Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Hyundai Accent(only 7k miles on it) that I leased back in 2011 for 3 years and I will never lease an accent again.

-Worst car ever in the snow - I just take my Civic out instead
-Doesn't even have independent shocks in the rear so it rides like crap
-Rear driver side shock absorber started leaking.

Did Hyundai ever test this car before selling it?

The reason Hyundai has "Americas best warranty" is because they need it or no one would by there cars :D

Dont get me wrong, I still like Hyundai just not their entry level stuff.

·
Registered
102 Posts
RE: Snow- It's a tiny car with cheap, crappy stock tires. My snow tires turn this thing into an unstoppable monster.

RE: Torsion beam suspension- That should not be a surprise, that's on you.

RE: Leaking strut- Tough luck, it's mechanical things go wrong.

The upside for you- It's leased! Drop it off at the dealership when you're done, and don't think about it again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
RE: Snow- It's a tiny car with cheap, crappy stock tires. My snow tires turn this thing into an unstoppable monster.

RE: Torsion beam suspension- That should not be a surprise, that's on you.

RE: Leaking strut- Tough luck, it's mechanical things go wrong.

The upside for you- It's leased! Drop it off at the dealership when you're done, and don't think about it again.
Yup totally agreed with you!! i got until 2021 of payments on mine :(

·
Registered
907 Posts
Leaking shock should be under warranty. Double check that.

Torsion beam setups are much more common these days. Even the modern Civic Si models have torsion beams, how horrible.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
How can the driver's rear shock be leaking if it doesn't have independent rear shocks - wouldn't it just be "rear" shock is leaking in that case? :devil:
Dont feed the troll lol
Tend to agree, but if those are the OP's main concerns with the car after 3 years, I'm much MORE inclined to buy one.

I've seen too many enthusiast forums where everyone's car is absolutely flawless 24/7, so some objectivity is also helpful.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not flawless- but acceptable for a budget car.

I've got a dash squeak going on now (Purchased August 2011, 23k miles now).

Various parts make sounds the didn't used to: Cabin fan is louder, starter/battery are less happy at -20F, but it's handled everything we've asked of it with aplomb.

·
Registered
283 Posts
+1

I took one look at the tires on it, and went straight to the tire store before the first snow storm. The tires make it fun to drive in the snow.
I Have hills to climb on the way to work.

Not flawless- but acceptable for a budget car.

I've got a dash squeak going on now (Purchased August 2011, 23k miles now).

Various parts make sounds the didn't used to: Cabin fan is louder, starter/battery are less happy at -20F, but it's handled everything we've asked of it with aplomb.
It was the cheapest car I could find at the time and after 33,000 miles, I'm still happy with it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
lawlz, one of the cheapest cars on the market. Of course it isn't very good. But there isn't really anything *wrong* with it, either. It's just a commuter vehicle for the budget minded. I bought it because I liked the GDi engine and the 6 speed manual, and I thought it looked cool. You'd have the same complaints with any other car in its class.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I got the car thinking very good warranty means very good car. Yeah its nice that they can replace anytime under warranty within 5 years or 60k miles, but its annoying that I have to go to the dealership to get a shock replaced with only 7k miles on the car. Whats next....

Makes sense why the only old cars on the road are Honda's and Toyota's with 200k+ miles and are still beastin'. Once in a blue moon ill see a 95 Hyundai..lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got the car thinking very good warranty means very good car. Yeah its nice that they can replace anytime under warranty within 5 years or 60k miles, but its annoying that I have to go to the dealership to get a shock replaced with only 7k miles on the car. Whats next....

Makes sense why the only old cars on the road are Honda's and Toyota's with 200k+ miles and are still beastin'. Once in a blue moon ill see a 95 Hyundai..lol

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have over 10k on my car and I cut my springs so it rides like crap and is super low and my shocks haven't blown. It was either a factory dud (that they replaced under warranty) or you like to hit pot holes as hard as you can for fun.

I don't really like this car at all, so my opinion isn't that bias towards it... But it seems like you really don't have a single clue as to what makes a reliable/decently built vehicle. The things you are complaining about are just silly. You bought a car without knowing anything about it and are complaining about stock tires and a suspension design that you don't seem to fully understand. Stock tires suck on every car, including my 2006 Civic Si and 2013 Scion FRS that I had to get rid of. There is nothing wrong with the rear end suspension, several other cars on the road have the exact same design. Shocks go bad sometimes, they are a wear component on any car.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Hyundai is a relatively new auto company.. They've been around for a while, (I once had a 1989 Hyundai Stellar).. but they never became a major player in North America until around 2000, so you won't find that many that are older than that.. Hyundai isn't the only car that can have the odd problem... Read the complaints about Hondas here -> Top 622 Complaints and Reviews about Honda

You can find the same for Toyota and other vehicles.. It doesn't matter what company you deal with.. Not all vehicles that roll off the assembly line are perfect. If they were, you wouldn't need a warranty.

·
Super Moderator
3,818 Posts
A bad shock isn't that big of a deal, it happens. I overheard a guy at the office water cooler mention to someone he's got a 2013 Accord that just received a new strut. But nothing ever breaks on a Honda, right? ^_^

Better tires will help you in the snow. Independent rear suspension is nice to have, but good luck finding it in this segment and even on some larger, more expensive cars. It's not just Hyundai.

Judging by the posts here, these cars overall seem to be treating their owners very well.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
But nothing ever breaks on a Honda, right? ^_^
Talk to anyone who owned a 98-03 Accord, 99-04 Odyssey or 99-03 Acura TL and see how their transmissions did past 80,000 miles or so. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Or sit in a 30,000$ + Toyota and all the inside plastic moves and squeaks. This car has it's "faults" which are very minor considering how cheap it is

·
Registered
149 Posts
You don't usually see the words "lease" and "Accent" in the same sentence! :)

That's unfortunate and inconveniencing when you have to get repairs early, but anything else that annoys you should've been easy to detect in a test drive.

When I test drove it, I immediately loved it for what it is: one of the best entry-level vehicles out there! I was close to buying a Mazda 3 for more, but so glad I changed my mind, especially when the sales guy parked the Accent next to a Mazda 3 - pretty much same size, and I preferred the Accent's styling inside & out. And I owned a Mazda Protege before.

I have no problem with the suspension - it's a small car, it's gonna be a little bumpy over bumps, :) and it handles the Minnesota winters pretty durn good, even with just the all-year Coopers (not snow tires) I threw on ...

Two years & 25,000 miles in, I'm still loving this little bastid! I think many on here agree and are pretty fiercely loyal to this particular model.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like I got the worst car off the assembly line, all the dashboard lights flash at me randomly sometimes. Thanks Hyundai :00000732:
I was going to get an oil change after 18mons but not anymore, im handing this car in with 2 year old oil. Right back at ya ;)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.