Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Accent SE hatchback (AT)
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confession time, I have never serviced or replaced any suspension parts on my car after 110,000 miles / 10 years.
Now the front suspension is getting noisy going over bumpy pavement, most noticeable at low speed. Kind of a muted thumping sound coming from the front-right. And a few weeks ago the tire shop guy said my rear tires had a cupping wear pattern and weepage on the shocks so I should think about replacing them.

I plan to take the car into my local mechanic for proper diagnosis of the noise (Internet says it can be a number of things: control arm bushings, sway bar links, strut mount bearings, etc.) but what are all the things I had might as well get swapped out given the above?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
If something has failed on the left, change the one on the right etc.
It's not neglect to leave the suspension on a modern car alone, unless there's symptoms.
Just get wheel alignment checked occasionally, at least when replacing tires, IMHO.
The trick is finding an alignment tech who can be trusted to improve things.
It's common for a FWD car to make an odd tread wear pattern on the rear tires if rotations aren't regularly done.

Reactions: blowhole

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 2012 Accent has 552,000 miles on it and has never had a suspension part replaced and has never had a tire wear incorrectly. In fact, I haven't messed with the front struts because I'm afraid that the alignment will never be right again. Actually, I did replace the rear shocks a few times in the 100k to 200k timespan, but not since. The front struts started squeaking when I drive across the yard a few years ago, but I ignore it. I do rotate the tires every month.

·
Registered
2012 Accent SE hatchback (AT)
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2012 Accent has 552,000 miles on it and has never had a suspension part replaced and has never had a tire wear incorrectly. In fact, I haven't messed with the front struts because I'm afraid that the alignment will never be right again. Actually, I did replace the rear shocks a few times in the 100k to 200k timespan, but not since. The front struts started squeaking when I drive across the yard a few years ago, but I ignore it. I do rotate the tires every month.
What made you decide to replace the rear shocks?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts