Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Long post- Cliff notes:

If you look around you will get minor discounts off mrsp. Don't go to the Richmond Auto mall as you will not get discounts on mrsp.

Well here is what I have found in looking for one:

1) Mike Finneron in Courtenay BC offered $400 off on any trim level.

2) Went in person to the Richmond Auto Mall (Open Road Hyundai) and spoke with a salesperson there.... :

They had a GLS and a Limited in stock- both modified with dealer accessories. I looked at the GLS and it had pretty nice Hyundai aftermarket 20" wheels on it with low profiles and the windows had been tinted. The dealer advised me that the cost of the accessories was $3600 plus the cost of the car.

As the car was a demo as well I drove it and liked it.\

When it came to talking price though, the dealer advised me that he would not give any discount on the msrp price of the vehicle despite the fact that it was not new and was a demo (demo vehicles aren't a big deal to me but should be discounted IMO).

So he wanted the msrp for the GLS + levy + paperwork + retail for dealer installed mods. I told him this doesn't make sense as I could just order a new one with the same mods and get the same price (I'm not in a rush). the price after taxes =34g which in my view is way to high for this model... That's almost Acura territory (I have had good luck with Acura's).

I offered to pay sticker on the car (despite the demo status), however told him that I needed to get the mods (which I liked) at dealer cost and would like a $500 gas card as well.

He said no to the gas car but advised that he would ask about getting the mods at cost. After some time in the managers office he came back and said that they couldn't do anything and the price was the way it was. I walked away almost feeling like I had been snobbed out of a Hyundai dealership... If they are making full $ on the car, so what if they throw in mods at cost- they aren't losing money on them, just breaking even and they still sell a car (a demo car) for msrp...

I got an email the same day from the dealer advising me to give him a call as he could 'make me happy.' I called him and he told me that they could give me $900 of the mods but now quoted the price of the mods at being $3800... I turned it down obviously.

3) I went to another dealership which at this time I won't name as I am in the middle of seeing what they can do for me. If I get a successful deal here, I will get the same mods at cost on a GL which has been discounted. I'll let you know what I decide if you are interested.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got $500 off msrp plus free ipod cable and no extra charge for the glacier pearl white at 2.9% financing. The car they wanted to sell me was the demo I test drove but there is no way I'm buying a demo ever so they got me the car from Richmond Auto Mall. I probably could've done better but what are you gonna do. I'm enjoying the car alot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also important to note- I just called a US dealer and they have advised that they cannot sell new units to Canadian customers as its against the franchise agreement. As well Hyundai to prevent cross border sales has made the warranty void if this happens.

So no warranty either.... Guess we're stuck with CAD prices despite the dollar being US 1 - CAD 1.03 according to XE today.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also important to note-

"I just called a US dealer and they have advised that they cannot sell new units to Canadian customers"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the rush of CDN shoppers buying cars in the U.S. market when the dollar was on par, the CDN auto makers quickly came up with bogus rules designed to keep us over-paying inflated prices for the same vehicles here.

You can buy and bring back a "used" car but would have to drive it back across the border for any warranty issues. Could be a big problem if the thing died in your local parking lot.

To make matters more pathetic in Canada, Hyundai won't sell the "Iridesent Blue Pearl" paint option.

It's strange that most of the Hyundai promotion pictures of the new Sonata show it in that color but we can't get it here at any cost.

Stranger still is the fact that Hyundai Canada also doesn't list the SE model, we get the el cheapo GL, GLS and the Limited.

Other than extra shipping costs to Canada and a couple of hundred dollars in import paperwork there is no reason we should be shelling out thousands of extra dollars for each car.

Well, no reason except the Greedy Ba$$$rds at the dealerships.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I got $1300 off a Limited with Nav a month after release. The other dealer I talked too offered $1000 off MSRP with no negotiating. So since GL is less profit I would think you should have no issues getting $600 - $800 off. www.carcostcanada.com is a good resource. You pay to get a invoice pricing report. From here aim for 5% - 7% above invoice. Dealers wll accept this with lttle issues. You can certainly push for more but I feel giving them half the profit is fair. For carcostcanada they also have dealers signed up with them who will give you a good quote. The carcostdealer offered my $1000 but I was set to buy from my dealer as I like their service. I showed them the report and said I'll meet you half way between cost and MSRP. Sales man looked the report over and said that shouldn't be a poblem. Went to get ok from sales manager and all was accepted. No back and fourth bargaining, so the report is a huge tool for the consumer. Dealers know you know their cost so they won't play games

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with Souks... When I purchased our Limited we were able to get 1500.00 off MSRP without much negotiation. Just one back and forth. I did purchase a CarCost Canada report as well. I also spent time on RedFlagdeals looking at what other people purchased cars for. At the time we were trying to decide on an Altima or Sonata. From what I gleaned from reading was that you can almost always get a deal with 3% over invoice + transport fee then add taxes. If you don't wanna haggle at all try the APA website. They will help get a car for a fair price. They will even give you a dealer who will accept it and all you do is go to sign papers. I have not tried the apa website but my neighbor did for his Lexus ES350 and was very happy with the outcome.

I helped my friend find a new Sonata Limited with Nav( at the time they were hard to find don't know about now ) for 35,500. When I called dealers in the GTA they all seemed eager to help at that price. I had one dealer offer to go for 500.00 less than my price if we wait for hyundai to deliver. This was me just phoning around to different dealers.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
33 Posts
"I helped my friend find a new Sonata Limited with Nav( at the time they were hard to find don't know about now ) for 35,500. When I called dealers in the GTA they all seemed eager to help at that price."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No kidding, $35,500 for the same car that is being sold just across the border for $7,000 less! Sure the local GTA Stealerships were all eager to jump on that big fat windwall profit.

As long as CDN's still keep shuffling into their $howrooms like sheep, the fleecing will never end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (longo @ Jul 31 2010, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346345
"I helped my friend find a new Sonata Limited with Nav( at the time they were hard to find don't know about now ) for 35,500. When I called dealers in the GTA they all seemed eager to help at that price."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No kidding, $35,500 for the same car that is being sold just across the border for $7,000 less! Sure the local GTA Stealerships were all eager to jump on that big fat windwall profit.

As long as CDN's still keep shuffling into their $howrooms like sheep, the fleecing will never end.

Maybe we are getting fleeced... I was just trying to be helpful. If you don't like the price you certainly can try somewhere else. As been said many times before your warranty becomes invalid if buy a new from the states and try using it here. In the end it comes down to what you are willing to pay for. I don't know what my friend paid for his car and I didn't ask. I was helping him find the car he wanted. The op did ask about Canadian deals not how we are getting screwed compared to the US.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cliffs:
-CAD prices are abit high in comparison to USD
-didn't buy demo vehicle as deal wasn't good enough

Yeah I'm torn on this... I like that Hyundai has innovated so much with this car and produced what I think is the best overall value in its class and the best looking car in its class. On the other hand paying ~4-5g more than US customers seems like a backhand to the face. Is it the dealers or Hyundai's pricing? Something tells me maybe its abit of both.

Anyway I made an offer on the demo which was at the other dealership in Surrey and had 10000 kms on it. As this represents roughly 1/2 year driving for the avg consumer I made the following offer:

Sticker price was roughly 25k +freight+ paperwork minus:

12cents per km= $1200

loss of warranty at $100/month= $600

depreciation and wear (car had some noticeable interior wear)= $3000*

*The older Hyundais depreciated 6-7k in a year but I don't think this model will as its a considerable step up... so I offered half and was willing to move on this figure.

And then asked them to make the last two payments on my current lease = $800

and no paperwork fee ~$300 savings

Anyway the dealer agreed to the no paperwork fee, agreed to the km's, and said maybe to the warranty and lease payments but would not compensate at all for depreciation....

I ended up not getting it b/c I think that something should be considered for a car that although is sold as new (but has used warranty) has been used and is showing interior wear (and some scratches on exterior) from use. So it was a no go.

I liked the sales guy though because he would negotiate abit so I will go back to that dealership when I'm ready to buy.

Good thing I'm out looking early!

Good tip on the car reports I'm going to look that up and good to know that the rest of you got $1-1.5k knocked off of sticker...

·
Registered
16 Posts
As an interesting note when I went to get the windows tinted on my car there was a Toyota Salesman getting the Windows tinted for a customers new Toyota Venza. He was ogling my car when he asked me what my car roughly costs MSRP. During the conversation I mentioned how much higher the transportation fees were compared to the US. He mentioned to me that is where they hide extra fees for the dealer. So maybe there is wiggle room on the transportation fee as well. What really bothered the Salesman was that Toyota still offers a North American warranty. So you can buy a Toyota from the US and get the warranty honoured in Canada?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
From what I ready Toyota is one of the few that will honor the warranty but you will have to find a dealer willing to take a risk to sell to you. Toyota's dealer agreement prohibits the sale of new cars to customers looking to import it to Canada. So not a lot of dealers willing to loose their franchise to make a few sales to Canadians.

·
Registered
30 Posts
First post as I just purchased a new 2011 Sonata Limited with Nav. Had the dealer throw in all weather floor mats, mud guards, block heater and iPod Cable. Took advantage of the current 0% financing. All in out the door cost of $36,120

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fyi...Another place to get Canadian Dealer Invoice Pricing is from CarSaver.ca and it's FREE!!!! :) I certainly used it to my advantage. Dealer Invoice + 3% and it was accepted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are all these Canadian prices we're talking about include things like sales tax and any extra warranties? Or are we just talking about actual negotiated price of just the car?

There is only one Hyundai dealership here in Victoria, and I could have gone to Vancouver to shop around. However, I felt that they gave me a decent deal. MSRP on the Limited Nav is just over $32,500 with D&D, and I got mine for $30,600. Plus I didn't have to pay for any of the floormats, mud guards, ipod cable.

Of course once you slap sales tax on, and extended warranty (yes I bought that), etc... then the price balloons.

·
Registered
30 Posts
QUOTE (Zordflea @ Mar 6 2011, 05:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=411216
Are all these Canadian prices we're talking about include things like sales tax and any extra warranties? Or are we just talking about actual negotiated price of just the car?

There is only one Hyundai dealership here in Victoria, and I could have gone to Vancouver to shop around. However, I felt that they gave me a decent deal. MSRP on the Limited Nav is just over $32,500 with D&D, and I got mine for $30,600. Plus I didn't have to pay for any of the floormats, mud guards, ipod cable.

Of course once you slap sales tax on, and extended warranty (yes I bought that), etc... then the price balloons.
The $36,120 for my Limited with Nav included taxes and all options listed. No extended warranty. The best part was the 0% financing to 84 months. I thought I might as well use there money at 0% and throw what extra I had into TFSA's :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The 0% for up to 84 is a big incentive for sure. I'm thinking the Sonata isn't sell too well in Canada these days. Even the Tucson that has been out for about 2 years or so now has only gotten as good as 0% for 60 as of a couple months ago. So for the Sonata to offer 0% for 84 not even a year later is puzzling. I'm paying 3.4% for 48 about 10 months ago. If I haven't modded this thing so much at this point I would definantely look at trading it in for a turbo and take advantage of the 0%. I'm sure I'll still pay less per month still even with the hit in trade in value.

·
Registered
30 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Mar 6 2011, 08:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=411298
The 0% for up to 84 is a big incentive for sure. I'm thinking the Sonata isn't sell too well in Canada these days. Even the Tucson that has been out for about 2 years or so now has only gotten as good as 0% for 60 as of a couple months ago. So for the Sonata to offer 0% for 84 not even a year later is puzzling. I'm paying 3.4% for 48 about 10 months ago. If I haven't modded this thing so much at this point I would definantely look at trading it in for a turbo and take advantage of the 0%. I'm sure I'll still pay less per month still even with the hit in trade in value.
I think Sonata sales are down because of the popularity of the Elantra and the substantially lower price. Looks like Hyundai is trying to boost sales of Sonata in advance of the 2012's. The 0% financing allowed me to have payments of $430/mth over 84, $36,120 all principal :) This price makes leasing out of the question and in fact it may be cheaper than a similarly equipped Elantra. I will have to check that out.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts