Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm trying to help my dad purchase a new elantra value package. I'm in Northern VA and one of the dealers here have one advertised as "internet price" of 16905. Looks like the dealer charges 699 for processing fee. I wanted to get some opinion on how much I should make an offer for the car OTD. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Don't pay the $699 doc fee.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Car pricing is variable, and it's 100% dependent on supply vs demand. Start low, play their games on them, and spend a few hours wearing them out. If you haven't threaten to walk out to slash another 500-1000 off the price, then you haven't reached their lowest price threshold ;-) good luck!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Start with the MSRP, skip all dealer bloated add-ons, and search here for the thread on what many paid for, and what too many overpaid for their Elantra. $5k off MSRP is a start!

You might not get the military/college discount, but its easy to sign up for uber, and get normal dealer and manufacturer discounts....
New Hyundai Lease/Buy Rte 44 Hyundai in Raynham, MA on Boston.com

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm trying to help my dad purchase a new elantra value package. I'm in Northern VA and one of the dealers here have one advertised as "internet price" of 16905. Looks like the dealer charges 699 for processing fee. I wanted to get some opinion on how much I should make an offer for the car OTD. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
What dealer did you visit? (I personally would recommend Brown's Leesburg Hyundai.)

Most dealers charge a processing fee, and $699 sounds about average. I have found it's really hard to move them from that, but there is a lot of competition in this area, so it might be possible.
Make sure you're educated about the invoice price and any incentives and discounts that are available, before you show up. You can get a lot of that information on good reputable sites like Edmunds, KBB, and NADA. Then when they make their offer, make sure you understand which incentives and discounts are included, and ask about any that you think are not included.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What dealer did you visit? (I personally would recommend Brown's Leesburg Hyundai.)

Most dealers charge a processing fee, and $699 sounds about average. I have found it's really hard to move them from that, but there is a lot of competition in this area, so it might be possible.
Make sure you're educated about the invoice price and any incentives and discounts that are available, before you show up. You can get a lot of that information on good reputable sites like Edmunds, KBB, and NADA. Then when they make their offer, make sure you understand which incentives and discounts are included, and ask about any that you think are not included.
I haven't personally had good luck at any Brown dealership. My dad wanted to go with hyundai of chantily because of free oil change for life. Yes I did research all that...

MSRP 19850
Invoice 19172
Destination Fee 885
Hold back 596
Dealer Cost 19461

So I figure...
Total MSRP 20735
Target Discount -5000
Tax(4.15%) +860
Doc Fee +700
Title Transfer +20

OTD price 17,300. Would that be a good price or can I do better like 16500 or 16000 OTD?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Don't pay a doc fee. Dealers around her even advertise they won't charge you one. Doc fee is pure profit for the salesman, on top of his commission. I've never paid one and never will.

Unless you want to give him a $700 tip.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't pay a doc fee. Dealers around her even advertise they won't charge you one. Doc fee is pure profit for the salesman, on top of his commission. I've never paid one and never will.

Unless you want to give him a $700 tip.
I've been researching and reading about the doc fees, it seems they are unavoidable, and not regulated across the board so dealers can impose as much as they want on dealer fees. Kind of ridiculous if I may say so myself. Perhaps its only in GA?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've been researching and reading about the doc fees, it seems they are unavoidable, and not regulated across the board so dealers can impose as much as they want on dealer fees. Kind of ridiculous if I may say so myself. Perhaps its only in GA?

They are indeed avoidable. I see doc fee on the paperwork, they either remove or I walk. I've bought cars in GA, SC and WA (WA was a piece of cake for military).

Dealers are paid by the manufacture to sell a car. Doc fee is a bonus for them.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
That seems absurd. I would shop other dealers. You can service it at any Hyundai dealer in the United States.

The dealer ought to be ashamed of himself. This amounts to highway robbery.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think you should start at 15k, and be happy if the dealer lets you get away with 16k. If you want a low price on your car, you just need to be willing to walk out if you don't get what you want.

My coworkers wife bought a hybrid sonata that was priced around 30K for 22k OTD. I bought a fully loaded EGT that was 26K MSRP for only 22K when only 1500-2000 was from discounts. Don't let a dealer tell you what deals they can or can't offer you. Use the deals as a starting point, then just put additional pressure on them to lower the price even more. start to walk out the door if you can't get a lower price you want. Worst case, they let you walk, and you can always come back tomorrow if you're willing to settle on their price. Best case, they lower the price for you! It's all a game.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Or go online with a service. Give them the specs you want, and the local dealers email you their best price. A great way to get a great price without all the haggling crap. Then you just go in to the dealer, sign the paperwork, and leave with the car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
you should be able to walk out the door for around 16.5-17 vor the value. Always remember that any rebate programs come from the manufacturer, not the dealer so don't let them use those as if they are negotiating down with them. they could take $10k off the MSRP in rebates and they haven't negotiated a single dollar of their own money.

good luck! And read out stereo upgrade thread! you can spend just $100 and get a much better stereo system! super easy to install for really anyone with a phillips screw driver.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.