Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need 4 new tires for my 2016 Tucson limited AWD. I live in LA but do lots of ski trips to Mammoth. Anyone have recommendations on a good all around all season tire? I can get both the Hankook Kingergy GT or Kuhmo Crugen for $300 total for 4 tires. Any thoughts between the two? Any reason to look beyond these and spend more money?

·
Registered
186 Posts
These 'Kuhmo Crugen' were on my car originally and they were terrible in the snow, and when slightly worn they slipped on wet smooth roads.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Kumho Crugen's were also on my machine from the factory, they sucked in the snow brand new, and they were downright scary at 35k miles(5-6/32nd). They were also very loud past 30k miles, I didn't like them at all.

Right now, I'm trying the general tire Altimax RT43, we'll see how they do, but so far so good. Quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
$300 for 4 tires? I think I've decided to go with the Contential Extreme Contacts DWS on our when needed. Had them on my last car and loved them. I would run the Pure Contacts DWS like I just put on the Elantra, but they don't have them in a 245/45 19.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Neither. Generally, you get what you pay for. Go to TireRack.com and look at the reviews. You don't have to get the most expensive tire to get a good quality tire that will meet your needs, but those might not be the best tires. Daughter just bought 4 Pirelli Cinturato P7s for her Tucson, which cost $750 out the door, not including a $70 rebate she will get back. She also considered the Hankook Optimo H727 (NOT the H724). TireRack.com reviews for these are almost as good as the Pirellis. Our experience has been good with that brand and model, and they are probably at least $100 cheaper for 4 of them than the Pirellis, but she didn't want to wait for them to special order them.

Reactions: DKNY2LA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like I need to spend a bit more money to get a decent tire.

·
Registered
138 Posts
On one of my old cars (1994 Impala SS), I always had a set of Summer/All-Season wide on stock 17" alloy wheels and a set of Winter tires on thinner 15" rims. You can't beat true Winter tires.

That said, on my 1995 Nissan Maxima (I got tired of paying LOTS of money to daily drive the Impala...), I bought Michelin Defender Plus (now the T+H). They used to be rated for 90,000 miles (now 80,000) and even though they are about $180/each are the best tires I have owned for a daily driver. They are almost as good as true snow tires on snow too.

I haven't felt that the stock tires on my SE are bad in the snow, but I only drive about 10 miles a day now. Not the 140 I did when I got the Defenders. But when I have to replace the Tucson's tires, I'll be getting Defenders.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Kumho Crugen's were also on my machine from the factory, they sucked in the snow brand new, and they were downright scary at 35k miles(5-6/32nd). They were also very loud past 30k miles, I didn't like them at all.

Right now, I'm trying the general tire Altimax RT43, we'll see how they do, but so far so good. Quiet and smooth.
Those Generals are rated very well and ill be putting a new set on my Azera after winter as I run Blizzaks this time of year.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can go to a library and get a Consumer Reports tire review issue. They that has more objective reviews than some of the more subjective reviews from end users other places.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I wouldn't trust anything from consumer reports, been shown too many times their rating are paid for.

Reactions: joegr and DKNY2LA

·
Registered
845 Posts
You can go to a library and get a Consumer Reports tire review issue. They that has more objective reviews than some of the more subjective reviews from end users other places.
The problem with Consumer Reports (notwithstanding the assertions by some that they are not unbiased), is that their tire selection is usually dated and limited. If a manufacturer has 15 distinct lines of tires. Consumer Reports will have tested 3 of them. Some manufacturers will not even be represented. I usually look at CR to see what they say, and more often than not, I find that the tire for which I am seeking information is not included in their testing.
I find tirerack.com to be a reasonable source for tire ratings. Yes, the reviews are subjective, and are not based on scientific testing, as the CR reviews are. But if there are 2,000 owner reviews of Tire A, and 2,000 owner reviews of Tire B, I feel pretty comfortable that the aggregate will reflect the relative quality of the two tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had Michelin DEFENDER LTX M/S on my Jeep and they were great. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be made in the 245/45-19 size that My Tucson needs. Can I use 245/55-19 or will that screw things up?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had Michelin DEFENDER LTX M/S on my Jeep and they were great. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be made in the 245/45-19 size that My Tucson needs. Can I use 245/55-19 or will that screw things up?
No. You need to keep the correct ratio relative to the total circumference of your stock tires/wheels.

So, your stock size gives a total circumference of 86.9". You want to stay as close to that as possible or you will not only throw off your speedometer, but you'll also incur more/less mileage on the odometer and worse, you'll negatively affect ABS, Traction and Stability control. Using the size you mention would be a TC of 93".

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
245/45-19 4.3in 13.8in 27.7in 87.0in 729 0.0%
245/55-19 5.3in 14.8in 29.6in 93.0in 681 7.0%

I have used https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html for years, if I know the size I am wanting.

If you don't know that and want to see what is close, there are many "tire size calculator" results to search for.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts

I have Altimax RTs (No number) for my Accent and at $59 each, I got more than I paid for.

I've had Pirellis, Goodyears, Michelins, etc. I'd rate the Michelins (Michelin XZX, google THAT!) the best, followed by the Sumitomos currently on my Scion tC, followed by Hankook K106 (on my Supra) and then the Altimax. The hankooks were the most expensive, at $80 each.

Reactions: DKNY2LA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for all the responses! I guess I should specify, I'm looking for my stock tire size which is: 245/45-19. Looks like the Altimax RT43 and a lot of the others mentioned are not available in that size. :(

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Thanks again for all the responses! I guess I should specify, I'm looking for my stock tire size which is: 245/45-19. Looks like the Altimax RT43 and a lot of the others mentioned are not available in that size. :(
Oh, OK.

I have Sumitomos on my Scion, and I gave up a little handling over the Potenzas it came with, but I was able to get them for my car for a lot less.

For your size this is what is available:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?from=TD&width=245/&ratio=45&diameter=19

Nice quiet tires and handle as well in the wet as they do on dry pavement, and are wearing quite well. I can't answer for snow handling, the first flake and the car gets parked until spring...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would love some evidence to back up the claim that CAR reviews are paid for by companies they are reviewing.

It is true that there are so many tires that CAR can't review all of them but I'm fairly sure they do publish information about how they select the tires they do review.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I believe it was back in the early 2000's that CR was busted by the consumer protection agency for getting paid by automobile manufacturers and then all of a sudden their reviews got better.

Search for that. It was all over TV news, local and national.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts