Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's old Taurus was on it's last gasp so we went shopping for her a new car. We started out looking for a low mileage used car but soon figured out that we could buy new for not much more money if we stuck with a "budget class" car. We were impressed with just how much car you can get with some of the current entry level vehicles.

We looked at and test drove several different cars but the Elantra was an easy winner in it's class for us. We liked it after a test drive and it gets very good reviews. I had always thought of the Korean cars as 2nd rate copies of Japanese cars but was surprised to find that is not the case on current vehicles. We were seriously considering a 2010 Corolla because the local dealership has them discounted for a very nice price but after a test drive we decided against it. We didn't like the steering at all, the disconnected feeling. We liked the Ford Fiesta but weren't too impressed with the looks, especially the juvenile feeling interior.

We decided on an SE over the GLS mostly because of the ESC. We had a salesman demonstrate this feature for us in another brand and were impressed. He took us to an icy parking lot and it was easy to feel the difference with it on vs turned off. I spent a day on the internet and phone locating the car we wanted and finally found it. We settled on a price of $14,688 for a basic SE with floor mats and wheel locks.

I mostly like the car. It isn't anywhere near broken in but fuel mileage is already averaging around 30-31 in mixed driving (mostly highway). One 75 mile stretch of 55 MPH secondary highway had the computer indicating an average of 40 mpg. I don't know how accurate that is. It handles well in snow and on ice. Front seats are comfortable with lots of room. The suspension is noisy and clunky on rough roads but it seems to work well and keeps the car planted so it does not really seem to be a defect in the suspension so much as a lack of noise control. The noise is just something to get used to, it is after all a budget car. The thunking kind of reminds me of an original VW Beetle. It is quiet enough on smooth pavement. The car doesn't have a lot of power but is adequate for our purposes and the engine seems to work well throughout the rpm range.

And you just gotta love that new car smell.

Now I just need to pry it loose from my wife long enough to do the first oil change...

·
1,914 Posts
:00000732: to the forum. Congrats on the purchase and the excellent price! What color did you get?

My friend bought a Corolla S as his first car and after 200 miles the steering was very unsafe. The car would drift from left to right very quickly and even if you had both hands on the steering wheel, it would try to pull. Toyota said to speak to the dealer. They wouldn't take the car back and they claim they did him a favor by getting him into another car. He leased a 2011 Camry. Now he wishes he listened to me and bought an Elantra or Sonata.

The Fiesta is just horrible. The center stack is too busy, I dislike the gauges, the shifting in that car is horrible with the auto, it's very narrow and small, and you can barely see out of the back window in the 5 door.

Again, congrats on the new car!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We got it in Carbon Gray Mist. It's a nice looking car.

We drove the Corolla, a new 2010, right after driving a barely used Hyundai Accent. It was quite a contrast. I commented to the salesman immediately about how different the Toyota felt. He went into a sales pitch about how high tech the steering was and how it drove like a "luxury car". At the time I hadn't read any reviews or talked to anyone who even owned a current Corolla so I was judging it strictly on my impressions uncolored by any preconceptions. At highway speed it was like steering a boat, you gave it some input, there was a delay, then it reacted, or more often over-reacted and you had to correct, there would once again be a delay then another over-reaction. Un-nerving to say the least.

My wife took her turn at the wheel. It didn't bother her as much as it bothered me but she also noticed it. She was thinking "new Corolla vs used car" and she thought we would get used to it. I got home and googled some Corolla reviews and found that a lot of people disliked the steering on it. Of course once we test drove an Elantra my wife was instantly in love with it and the Toyota wasn't even in the contest any more. Too bad about the steering issue, the Corolla was otherwise an OK car.

The 2011-2012 Elantra will undoubtedly be a **** of a car. It is nice looking and the GDI and resultant fuel mileage will probably be worth waiting for. But for someone who just wants a nice basic car and doesn't care about the latest high tech bells and whistles the 2010 leftovers are a great buy right now. And they are going several thousand dollars cheaper than the new 2011 will.

·
1,914 Posts
Carbon Gray Mist is my favorite color on the car.

The Corolla is just dangerous to drive. I have driven so many cars and truck and I've never been afraid. I drove this car over a draw bridge and I feared for my life.

I think the new 2011 Elantra is going to be the new Civic or Corolla. It's such a stunning car.

2010's are being given away right now and they are excellent cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts