Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I’m new to the forum and in desperate need of help. Replaced crankshaft position sensor withe a new one, on a 2005 sonata w/ 2.4 liter. All timing marks were lined up with little adjustment needed. Went to fire up car and it will not start. It is giving me a code for crankshaft position sensor circuit a low input. Does anyone think it could just simply be a faulty sensor out of the box. Should I just try another brand sensor or could it be something else I missed?

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
I think your new sensor is unlikely to be faulty. More likely there is a problem else where in the sensor circuit. Have you checked it has a good 12V supply and ground? Is there voltage (probably 5V) on the signal wire?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if I did this test right. I unplugged the sensor harness from Ecuador, with key on I have 12v at the power wire, continuity from Ecuador side ground to chassis ground no idea how to check the signal wire though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correction I do have just under 5 volts coming from Ecu side of harness. How would I check the sensor side as the wiring is sealed and no access when the harness is plugged in.

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
How would I check the sensor side as the wiring is sealed and no access when the harness is plugged in.
What I would do is back probe the signal terminal on the sensor harness connector with the sensor disconnected. Turn the ignition on and confirm you have 5V. Now, with the ignition still on, connect the sensor to the harness. Do you still have 5V? Now crank the engine while monitoring the voltage. Does it change while the engine is turning over?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 5 volts from the ecu side of the harness but when I plug in the harness and back probe it I get no voltage at the blue wire.i have 12v at the red wire

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got done installing another crankshaft position sensor and she fired right up. Now my problem is a rough idle and rough acceleration. Any idea what could of went wrong I had my timing marks all lined up best I could so I don’t know what to do next.

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
Just got done installing another crankshaft position sensor and she fired right up.
Note to self : never buy any driveworks sensors.

Great to hear you've got it started now at least. As for your rough running, sounds like you have a misfire. Was it running OK before the crank sensor failed?
I assume there is no misfire code logged yet? If not you should maybe do a cylinder contribution test to see if that highlights which cylinder is causing the rough running.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate the replies, thank you guys. Unfortunately I had to step away from the sonata due to other vehicles to work on. I did purchase a new timing belt tensioner actuator today as I did not feel great about the way it released when I removed the 1.5 mm Allen wrench from it. I don’t think it is misfiring though I don’t have the equipment to do a cylinder contribution test. It had new plugs and secondary wires recently. It has always had a slight rough idle since the previous owner had the timing belt done by our local dealership. But this major vibration has only started since I did the camshaft position sensor. I’m convinced it something wrong with the timing. Can anyone tell me how I can start from scratch with the timing including keeping the balancing shaft in line with the main timing belt. I just don’t want to tear that all apart again and not be quite sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good one. I could use a spark tester but that won’t tell me for sure that the cylinder is firing

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
I could use a spark tester but that won’t tell me for sure that the cylinder is firing
You don't usually need any tools to do a cylinder contribution test. Although on your V6 you might need a length of wire connected to ground, just to give the spark some place to go so it doesn't go through you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts