Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a 2007 Elantra. A mechanic thought I had 1 problem and I paid for this replacement part just to learn it was something else. He let me keep the part and now that I've gotten around to doing something with it, I've forgotten what it was for. Can anyone tell me please? Also if so can you give me an idea of the value or where I could find that & where I might find someone interested in something like this? I would really appreciate your help! Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Column lock assembly with IGN switch at tail end,, and missing the IGN key cylinder

Reactions: avisitor

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I used to have a 2007 Elantra. A mechanic thought I had 1 problem and I paid for this replacement part just to learn it was something else. He let me keep the part and now that I've gotten around to doing something with it, I've forgotten what it was for. Can anyone tell me please? Also if so can you give me an idea of the value or where I could find that & where I might find someone interested in something like this? I would really appreciate your help! Thanks.
Were you having a problem with your key?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thank you SO much for the help! Now I remember what happened. Oddly enough it's one of the reasons I love Hyundai. I was getting my car detailed at a nice station that also did oil changes, etc. I looked out over by where they were shampooing it and see a good 6 men looking under my hood. Long story short my car wouldn't turn off even if the key was out. The only way it would turn off is if you disconnected the battery. I took it to this local guy who tried to figure it out and I guess I ended up with this part but nothing fixed. I had to take it to the dealership where it ended up taking 2 weeks for them to get it figured out and fixed. I had just gone over 100k mile warranty and it wasn't anything that was part of a recall, but turns out it had something to do with the drivers side airbag and the cost wasn't much less than the value of the car but Hyundai took care of everything. I now own a 2015 and added some upgrades and love it just as much. Thanks again for all your help!!

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Great, thank you SO much for the help! Now I remember what happened. Oddly enough it's one of the reasons I love Hyundai. I was getting my car detailed at a nice station that also did oil changes, etc. I looked out over by where they were shampooing it and see a good 6 men looking under my hood. Long story short my car wouldn't turn off even if the key was out. The only way it would turn off is if you disconnected the battery. I took it to this local guy who tried to figure it out and I guess I ended up with this part but nothing fixed. I had to take it to the dealership where it ended up taking 2 weeks for them to get it figured out and fixed. I had just gone over 100k mile warranty and it wasn't anything that was part of a recall, but turns out it had something to do with the drivers side airbag and the cost wasn't much less than the value of the car but Hyundai took care of everything. I now own a 2015 and added some upgrades and love it just as much. Thanks again for all your help!!
Wow....may have had something to do with the clockspring but I'm not sure what it would have been that would have caused the system to stay alive. Many strange things can happen and after 45 years in the business I still find myself amazed at things that can happen.
On the bright side they didn't charge you for it. Would have been better if they gave you a loaner and sold you the 2015 at half price.....Now that's dreaming. LOL
BTW...the mechanic that changed the switch didn't rip you off. That would be a good place to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts