Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Azera had an unfortunate incident with a curb 'pullout' that my stupid city built on my street for some reason, and you clear the darn thing by inches. Got distracted a fraction of a second and hit the darn thing. The good news is only the right wheels and tires hit, but strut, sub-frame and lower control arm were damaged. I never get distracted, but to learn the lesson that even one time can be too many, I paid for all of the damage out of pocket, to the tune of 4 grand. But that includes 4 of the best Michelin tires. And 2 new wheels, even though the rear one only had minor damage. Substracting my $1K deductible, it was a 3 grand hit. My rates would have probably gone up that much in 3 years, due to losing the good driver discount. Plus insurance wouldn't have bought the second wheel for sure, and only 2 tires. But as always, dealer experience didn't go well. They torqued the front wheels with an air wrench and they had at least 150 ft/lbs of torque on the lugnuts (had a **** of a time removing them, with the studs turning inside while making an awful sound), and they damaged the fender and bumper, so had to take it to a body shop, and now car looks (and smells) like if it was wrecked. With my luck, it's always something. Oh well. It's my highway car.

Anyway, I'm replacing the tires tomorrow, and I'll end up with 2 basically new (3K miles, with 9/32" tread depth) tires, and one wheel with minor curb damage. Are they worth anything? Would you keep them and try to sell them to recover a couple of hundred bucks, or just leave them at the tire place? I'm definitely scrapping the more damaged wheel, and the 2 damaged tires. Thank you in advance for your help folks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You might try listing them on CraigsList and see what kind of offers you get and then you could decide if it's worth your time and effort. I'm guessing the tires might fetch more just because there are not that many Azera owners to sell the rim to.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Depending on the damage you can have the wheels fixed and they come out like new. The cost is between $99.00 and $125.00 for the repair no matter what the damage is.

It will give you a second srt of wheels to work with.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depending on the damage you can have the wheels fixed and they come out like new.
Yeah, I know, but I wanted to punish myself for that stupidity, and since the car is basically new, wanted to put it back to new as best as possible. Stupid dealer messed up those plans with the damage, but THAT wasn't my fault. If I had known about the damage, I'd have just bought 1 wheel. The rear one has very minor damage.

Guess will bring that slightly damaged wheel home, as well as both tires. Will try selling the tires for $50 a piece (plus shipping), which is less than 1/4 of what they cost, and still look like new. And the wheel for maybe $100, which is also 1/4 of the cost. In case a fellow owner needs them due to a puncture or accident similar to mine. Thank you for your comments folks.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Azera damage. It is so heartbreaking when our personal car gets hurt, especially early in its life.

In addition to Craigslist, if you are an eBay seller, try listing the tires and wheel on eBay with shipping as "Local Pickup Only" and you won't have to deal with high shipping costs which hurt your selling success. I had tried to sell a heavy CRT television on Craigslist and got no responses. I put it on eBay with local pickup only and got 40 views in the first 3 days, then it sold for my full listing price despite having "make me an offer" as a choice.

Also, local tire and wheel dealers will buy them, but they pay wholesale in order to make a profit.

Then again, you could just keep the tires as "road hazard insurance" in case you damage another one in the future.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about your Azera damage. It is so heartbreaking when our personal car gets hurt, especially early in its life.
Indeed :(. And excellent advice; thanks. But that wasn't the end of the story. Stupid Discount Tire damaged one of the good wheels too, and after denying it was like that when I was absolutely 100% sure that wasn't the case since I polished it INSIDE the SUV (work gloves were dirty, and wanted to see exactly what damage they had, which was none). Anyway, they finally told me to get it repaired and bring the bill. So now will have to get it fixed. It never ends. Nobody seems to have pride in their work anymore, and they don't see the satisfaction of doing things right. It's a shame, and why I avoid dealers and shops like the plague. EVERY time I've needed to deal with them, from a tire change or a recall, something always goes wrong. Frustrating to no end, especially with a new car. Oh well.

Will try my luck with eBay, and see what happens. But might try first on this forum... if there's such a 'for sale' forum. Many thanks again for your suggestions and advice. Have a great weekend everybody.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should put some pics of the wheel and tire for the fellow members to see it!!!
Yeah, I know :D. Finally got around and took some. Here they are:

ELP_JC's Library | Photobucket

Couldn't find the official tread depth, but they have the same 9/32" that the new Michelin Primacy MXM4 have, with the same 94V load/speed rating. I put an ad on the classifieds for $75 each tire (+ shipping). It's less than half their cost new, and they're basically like new. No flats or any other damage. All 3 items (2 tires + wheel) for $200 (+ shipping). The new wheels cost me $400 each (+ shipping), and you can use this one as is without hardly anyone noticing any damage. If you want it like new, most mobile/fixed tire repair places charge $100 to refinish them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts