Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my clutch and pressure plate and I have taken everything off the motor and transaxle and I have lowered it so the transaxle is accessible through the driver side fender. Then I took about 20 bolts out that are holding the trans to the bellhousing and it only comes off about 1/4 of an inch just enough to fit a wrench inside and won't come off any more . Any ideas?

Registered
Once all bolts have been removed the gearbox can require a good bit of jiggling before it slides off its spline. I would recommend a support beam to hang it from above and wriggling it from below. Just don't drop it on your face! 馃槈
I can only recommend persisting with it unfortunately.

Registered
Some cars have a pull type pressure plate and require special techniques to remove the gearbox. I'd check that out before forcing anything.
This may help explain. Some Hyundai's have this type.

Registered
Pull type clutch will lock the tranny to engine because of throw out bearing
Depending upon which type, it can either be released by screw driver between the throw out bearing and the lock ring on the clutch or on older models, it may require removing the release lever off the tranny. It allows the shaft of the fork to turn more and release the pull out bearing. Lever is keyed and will only go on in one position. Note: be careful about the procedure to re-install.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I got it removed by leaving the transaxle on and just unbolting the bellhousing so now all I have to do is get the right size torque to get the flywheel off then I'll be putting it together. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts