Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble identifying a small oil leak on my 2010 Santa Fe 3.5 L with 104k miles. I'm thinking it could be an oil pan gasket leak but I'm getting the majority of the oil on the driver side. There is no noticeable oil level change but I want to get this taken care of. Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated. I made a video on YouTube titled "2010 Hyundai Santa Fe oil leak - v6 3.5L" but I'm not able to post it here since I'm a new member.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Oil pressure switch if it drip of trans and engine seam..

Do search, been covered a few time in here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for pointing out the oil pressure switch. I did not know about that.I don't think it is that because I don't really see oil coming from that area, and most of the posts mentioned an oil pressure light coming on. Does this oil pan look like it needs a new gasket or screws?

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Oil pan leak, look like rusted mess.. not uncommon to see one once in great while

You "could" add trace dye and use a UV light on it and watch for color to come out (most is lime neon green)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ncray:
Make sure they replaced the aluminum washer under your oil pan plug, and tightened it properly. Looks to me like there is some leaking going on from around that plug.

Don

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I use Wix Oil filter which come with the O-rings and a copper crush washer. No leaks and an easy swap when doing it. Your filter is different for that engine but should be the same contents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay so I'm finally getting around to taking the oil pan off but the bolts on the passenger side are extremely difficult to get to. What's the secret to getting to those bolts? My flexible ratchet attachment doesn't fit in there. Do you have to raise the engine to get in there?

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Okay so I'm finally getting around to taking the oil pan off but the bolts on the passenger side are extremely difficult to get to. What's the secret to getting to those bolts? My flexible ratchet attachment doesn't fit in there. Do you have to raise the engine to get in there?
Either raise engine up away from frame some (1/4 stuff works great to sneak in). or if you on a rack,, drop front of subframe loose

·
Registered
882 Posts
remove the passenger side motor mount bolts, and carefully jack up the oil pan with a piece of wood, and you will have enough room to remove the pan. Use thin steel putty knife to separate the pan. It's a good thing to remove and clean the sludge in the pan, you will happy to see the engine oil is super clean for many months

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If it's only a very small leak that isn't burning on a hot exhaust pipe or leaving a big stain under the car, it may be more prudent to simply leave it alone. Better that than multiplying your problems by breaking the head off a rusted fastener.

This might be a good time to try a leak treating oil, such as Valvoline Max Life, which I've had good luck with in the past.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts