Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I changed my shocks/struts , front upper control arms and strut mounts and the sway bar linkage. The vehicle still drives pretty badly in bumps and seems like everyday is different on the highway - depending on weather - it will drive great or crappy:confused:.

I also have a creeking noises from the front when I slow down into a sharper turn or pulling in to park.

I'm trying to figure out what else I need to look at - I brought the car into the dealer and all they came up with is my front driver side axel needs replacing because it's leaking - which will be done under the extended warranty - but I don't think thats where all the issues are.

Tires new last year - balance and alignment done and checked twice when I did the struts. Brakes new last year.

Oil Pan and accessory belt this weekend. I do have new sway bar bushings for the front and back - but not sure if it'll be easy to do that in the driveway seeing that the subframe needs to be dropped for the front.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds similar to all the issues I was having. The creaking sound turned out to be the brake hardware. When you did the pads did you change the shims or use the old ones? I used the old ones and as soon as I put the new stuff on the majority of the noise went away. The handling on mine was horrible, I had it to the shop three times for alignment. I had new Dunlop Signature II tires. Turned out the tires where crap. As I purchased them from Sams club I returned them and went with Michelin MXV4's. The difference is night and day. The rest of the noise I was hearing from the front actually turned out to be from the rear. The trailing arms had rusted so bad that the bushing had shifted to the point the metal of the arm was rubbing on the metal of the car attachment point. I also replaced the struts, shocks and all mounts along with the front ball joints, end links, and upper control arms. As a side note when I was doing all the work I couldn't help but notice how rusted and corroded the rear cross member was. I hope it will be part of the recall!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds similar to all the issues I was having. The creaking sound turned out to be the brake hardware. When you did the pads did you change the shims or use the old ones? I used the old ones and as soon as I put the new stuff on the majority of the noise went away. The handling on mine was horrible, I had it to the shop three times for alignment. I had new Dunlop Signature II tires. Turned out the tires where crap. As I purchased them from Sams club I returned them and went with Michelin MXV4's. The difference is night and day. The rest of the noise I was hearing from the front actually turned out to be from the rear. The trailing arms had rusted so bad that the bushing had shifted to the point the metal of the arm was rubbing on the metal of the car attachment point. I also replaced the struts, shocks and all mounts along with the front ball joints, end links, and upper control arms. As a side note when I was doing all the work I couldn't help but notice how rusted and corroded the rear cross member was. I hope it will be part of the recall!
Was it hard to change the trailing arms?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Changing the control arms was easy. You will need a 22mm wrench and a 17mm wrench possibly a hammer to persuade things and I my case two floor jacks. The trickiest part was getting the arm into place where it connects to the suspension. I used the second floor jack to lift the arm from the underside and slide it to place. The jack pushed the suspension to the rear and the arm slid right in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts