Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
* Mods, move this post if I have posted in the wrong area. Thank you *

Greetings all,

I’m having some issues that I can’t seem to resolve so I was hoping someone on here could help me out. First some info:

2004 Tiburon 2.7L, 6spd, 156252miles
MAF and TPS were changed out last year with OEM replacements
Timing belt has NOT been changed that we’re aware of and we have owned the vehicle since 2006.

Confirmed codes: P0302, P0304, P0306

I have checked the following sensors/parts with 2 multimeters and were within spec:
• MAF
• TPS
• Coil pack
• plug wires

I did replace the crankshaft position sensor with an OEM one as the wires almost fell apart in my hand.

Still, the codes persist and the Tibby sounds like it’s running on 5 cylinders. I checked the timing and I think it’s within specs but I have included a picture with red lines indicating where the timing mark appeared with the timing light as I've never checked timing before.

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what I should be checking or rechecking? Any help would be greatly appreciated as we’re down to one car and we’re definitely a 2 car family. Thank you for any and all help.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
You've replaced the coil pack and wires but you don't mention the spark plugs?

Your misfires are all on the front bank of cylinders. Have you checked for a vacuum leak on that bank?

Looking at the timing marks on the crank alone doesn't really tell you anything. But you should seriously consider having the belt replaced if you've never had it done in the 12 years you've owned the car. Belt replacement intervals are 6 years or 60,000miles, so that's just a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the crankshaft position sensor but I checked the coil packs. I did inspect the plugs and they looked good though I did replace them about 16K ago. I haven't inspected for a vacuum leak yet. Would that be where a smoke test comes into play or is there a better method?

The timing belt is on my list of things to do as I had read it was way past due.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
Would that be where a smoke test comes into play or is there a better method?
A smoke test is probably the best method....if you own a smoke machine.
If you don't own a smoke machine there are other methods that you could DIY. Using propane gas is probably the most popular method.
Search youtube and I'm sure you'll find a few videos demonstrating how it's done.

·
Registered
59 Posts
* Mods, move this post if I have posted in the wrong area. Thank you *

Timing belt has NOT been changed that we’re aware of and we have owned the vehicle since 2006.

Change the timing belt first. That's your biggest problem. It will break any day now, and may have stretched to the point where it is causing the codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hadn't thought about it stretching but that's a good point. I've parked it for now for fear of it jumping more teeth and doing some really bad damage to it. I was going to order the replacement part from Rockauto unless ya'll have better recommendations/suggestions.

Thank you again for all the help and comments with this. It's greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I hadn't thought about it stretching but that's a good point. I've parked it for now for fear of it jumping more teeth and doing some really bad damage to it. I was going to order the replacement part from Rockauto unless ya'll have better recommendations/suggestions.

Thank you again for all the help and comments with this. It's greatly appreciated.
Timing belts will hardly stretch. The problems with them are the rubber teeth get rounded more and tensioner will get weak. I do not care for smoke machines to try and find intake gasket leaks. They would have to be very bad to show up. The intake leaks are under a much greater difference in pressure and it's less rather than more. They suck in and not push out like a smoke machine. Best to use a propane torch and go around the intake to head mating area and see if the idle smooths out and misfires reduce. This will verify intake gasket is bad..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts