Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I special ordered Michelin pilot sport A/S plus tires from Costco. Grand total $ was about $750

Very happy with them - But Tirerack.com is always a good starter place to look for tire info.

I'm not a believer in frequent tire rotation for the simple reason that I've seen the damage meatheads can do when they raise cars up, remove and reinstall wheels.

But it should be done when you notice uneven wear - as a bare minimum. Get a tread gage - they can still be had. I think personally that people rotate tires too often - assuming that they really do it as often as they say.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ May 31 2010, 07:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328244
I rotate my tires every 6k miles approximately. If you don't like someone else doing it, try doing it yourself. Of course an impact and good jack helps. I get it done free at Tire Kingdom. What damage do they do to the car specifically?
"A good jack" doesn't quite do the job - think about it.

What damage can they do? Friend of mine took his Corvette in. They positioned two of the lift pads incorrectly. The result? A nice soft plastic Corvette that got mooshed in two places. He was so broke up, he got rid of the car. And - get this - he worked at a dealer - parts man.

Also, these guys routinely overtighten lug nuts, or strip them entirely, with impact wrenches. And, I have had them go in the other direction - lug nuts only finger tight.

6K miles sounds like a good rotation interval - some people do it (or claim to) at 2K miles which is really punishing both yourself and the car.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (John520 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328444
I rotate my tires which in my experience gives me maximum mileage. That said, I agree with some other responders that leaving your car in the hands of the "fresh-out-of-tech-school" kid mechanic is risky. I take my car in, or turn it over to outsiders the least number of times I have to.

After I bought new tires at Costco recently, they attached a red tag to the sales contract telling me to bring the car back after a short time - I think it was one day - for a "safety inspection".

The real reason? They wanted to do a follow up on the lug nuts to see if they were torqued up tight. My guess is that they were probably sued at some time in the past - or they simply don't trust their own people to do the job right the first time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.