Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
06 Sonata GLS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first visit here. I am looking to buy my first Sonata and would appreciate any input you may wish to share. Looking at the 06 and up to about 2010 models. Since it will be my first and will be used as a work car I do not wish to spend to much if possible. Trying to keep it under $10,000, is that reasonable? I found an 06 that I think is the LX version but it may be a GLS with options. What is the best way to tell without seeing the registration?

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
My first visit here. I am looking to buy my first Sonata and would appreciate any input you may wish to share. Looking at the 06 and up to about 2010 models. Since it will be my first and will be used as a work car I do not wish to spend to much if possible. Trying to keep it under $10,000, is that reasonable? I found an 06 that I think is the LX version but it may be a GLS with options. What is the best way to tell without seeing the registration?

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You ought to be able to find a ton of these out there now. Let me suggest that you look for a 2009 or 2010 SE model. I'd check ebay and various dealers to see what is out there. You'll hate the plastic wheel covers of the GLS models so you might as well get something you won't need to spend a bunch of money on wheels.

I would think you would be able to find several at your price point. Try to get one that has relatively low miles and has been cared for. If it hasn't been taken care of you will spend a bunch of money to fix it up. Is there a reason you don't consider a new one? There are good incentives available with low interest rates. You'll spend more but you won't have any upkeep costs.

Check out ebay for an idea of what they are going for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
make sure to look at the Elantra's too.

I recently sold my 2008 Elantra and purchased my father in laws 2009 Sonata GLS.

I may be flamed for this, but personally, I liked the standard features of the Elantra much better.

I bought the 2009 because I was given a deal I couldn't refuse and it had 110,000 miles less than my 2008.

The Sonata I have seems to be a stripped down model and doesn't have all the standard creature comforts the Elantra did.

Yes, the Sonata rides and handles a little better being a heavier car, but I miss all the storage area, the bottle handles in the doors, the angled controls on the door, the better foot rest and better sun visors the Elantra had.

The door handles never broke on my Elantra :)

I sold my Elantra for $4500 and it was in flawless condition, but it did have 160,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's hard to find a late model used car with low miles and like-new condition under $10K in my market. Your mileage may vary. The Sonata does offer exceptional value in the mid-size segment. I bought my '07 new & have been shocked at what a good little car it turned out to be. I have the 2.4l which is more than enough engine for this car. I think it's quicker than the V6 at legal speed limits. It's also cheap to operate & very reliable. I have been very hard on it & it never complains. I do maintain it regularly but I don't think that is significant.

I think you'll find the 06 - 08 models priced a little better than the 09 & up models. The earlier models have an ugly dash design which puts off a lot of buyers. The exteriors look good but the dash is goofy. That's the main complaint I have with my car. I wish the dash was more appealing. The newer cars have a very stylish dash to go with the stylish exterior. It's a much more appealing car overall.

I also liked the Elantra better than the Sonata when I bought. But the incentives on the Sonata priced the car lower than a comparable Elantra. So I went with the Sonata. Larger car, lower price. It worked for me. The Elantra does get better mileage so the cost to own for the Sonata is probably higher but I still think the larger car was worth it.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts