Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellows, my mother did the unthinkable this morning and did some damage to the engine. I was at work when this happened. She was driving and apparently Orange light of some sort came and she ignored it and then white smoke came and she was disabled and called me to come and deal with it. Car broke down 1 Block away from my house.

The timing cover is burnt and the Timing belt looks like is melted into the Camshaft Gears. The Engine Crankshaft turns with no problem when I tried to start it. The Water pump pulley does not turn.

I know that this is an interference engine and I have a 1% change that the valves are ok but here is my question. Can I save it by doing some checks? It looks to me that one of the pullies or water pump failed first and went from there. I did not see water in the oil.

I cut the timing belt ( Melted part) to free up the Camshafts but when I try to spin it with a 17mm socket, it moved but in a snapping motion forward. Should the Camshaft move freely now. What sorts of checks can I do to see how bad the damage is.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I know that this is an interference engine and I have a 1% change that the valves are ok but here is my question. Can I save it by doing some checks? It looks to me that one of the pullies or water pump failed first and went from there. I did not see water in the oil.
Let's say you are very lucky and there is no damage to pistons or valves...you can't rotate either or you will do some damage of your own doing. You need to remove the spark plugs and inspect where the pistons are...if they are all down out of the way of the valves, you can rotate the cam to its timing point. and then the crank to its timing point. Then install the belt. Then rotate it timed...and see how it goes...and Good Luck! PS, I'm only and old weekend mechanic! :closedeyes:

Reactions: Old's Cool

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I don't know why companies are still designing interference engines. With modern engine management you can get just as much out of a N-I engine...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The snow is not helping me. I can't get the car into my garage because another car is down. :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some troubleshooting today. The Water Pump Pulley Seized and caused the timing belt to over heat and finally cause it to snap by the Crankshaft.

I probably have bent valves. I tried looking for bent valves with Inspection camera and pistons were fine but I could not see the valves.

There is a Weep Hole right behind the AC compressor. Prognosis does not look good right now.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If your valves hit the pistons you should see the markings on the pistons, even if you cannot see the valves. Pistons almost always have some amount of carbon on the tops, so look close for impact points. If they are not there you will want to check for head gasket blown after getting the timing belt replaced. Could be the water pump failed and the engine overheated before the belt broke.

I am always the optimist. :)

Either head gasket or valves, the head comes off.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Replace water pump, flip a belt on and see if it start and run.... Make ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU HAVE CRANK PULLEY IN PLACE PRIOR TO START UP....... this will keep belt from walk off if it happen to start and run,, evaluate from there.. you can run for couple minute without coolant.. 2 minute tops to male evaluation.. run fine, be done with it... lumpy bump / rough / poor run, then we have other issues

Reactions: flemmons

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. I am ordering a new set of Timing belt.

I had a similar failure on my E46 Bimmer a couple of weeks ago. pulley Seized. Caused a nasty damage. Not the Timing chain.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Turn the crankshaft with a spanner (lightly) and see if you can feel and hear compression. Don't turn it too hard. I had a Mitsubishi 4g64 2 weeks ago sheared the crank key off and the valve timing was 45 degrees out and it didn't hit the valves.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Timing

So,I went ahead and replaced Water pump, pulleys,the Belt and went ahead and cycled the Engine first manually and then cranked it with Inj and fuel pump fuel pulled out. Then I went and tried to start it and it looks like I have the timing wrong.

I followed the instructions I see. Before I put the Timing belt on, I lined up Cylinder 2,4,6 Camshaft Gear to the White Dot. Then Camshaft 1,3 and 5. For some reason, the Cam gear for 2,4,6 lined up perfectly. It snapped into place but the one for 1,3,5 didn't and I have to manually hold it there so its lined up with the white dot.

Crank shaft to the White Dimple.

I always have a hard time with the V6's. 4's I have no problem. Does it sound like I don't have it lined up to the Compression stroke?

Refresh my mind, 4 Stroke means that the Engine Crankshaft has to rotate 4 times before it is back to compression phase, Right?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
4 stroke means two strokes per rotation
1. Intake air/fuel
2. Compression
That makes one complete rotation
3. Explosion
4. Exhaust
That makes second complete rotation

Each stroke requires the crankshaft to rotate half or 180 degrees

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that info. 180° sounds good. I took all the timing covers off again and was trying to get a better look at the timing marks. I tried taking a picture of the marks and could not get a straight shot. Perhaps tmrw night I will try again. Its possible that when I made the belt tighter, one of the cams moved slightly.

I am hoping for that. I still don't understand fully why the Camshaft Gear for Cylinder 2,4,6 were lining up with the timing marker on the valve cover with no belt on and the one for Cylinder 1,3,5 did not do the same. I had to use the socket driver to hold it on the camshaft gear while I was placing the new belt on. That did not feel ok.

Have you ever rotated both Camshafts with no belt on and observed their behavior?

I have cycled the Crankshaft completely and also cranked the engine with the starter and did not hear any metal on metal noise. It sounded like cylinders are compressing but not firing. SOUND and nothing analytical yet.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
You have to think when you turn the camshaft your opening and closing valves. Horsepower robbers but that's a necessity in that type of engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Engine is Toast I think

I think there is no Hope for this Engine. I changed timing belt, pulley, Water pump and lined everything up and I cycled it through a couple of times manually and did not see or hear anything unusual. The Car simply won't start. I tried cranking it and nothing.

I don't have the time to tear this engine down to fix the bent valves.

Not happy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did, #1 is not holding the Air and I put a inspection Camera in there and you can see where The Valves hit the Piston. This Explains why I had difficulty a little with Left Camshaft.
So, the question now is, Can I take the Cylinder Heads off without removing the Exhaust Headers? Just taking the Bolts off the Headers and Sliding the Heads inward a little and then lifting the Heads. I wanted to Share some pictures with you guys but Photo Bucket is no longer a good choice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts