconnecting. You may lose your radio settings.

Or have the dealer flush the system's software, if he's willing to do it free.

I have done the above. The car now, with 31K miles, is shifting much more smoothly, but from time to time it will shift harsh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main reason for concern is my 98 Accord started shifting roughly on cold mornings at 225k miles. At 240k, the transmission went out and brought me to the decision to repair or replace.

I bought the Sonata after reading all the good reports to end up with a car that has a transmission issue.

MiamiLX, I hear what you are saying about letting the car warm up, but I respectfully have to disagree. Every car I have ever owned(12 so far), I get in it crank it and go. This is the first car to ever have this kind of issue other than my 225k Honda. I will agree that in a perfect world, we would let our cars sit and warm up a bit before we left, but I would bet that the majority of drivers do the same thing I do in the mornings. Not to mention, it also does it on 50 and 60 degree mornings now as well and sometimes on hot afternoons too.

As far as driving style, I don't drive like a granny, but I do drive like a person trying to conserve gas and take car of a new vehicle so it will last for at least 10 years. My teenage hot rodding years are over, and if they weren't, I'd be in a new Camaro. :banana:

The car had ~150 miles on it when I bought it and I was concerned that it may have learned the habits of car jockeys that drove it like they stole it, which is whey I had the dealership reset the adaptive learning. As far as I can tell it hasn't made any difference. The normal shifting was OK, it was just the harsh shifting until it warms up that bothers me.

This may indeed be nothing major to be concerned about and considered normal for this transmission, but it is disappointing to have a new car with a transmission quirk that requires me to deal with and accept as OK behavior, which quite honestly I will not do and should not have to. My only hope is that this car lasts as long as the Accord with no major issues. I truly want to believe that Hyundai builds a product with quality rivaling Honda, but my first impressions aren't taking me down that path. We also bought a 2010 Santa Fe and are really happy with everything about it other than a defrost issue when it is raining.

Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (DFarmboy @ Apr 26 2010, 09:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317131
I bought a 2010 GLS 4cyl and within the first week started having shifting issues. Initially it was only when it was colder than 30 degrees outside and would only shift harshly between 1st and 2nd. Once I had driven a few miles and warmed the car up, everything was OK. It's still an intermittent issue, but now it will do it when outside morning temps are in the 50's and 60's.

I've read the TSB for 6cyl 09's and saw a post in the Santa Fe forum that sounded identical, so at least I'm not the first to experience this.

I took it back to the dealership knowing it probably would not shift badly when they test drove it because we had run out of cold mornings. I picked the car up after they reset adaptive learning and said there were no updates available for the computer. (And also being told I had bad gas in the car. Another story for another time...)

Until it starts doing it at fairly regular intervals, there isn't any use taking back to the dealership as it's very inconvenient for me to get there.

I checked the link that had TSB's and didn't see anything for the 2010's. I figured I'd throw this out and see if anyone knew something or had some advice. Also, is there any place where I could check and see when software updates come out and what issues are addressed?

Thanks in advance.
Hi my 2010 Santa Fe does the same thing I asked one of the service advisors about this he said it is due to the cold transmission you you need to warm up the vehicle I never had this issue wtih my previous vehicles which were all GM cars.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (DFarmboy @ Apr 26 2010, 08:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317131

:00000732: to the Hyundai Forums!

Well,,, 1 thing is for sure, your car is under warranty! Another sure bet is, the dealer will
ignore you unless he starts the car on a cold morning and duplicates your complaint. I think
you're on the right track. Make sure the dealer has your complaint logged. Don't worry about
it, and take it back to them when cold weather returns or the problem worsens and begins to
shift rough even in warm weather.

Your instincts are good on cold starts. Start your car up, wait for the engine RPM to settle
down, and drive. Wait for it to warm up before driving fast or spirited. I'm sure that's the way
you do it.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Reading Bobad's post, and thinking of it, SURE, if one starts up a cold engine and IMMEDIATELY shifts to D while the RPM are still high above 1,000 --- what can one expect..... You need to wait like about a minute for the needle to settle down (not necessarily wait for the temp needle to start climbing, as long as you start driving gently, while letting the engine warm up)........ This is just plain logical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again guys. You are correct. I do give it a little bit to settle down before going down the road. My words may have sounded like as soon as it fired I was heading out of the driveway. But I still would not remotely classify it as an extended warmup for the car. And sometimes it doesn't happen in the first shift out of the driveway. It may shift fine the first time and do it coming out of the stop sign that's 2 miles down the road.

Bobad, you hit the nail on the head. I wanted to make sure they had record immediately of the issue even though chances of replicating the issue at the time were slim. If it gets more consistent I'll take it back soon, otherwise it will be next winter I'm sure before I can get the frequency that they will see it. I just hope that when they are able to replicate that I don't get the response that it just needs to run for 5 minutes and warmup. If so, I'll have to start dealership searching.

Who knows, by then there may be enough people having the issue to get a TSB released that I can print out and take to them and make their job and my life easier. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's just the car. I had a rental 09 GLS and now my 09 Limited and both would hard shift down from 2nd to 1st. the whole car lurches. Once warmed up seems to be fine. There are a couple threads here about it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
There is a revised TCM program for the 2009/2010,,, I was doing programs to the '09s with the 2010 update (4cylinder cars)... GDS just had recent update to combine the '09 & 10 PCM & TCM programs...

2010 cars were supposed to be updated before sale I think..

Go to dealer, install GDS and install programs # 184 & #185... pretty simple huh

·
Registered
155 Posts
This model shifts like sh*t, but does get better with time. Still it is a POS transmission........and the suspension too! What was I thinking when I bought this turd?? :innocent:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (dandaroy @ May 2 2010, 01:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318712
This model shifts like sh*t, but does get better with time.
Go get your PCM and TCM updated... If they
take the car right in for program, should be in/out in less than 1hr, unless you got to wait your turn for available tech.. Remind them to reset the adaptive values when done, and start the adaptive learn by driving at no more than 25% throttle up and down shift a few times before giving vehicle back

Still it is a POS transmission.
EEEEh, controls have a lot to do it,,, trans wont act on it own, solenoids just sit there, do as they told...

.and the suspension too!
Gas shocks, heavy springs, V-rated tires,,,, ride gonna be a bit firm and handle good if align set up right

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't have my notify feature setup and just now getting back to this post.

"Go to dealer, install GDS and install programs # 184 & #185... pretty simple huh "

I'll have to ask about these when I go in for service.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
500 Posts
QUOTE (grimmster @ Apr 30 2010, 10:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318388
It's just the car. I had a rental 09 GLS and now my 09 Limited and both would hard shift down from 2nd to 1st. the whole car lurches. Once warmed up seems to be fine. There are a couple threads here about it.
Do the 09s actaully downshift into 2nd? Ive never seen my Sonata downshift into second on it's own, mine will hold 3rd until about 7mph then lerch into first.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Idle drop automatically when you put it in gear. On my '06 never have a problem shifting. Before I changed the fluid I had a small problem went away after a few miles of driving.

2nd, when I changed my power steering fluid, well 2 of 3 pints, it stopped making noise when it was cold and seems to be smoother. Old fluid was pitch black.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 07' with the 3.3V6 also shifts hard from 1-2 and 2-3 and seems to have a lag shift during really cold starts, and when the engine temp is cold. However, it has never been a problem. When you start the car, and the engine temp is cold, let the RPM's settle before putting it in D, and don't go above 2500 until the engine is at operating temp. Feel for it. Once it is at operating temp it shifts fine! At operating temp, if you push it harder off the line (4-5K RPM) in 1rst, it shifts smoother into 2nd rather than just normal driving......hmm.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I have a 2010 sonata gls as well 4cyl mine did the same thing now pretty much at 22mph (2nd to 1st) is shifts very hard also wen climbing small hills with cruise on it will down shift one gear and run like 3,000-3,500 rpms doing like 65.... my car has only 53,000 miles and if I coast it will jumo rpms like it cant find the right gear... idk if you have experienced these other problems yet. Did you find anything out about the factory warranty j/w im pretty sure the dealer ship will not want to do anything about it except charge me $80 just to look at it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts