Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the wife's 2014 Santa Fe just hit 48K miles and I think its time for new tires. We still have the oem Continental Cross Contacts and they have served us well!

What are you guys replacing with when needed??

·
Registered
975 Posts
Our 2014 XL has about 45K miles and our treads still has lots of life left probably due to the fact that we have a winter tires set as well. Maybe in a year or two when we do replace it we will go with Michelin Primacy MXV4 all season tires, seen a lot of great reviews on it throughout the other forums. I also had BF Goodrich, General G-max all season tires in my previous vehicles and it was still a tad noisy to my liking. Will be looking for more quieter tires for our next purchase, again this is just my preference based on my previous experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our 2014 XL has about 45K miles and our treads still has lots of life left probably due to the fact that we have a winter tires set as well. Maybe in a year or two when we do replace it we will go with Michelin Primacy MXV4 all season tires, seen a lot of great reviews on it throughout the other forums. I also had BF Goodrich, General G-max all season tires in my previous vehicles and it was still a tad noisy to my liking. Will be looking for more quieter tires for our next purchase, again this is just my preference based on my previous experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the ideas! Will check them out!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I recommend Continental tires. They seem to offer the best of everything without spending hundreds more for Michelin. I swore off Michelin about 5 years ago. My 07 SantaFe could never get more than about 38,000 miles out of a pair and they were shot. Also Had Michelins on my Ford F150. They cracked like crazy and had to replace them when they were only half worn.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recommend Continental tires. They seem to offer the best of everything without spending hundreds more for Michelin. I swore off Michelin about 5 years ago. My 07 SantaFe could never get more than about 38,000 miles out of a pair and they were shot. Also Had Michelins on my Ford F150. They cracked like crazy and had to replace them when they were only half worn.
Thanks for the advise! Will check prices on them as well.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My 2017 is approaching 32,000 miles and I'm starting to see noticeable wear on the tires. I think going up and down three levels in a concrete parking garage and making constant tight turns is causing more wear than normal. My lease is up end of May, hopefully I can make it through the winter without issue.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
My 2017 is approaching 32,000 miles and I'm starting to see noticeable wear on the tires. I think going up and down three levels in a concrete parking garage and making constant tight turns is causing more wear than normal. My lease is up end of May, hopefully I can make it through the winter without issue.
Rest assured when anyone turns in their vehicle at the end of a lease...they do a thorough inspection. Many people come to see that those inspections uncover all sorts of things that reduce the residual value (condition, repairs, mileage, etc.), which ends up meaning people turning in their leased vehicles have to pay additional out-of-pocket costs at that time.

That includes "excessive tire wear", which is not covered under any manufacturer's warranty. The tire manufacturers have their own warranty, and it's prudent to have them inspected sooner than later if it seems excessive - that allows for a better pro-rated credit on new ones.

Having worked with the auto finance industry for decades...it's why I would never lease a vehicle myself - too many restrictions while under the lease, and too many surprises at lease termination.

If they are in fact "excessive" worn based on mileage...the pro-rated credit becomes "negotiable in many cases.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Rest assured when anyone turns in their vehicle at the end of a lease...they do a thorough inspection. Many people come to see that those inspections uncover all sorts of things that reduce the residual value (condition, repairs, mileage, etc.), which ends up meaning people turning in their leased vehicles have to pay additional out-of-pocket costs at that time.

That includes "excessive tire wear", which is not covered under any manufacturer's warranty. The tire manufacturers have their own warranty, and it's prudent to have them inspected sooner than later if it seems excessive - that allows for a better pro-rated credit on new ones.

Having worked with the auto finance industry for decades...it's why I would never lease a vehicle myself - too many restrictions while under the lease, and too many surprises at lease termination.

If they are in fact "excessive" worn based on mileage...the pro-rated credit becomes "negotiable in many cases.
I paid for lease damage insurance, that gives me the ability to return the vehicle with worn tires, up to $2500 in damage, and 200 additional miles.

Hopefully it works and there isn't a hidden catch

·
Registered
441 Posts
I paid for lease damage insurance, that gives me the ability to return the vehicle with worn tires, up to $2500 in damage, and 200 additional miles.

Hopefully it works and there isn't a hidden catch
I'm assuming that is "gap insurance" - designed to cover any "gap in cost" between what they said it would be worth at the end of the lease and what they determine the actual worth to be based on their inspection. Gap insurance is good for that purpose...but as you likely know...it's not cheap.

Typically...that takes care of most or all of the risk.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm assuming that is "gap insurance" - designed to cover any "gap in cost" between what they said it would be worth at the end of the lease and what they determine the actual worth to be based on their inspection. Gap insurance is good for that purpose...but as you likely know...it's not cheap.

Typically...that takes care of most or all of the risk.
No, gap insurance is in case you total the car and its worth less than the amount owed so you don't get stuck owing money and not having a car.

This was something else, forget what it is called. It was $10 a month.

·
Registered
441 Posts
No, gap insurance is in case you total the car and its worth less than the amount owed so you don't get stuck owing money and not having a car.

This was something else, forget what it is called. It was $10 a month.
Actually that is not fully accurate. Gap insurance covers the "gap" between the lease residual value and the value post-inspection at the end of a lease.

True gap insurance in the U.S. averages more than $40/month. It sounds like your insurance is something else.

While it is most commonly applied for accident damage, yes...most gap policies can be applied at lease termination for a list of reasons. Folks with limited deposits at the front of a lease, vehicles that depreciate faster than other makes/models, and even collision-repaired vehicles where the repair work was subpar can all end up with a lease-turn in value below what was thought at the start of the lease (residual value estimate).

People need to read all the fine print in a gap policy and not rely on what any salesperson tells them it covers.

In the meantime...hopefully you're in a good place as far as your tires holding up. I've read plenty of folks who have gotten more than 50,000 miles on their original Kumho tires.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lost here guys! I thought gap insurance was only when you purchased a car by financing it and not on a lease!

Learned something new!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Lost here guys! I thought gap insurance was only when you purchased a car by financing it and not on a lease!

Learned something new!
You can get gap on a lease or a loan.

Some dealers really "promote" it...it's very profitable for them.

Certain brands/models of vehicles depreciated faster than others...so the risk of having to make up the difference on a lease-end or an accident falls on the buyer if they don't have it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well, the wife's 2014 Santa Fe just hit 48K miles and I think its time for new tires. We still have the oem Continental Cross Contacts and they have served us well!

What are you guys replacing with when needed??
I had the same tires and they really started to get a lot of road noise at 30K so I replaced them. I looked at Consumer Reports and they listed the Kumho Krugen as one of their top pics and they also came OEM on a lot of Santa Fe's. I found a local guy who had the 19" Krugen's dirt cheap so I got them. Been on for about 7K miles and are doing good. Nice and quiet.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can get gap on a lease or a loan.

Some dealers really "promote" it...it's very profitable for them.

Certain brands/models of vehicles depreciated faster than others...so the risk of having to make up the difference on a lease-end or an accident falls on the buyer if they don't have it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the same tires and they really started to get a lot of road noise at 30K so I replaced them. I looked at Consumer Reports and they listed the Kumho Krugen as one of their top pics and they also came OEM on a lot of Santa Fe's. I found a local guy who had the 19" Krugen's dirt cheap so I got them. Been on for about 7K miles and are doing good. Nice and quiet.
I’ll check those out too, thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Nice.

It sounds like the original poster is trying to make it to the end of their lease without having to pay for a set of new tires. I can understand that overall. Depending on the wear, it might be as much a safety matter as cost consideration. They would know best, as they can see the wear.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice.

It sounds like the original poster is trying to make it to the end of their lease without having to pay for a set of new tires. I can understand that overall. Depending on the wear, it might be as much a safety matter as cost consideration. They would know best, as they can see the wear.
I’m the original poster and it is not a lease! It’s just that the wear tabs are almost even with threads to I better start my research on new tires.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I’m the original poster and it is not a lease! It’s just that the wear tabs are almost even with threads to I better start my research on new tires.
Gotcha. Another poster referenced they were on a lease. Sorry.

Yeah...safety comes first when it comes to tires.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Recently put Continental Extreme Contact DSW06's on my wife's Tuscon. We noticed an immediate improvement in ride and handling. My daughter has the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S on her's and she is really pleased. I would check either out. When my Khumo's wear out, I will probably go with either of the above tires.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts