Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Sonata GLS with 20,000 miles and my front tires are shot. I need new tires and would like suggestions. The size is 215/60R16

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like some suggestions are which are good tires for the car. I had a van for years so I am not knowledgeable on car tires. I don't want to spend a fortune but want decent tires that will last.

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (dd50 @ May 31 2010, 12:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328113
I have a 2008 Sonata GLS with 20,000 miles and my front tires are shot. I need new tires and would like suggestions. The size is 215/60R16
Dang, 20k miles!! What are you doing burn outs? Geesh, I got 75k out of my stock Michelins. Did you ever rotate? Drive in circles all day? In what way's are you tires worn? What's the tread depth? Shoulder wear? Are the cords coming through? Are they dry rotted? More details would help, thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Big B @ May 31 2010, 04:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328180
Dang, 20k miles!! What are you doing burn outs? Geesh, I got 75k out of my stock Michelins. Did you ever rotate? Drive in circles all day? In what way's are you tires worn? What's the tread depth? Shoulder wear? Are the cords coming through? Are they dry rotted? More details would help, thanks.
I didn't rotate because someone said that I would then need 4 tires fast. It looks like the thread is wearing evenly but not much left. Don't need an alignment or any thing like that. Don't know how to calculate the tread depth.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I special ordered Michelin pilot sport A/S plus tires from Costco. Grand total $ was about $750

Very happy with them - But Tirerack.com is always a good starter place to look for tire info.

I'm not a believer in frequent tire rotation for the simple reason that I've seen the damage meatheads can do when they raise cars up, remove and reinstall wheels.

But it should be done when you notice uneven wear - as a bare minimum. Get a tread gage - they can still be had. I think personally that people rotate tires too often - assuming that they really do it as often as they say.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (dd50 @ May 31 2010, 06:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328208
I didn't rotate because someone said that I would then need 4 tires fast. It looks like the thread is wearing evenly but not much left. Don't need an alignment or any thing like that. Don't know how to calculate the tread depth.
Your original tires were expensive Michelin Energy MXV4, which are not rated too highly, but should have lasted a good 40k or more. Rotation helps a lot.

You can gauge tire wear by the little wear nubs embedded in the groves of your tire. When you get down to the nubs, it's time to change your tire.

Tire Rack says the best reviewed tire is the Michelin Primacy MXV4, which cost less than the Energy but have better performance.

The tire I would probably buy is the Kumho Ecsta Platinum, which are a good balance of price and performance at $84 a pop at Tire Rack. They have a high wear rating and get good reviews. Take them to Walmart for mounting with lifetime rotation and balance for $60. Total cost is under $500.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I rotate my tires every 6k miles approximately. If you don't like someone else doing it, try doing it yourself. Of course an impact and good jack helps. I get it done free at Tire Kingdom. What damage do they do to the car specifically?

The whole not rotating your tires because you will need tires fast is totally wrong. You ROTATE so yo don't need tires as often, again 75k on my original Michelin's with rotations.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like the Falken Ziex ZE 912. They're pretty cheap from Discount Tire. Last time I got the 15 inch set for around $400 installed. Since you're only looking for 2 tires, that'd make it $200, with all the warranty, which now that I realize, I shouldn't have bought.

Another value tires seem to be Kumho for me. They're pretty cheap for the life and performance they provide.

Michelins are overrated.

And about rotations, imho, they help with tire wear, so that you can change all four tires together. If you don't do rotation, your front tires will have to be changed separately from the rear tires. I don't see it as much of a problem as some do, but hey, to each his own. :)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ May 31 2010, 07:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328244
I rotate my tires every 6k miles approximately. If you don't like someone else doing it, try doing it yourself. Of course an impact and good jack helps. I get it done free at Tire Kingdom. What damage do they do to the car specifically?
"A good jack" doesn't quite do the job - think about it.

What damage can they do? Friend of mine took his Corvette in. They positioned two of the lift pads incorrectly. The result? A nice soft plastic Corvette that got mooshed in two places. He was so broke up, he got rid of the car. And - get this - he worked at a dealer - parts man.

Also, these guys routinely overtighten lug nuts, or strip them entirely, with impact wrenches. And, I have had them go in the other direction - lug nuts only finger tight.

6K miles sounds like a good rotation interval - some people do it (or claim to) at 2K miles which is really punishing both yourself and the car.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would look at Firestone FR710.

They are rated as a passenger(not performance) tire with 65K mile warranty (for what that's worth).

I got a set of 4 installed with road hazzard to $550.

Had them just over a month and they appear to be good. I will know more in a year to be sure.

Right now I am satisfied.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The Corvette has special procedures when it comes to jacking it up and putting it on the lift. It's one of few car's that require it:

http://www.z06vette.com/diy_lift.php

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvett...-locations.html

Thank fully we don't have the hassle with our cars. As long as they use a torque wrench, they won't over strip. Some stores are better than others.

QUOTE (kn5owa @ Jun 1 2010, 08:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328396
"A good jack" doesn't quite do the job - think about it.

What damage can they do? Friend of mine took his Corvette in. They positioned two of the lift pads incorrectly. The result? A nice soft plastic Corvette that got mooshed in two places. He was so broke up, he got rid of the car. And - get this - he worked at a dealer - parts man.

Also, these guys routinely overtighten lug nuts, or strip them entirely, with impact wrenches. And, I have had them go in the other direction - lug nuts only finger tight.

6K miles sounds like a good rotation interval - some people do it (or claim to) at 2K miles which is really punishing both yourself and the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rotate my tires which in my experience gives me maximum mileage. That said, I agree with some other responders that leaving your car in the hands of the "fresh-out-of-tech-school" kid mechanic is risky. I take my car in, or turn it over to outsiders the least number of times I have to.

However, I doubt that any amount of rotation would have saved your tires. 20,000 miles??? Something else is going on. You've got a bad alignment, weak struts, or something out-of-whack.

Regarding your tires, my 30 years of driving experience has taught me that...surprise...you get what you pay for! If your car is nice, and/or you travel a lot, I'd go for a brand-name tire. For my beater, I buy the cheapest tire I can find.

I also ride motorcycles, and you REALLY notice the difference between the cheap tires and the expensive tires. The better tires handle better, stick to the road in corners better, and are way better in the rain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your advise. I would like to know if I could use "H" rated tires if I will still have 2 "V" tires on there? What would be the difference between 95V and 94V?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (John520 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328444
I rotate my tires which in my experience gives me maximum mileage. That said, I agree with some other responders that leaving your car in the hands of the "fresh-out-of-tech-school" kid mechanic is risky. I take my car in, or turn it over to outsiders the least number of times I have to.

After I bought new tires at Costco recently, they attached a red tag to the sales contract telling me to bring the car back after a short time - I think it was one day - for a "safety inspection".

The real reason? They wanted to do a follow up on the lug nuts to see if they were torqued up tight. My guess is that they were probably sued at some time in the past - or they simply don't trust their own people to do the job right the first time.

·
Registered
505 Posts
QUOTE (dd50 @ Jun 1 2010, 11:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328462
Thank you all for your advise. I would like to know if I could use "H" rated tires if I will still have 2 "V" tires on there? What would be the difference between 95V and 94V?

wish I knew the answer...

I never have been a fan of replacing 2 tires...it works, but seems to me it might impact the ESC if the tires are not matched. Then again, it might not make any difference at all...

·
Registered
550 Posts
I agree with Klute. Switching two tires is generally not recommended. Although the risks are minimal, you want all four corners to behave the same way. The different tire characteristics reveal themselves mostly at the car's limits, such as high speed turns, emergency braking, driving in snow, driving in rain, etc. The more dissimilar the tires, the greater the chance the car can get unpredictable.

That said, an "H" speed rated tire (up to 130 mph) will probably have a softer sidewall than a "V" speed rated tire (up to 149 mph). That would affect handling. The number "95" and "94" refer to the tire's load rating. The higher the load index, the more weight it can carry. That would affect the car's handling and control when fully loaded. My guess is that you probably wouldn't feel much of a difference.

Look at this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...y.jsp?type=GTAS

It's a Tirerack survey. It puts the Michelin Primacy MXV4 ($141/tire) and the General Altimax HP ($83) at the top of the heap in their category. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am also a fan of replacing all four tires at once. I put Cooper CS4 Touring tires on my 2009 Sonata. They are much better in terms of sound and ride quality over the OEM Michelin's. I believe they were $470 out the door with lifetime rotation, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been doing some research about tires for my Sonata, and I found Nexen N5000's at Walmart for $108 each, price includes free tire rotations. I read numerous reviews about them, none of it bad. It seems they are a great performance tire, rated both H & V for speed, with a 100,000 km rating. Check out this review: http://ezinearticles.com/?Nexen-N5000-Revi...&id=3695629

There are a couple of ways to check your tire profile. One is to insert a penny upside down into the tread. If the queen's crown is not covered anymore, it's time to replace them. The more reliable way is to look for the appearance of the wear bars between the treads. These are put there specifically to indicate that it's time for new tires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts