Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, looking like I might need a new clutch in our 1.4 G4EE getz. May not have the time to do it myself, and it's our daily driver, so might get a shop to do it if needed. The engine has 246 000KMs on it, and I'm just wondering if it's worth it at this stage of the car's life.

I know it depends on alot of things (driving style, etc) in order to predict the amount of life left in a car. From 80k till now, it's mainly done highway driving, so I'm hoping there's alot of life left in the engine. I do most basic maintenance myself, and oil changes every 5000kms.

I don't know much about these cars. Are there other typical failures around the corner, such as the head gasket? Happy to hear some opinions from people who know these cars well. Cheers!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,973 Posts
It's impossible for us to judge when we don't know anything about your car. High mileage isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if the car is doing mainly motorway driving.

FWIW, here in the wet UK it's usually the body work rusting that kills Hyundai cars rather than any major mechanical issues. It would be a shame if a wear & tear item like a clutch killed the car.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,848 Posts
The cost of the repair if it extends the car's life for a year would be worth it. Even at $1000 what else can you get to use for a year for a car at that cost?

·
Registered
23 Posts
As previously written I also do not know the best advice for you.

We bought a new Getz 1,1 litre 2006. It have run very well. The camshaft sensor was exchanged at warranty. New brake shoes, braking pads and CV joint rubber are tear parts that have been changed during 12 years use and 165 000 km.

One brake tube from the ABS unit was leaking and I changed two brake tubes just in case. Today a little rust are to be seen at both back fenders.

My plan is to use teh Getz for another 8 more years, doing a 20 years use.

As for our second car I bougth three months ago a good looking Opel Astra for 700 euros. That was an mistake. Already spent 250 euro and lot of hours finding and fixing problems. It still need another 250 euro for an original EGR-valve.

So I would put 1000 euros into a clutch change for the Getz.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah good advice guys. I just needed the reassurance to push me over the edge haha.

It's been a great car otherwise, suspension is sound, no leaks, and really haven't had to put much into it otherwise. I think I'm just scared of a comment like 'the headgasket rarely makes it past 300k' or something to that extent.

Taking it to a shop this week, will see what's up with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.