Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a post in case someone experiences what happened to me three days ago. This problem goes by many names. So far I've seen it called the neutral-safety switch, the switch-inhibitor, and the range inhibitor. It is a part that is located under the air filter box. One needs to remove the air filter box in order to perform this fix.

I had this exact same symptom on my 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 1.8 (133,000 miles) as seen in the video here:

I was able to get around it by putting the vehicle in neutral, shutting the key off, and then starting the car again, just like it shows in the video. I pulled up another video of someone fixing this exact problem here:

This guy's video was super helpful. Everything he said was correct. The only thing I will add is this:

[/IMG]

Remove air filter box.
The silver control arm is going to block access to one of the B nuts.
Remove nut A first.
Do not adjust or attempt to remove nut X as there is no need to.
Swing the arm out of the way after removing A and then remove both B's.

The electrical clip was a bit hard to get off. Patience. Press on the clip exactly where the arrow shows. You may have to press and wiggle.

It helps to have small hands (I don't). It was also hard for me to remove the front bolt that holds the air filter box. I scratched up my arm, but I got it out.

I got the part on Amazon. It was the 42700-26500 Inhibitor Switch, as described in the 2nd video. They sent a 42700-26700 just like it shows in the 2nd video. The switch that the guy removed and the replacement was exactly like my Elantra.

The only thing that bugged me during this repair was that some online Hyundai Parts dealers will list the wrong switch. This varied from website to website. I used Amazon as they are great with returns. I paid 39.18 for the part. It was 35.19 for "two-day" ship and I decided to pay an extra 3.99 for "next-day." But in reality is still took two days to arrive.

It's fixed!

Good luck!
Hank

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is a recall for certain vehicles (unfortunately not the Elantra's that I have heard of) But the vehicles affected by this campaign include most of the following;
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
Certain 2017-2018MY Santa Fe XL (NC) vehicles built between June 27, 2016 and October 25, 2017
Certain 2017-2018MY Tucson (TL) vehicles equipped with Nu 2.0 GDI engine and built between June 29, 2016 and October 26, 2017
Certain 2017MY Sonata Hybrid (LF HEV) and Sonata Plug-In Hybrid (LF PHEV) vehicles built between June 28, 2016 and August 21, 2017
Certain 2017-2018MY Sonata (LFa) vehicles built between August 29, 2016 and June 23, 2017
Certain 2017-2018MY Santa Fe Sport (AN) vehicle built by HMMA (VIN starts with 5NM) between August 30, 2016 and June 30, 2017
Certain 2017-2018MY Santa Fe Sport (AN) vehicles built by KMMG (VIN starts with 5XY) between August 30, 2016 and July 14, 2017

Cause: In certain Santa Fe Sport (AN), Santa Fe XL (NC), Sonata (LFa), Sonata Hybrid (LF HEV), Sonata Plug-In Hybrid (LF PHEV) and Tucson (TL) vehicles, the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may be illuminated with DTC P0705 due to a faulty inhibitor switch.

If you believe your vehicle is affected by this contact your local dealer to confirm it is on your VIN. The recall must be attached to your serial number in order for dealers to perform the repair. If your vehicle is under the 5yr/100,000km warranty then it is covered but just be sure to do your due diligence before you work on your own cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been having the exact same issue with my 2013 Hyundai Elantra, the issues didn't start till 125k or so. It happened once than it was fine for a month, it happened again, was fine for a week, before it occurred again. Thinking its an issue that's only going to get worse, I took it to the dealer, they looked at it and said they couldn't find anything wrong except the battery cable was a little loose. It's been working without issue for the last 2 1/2 months, but I had trouble again with it last night. I ordered an inhibitor switch, I'll see if this addresses the issue. If it's going to break, I much prefer it stays broke so the issue can troubleshooted, these intermittent problems are so hard to resolve.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I replaced the Starter Relay and the Inhibitor switch. There's a 1/2 second delay from when the key is turned till the starter engages, but it's been starting every time so far. There was no delay before when it did work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts