Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 Elantra under 60,000 miles. After a couple days of frozen temperatures, I started to hear the engine knocking. Took the car over to the dealer, and they determined it needed an engine block replacement, which Hyundai approved.

They told me it would take 3 weeks max to get the car back. It's now late June, and they basically been telling me that the engine block is still in backorder, currently we are looking at late July for the part (they said mid-June the first time around).

At this point am pretty stressed out!!

Hyundai corporate office aren't helping out (only offered payment compensation, but car is payed off), I had to cancel all my summer trips (lost over $800 from cancellation fees). I can't drive the loner car out of state, or exceeded certain miles. I been taking uber at least 3 times a week, especially when going to NYC for work (I live in North Jersey), or getting closer to the loaner mileage limit. I honestly can't sustained this anymore, and I can't afford a rental because you have to pay upfront.

Am hoping someone has been through this and can give me some advice. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did they determine this without trying any repairs?
It took them about two days to diagnose it. I think they knew what it was and what to look for and they took out the engine and found metal shavings, took pictures of it sent it to Hyundai for approval and we got it approved in less than a week

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Unfortunately the Lemon Law here in Jersey is only for 3 year old car with under 24,000 miles.
then lawyer up. dunno about there, but here in texas an attorney referral service will get you 30 min with an attorney specializing in that field for 20 bucks

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You should be able to use the loaner without restrictions, like your own car. I'd fight that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You have no recourse at all. Been there , done that. I have contacted lawyers. They say since Hyundai has the engine ordered and cannot make them fast enough is not a legal thing since they are providing you with a loaner. It took me 4 months to get my engine and now the car isn’t starting /running right. Hyundai makes junk these days. I owe almost three yrs on my car loan and am upside down on a trade by about 2500.00 or I would get rid of the pos.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unfortunately nothing to do legally as long as Hyundai accepted to replace it... we are a couple of owners in Canada who tried all kinds of avenues for a lawsuit, NOTHING TO DO but wait until replaced.

Took me 5 months waiting, car ok so far, but consumption in town still up to the sky. In my case I do not care anymore, am waiting for my new Subaru...

You should not have any restrictions on mileage on the loaner... and your insurance normally will cover for loaner too. Go back to dealer and fight for this.. as long your car is not repaired, the mileage on loaner no limit!!! It is part of their cost for the recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently am waiting for a replacement engine for my 2015 Sonata 2.0T , since 4/12/18. I do have a loaner now (not for 1st few months !!!) Legal action has been taken, sadly Hyundai will not settle for the what is fair after everything this grueling situation has caused my family of four. To be honest I don't know how to go forward with this, they have me by the balls, or at least they are trying. Tampa, FL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about how long Hyundai is taking to get your cars back to you on the block replacement.

My daughter took our '15 Elantra sport in 3+ weeks ago where she is off at college , due to the clatter at start up. They called me, said they wanted to keep it one more night to disassemble engine and take pics to send to Hyundai. Next day, they called me again to say Hyundai would replace engine (41k miles) due to shavings in oil pan. Got the car back in 2 weeks, and they gave her a '18 Tucson and told her she had no restrictions on driving it wherever she needed.

Her mothers '13 Santa Fe Sport (88k miles) with the 2.4 is at another closer dealer awaiting a replacement block as well now for just over 4 weeks. Hopefully that doesn't end up being multiple months, as the loaner for this one is a base Corolla . I guess at this dealer, 3 of their 6 loaner vehicles are out due to people waiting on engines for Hyundai's! The dealer also sells new Toyotas, Chevy/Cadillac/Buick/GMC as well, hence the Corolla as a loaner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts