Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've searched and searched... I found some postings about installing mud guards (flaps) on a different Hyundai car, but not for an 09 Santa Fe. I found the guards and am ready to buy, but I want to make sure that I can actually do this myself first.

My 09 has a black guard running along the bottom of the doors (see pic below). Will this interfere with the mud flaps or will the flaps be accommodated over the "protrusion"? (if anyone knows what this is called, please feel free to enlighten me!)

From what I've read, I'll just need to take out the screws that are there and then attach the flaps - true?

[attachment=18696:100_1006.JPG]

Thanks!

Attachments

·
1,914 Posts
I usually put mudguards on all of my cars. My Santa Fe came with them but on my other hyundai's, you just screw them in. Holes are already drilled in the fender (you will have to remove 2 or 3 screws) and in the mudguards. They just go over top of that plastic piece. For the rear you will need something called a stubby screw driver to get them on.

Should take about 15-20 minutes.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll just go ahead and order them and I'm sure they'll work out.
I found a stubby screwdriver at a store the other day, so I think I'm all set :)

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (golfergurl @ Jun 11 2010, 06:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331967
Thanks. I'll just go ahead and order them and I'm sure they'll work out.
I found a stubby screwdriver at a store the other day, so I think I'm all set :)
My stubby wouldn't even make it when I installed my combo steps/mudflap -- had to grab my little right angle ratchet screwdriver to avoid dismounting the tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I just ordered my mud flaps so I'll see how it goes and report back. In the meantime I'll look for a right angle ratcheting screwdriver.
It seems that there's enough space for my hand... time will tell :)

Not to change the subject, but you mentioned that you installed a step - are these the same screws used for that? In other words - are both the flaps and the step attached at the same point? Is there another point of support for the steps?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (golfergurl @ Jun 11 2010, 01:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332124
Well, I just ordered my mud flaps so I'll see how it goes and report back. In the meantime I'll look for a right angle ratcheting screwdriver.
It seems that there's enough space for my hand... time will tell :)

Not to change the subject, but you mentioned that you installed a step - are these the same screws used for that? In other words - are both the flaps and the step attached at the same point? Is there another point of support for the steps?
Come to think of it, you're probably on the other side :wacko: -- my brain damage with the steps was in front of the rear tires where there were a couple of "mini flapettes" integrated into the sill molding. Those were designed to keep from throwing anything forward that got tossed into the front of the rear wheel well. My stubby would just barely fit between the tire and the screw - which is OK for tightening the screw a bit, but there was no room to back it out! My '08 Ltd already came with flaps of a sort behind the rears, and there's plenty of clearance back there for a stubby. And of course, the fronts are no problem at all. Just turn the steering wheel!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (golfergurl @ Jun 11 2010, 01:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332124
The Hyundai/Mobis steps that I installed have a sort of "mud flap" integrated into the front and rear ends - enough to keep the crud off the side of the car. The screws behind the front wheels were indeed re-used to mount the step.

·
1,914 Posts
You can reuse the screws that you will have to remove to put them on. A ratcheting screw driver actually may work better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did it!

So after a mix up in shipping where I got two sets of rear mud flaps (duh), I was ready to go. I did use a stubby screwdriver, which luckily had the reversible feature, so I could actually take the handle off and just use my fingers to get the screw started. One thing missing from the instructions is that the bottom "screw" doesn't actually screw in, it's more of a screw anchor - it won't get tight - and you're gonna have to turn your head upside down to see it! New screws did come with the flaps and I found it better to use the new ones for the anchors as they hadn't been stretched out yet.

Probably took me about 1/2 hour for each set - but I'm a girl :grin: and it was my first car "mod"!! :clap: I did get dirt in my hair when I think I put my head up against the front tire!

Thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
314 Posts
QUOTE (golfergurl @ Jul 8 2010, 08:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340016
I did it!

So after a mix up in shipping where I got two sets of rear mud flaps (duh), I was ready to go. I did use a stubby screwdriver, which luckily had the reversible feature, so I could actually take the handle off and just use my fingers to get the screw started. One thing missing from the instructions is that the bottom "screw" doesn't actually screw in, it's more of a screw anchor - it won't get tight - and you're gonna have to turn your head upside down to see it! New screws did come with the flaps and I found it better to use the new ones for the anchors as they hadn't been stretched out yet.

Probably took me about 1/2 hour for each set - but I'm a girl :grin: and it was my first car "mod"!! :clap: I did get dirt in my hair when I think I put my head up against the front tire!

Thanks for the tips guys.
Good on Ya Gal!!!

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Read this post & had been wanting to get mud flaps for my 09 Santa Fe. Checked e-bay & found a front & rear set for $42 plus $12 shipping. Printed it out to show the local dealer if they tried to charge me list price. She quoted me $39 for the front & rear set. I said I would take them. Then she said she quoted me from the wrong column but would stand behind the $39 plus tax.
I think I did good until someone says they got them for $38...........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hyundaiparts4less.com 9.08 a pair, but the shipping gets you - cheapest I found anywhere. They're actually a dealership.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts