Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing crankshaft position sensor 2003 6 cyl with 200K miles on it. **** thing shattered and is sheared off level with engine. How the **** do I get the rest out without dropping parts into engine?? Need to get this resolved ASAP
Please help!!!!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Take starter out, and likely break it apart and let the chunks fall in.. I think fella across aisle has done that.. be carefull not to damage tone ring on crank, or scrape the hole that sensor sits into.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took starter off to get to it. It's pretty cracked now. I can't get to the main part that's in the hole. How do I get the pieces out?

·
Registered
548 Posts
try draining the oil in an open drain pan.... worse case scenario, drop the oil pan from engine but if you feel that most of the pieces have come out in the drain pan upon review of the pieces...a few small pieces won't hurt as the oil pick up on the oil pump has a screen that will protect the particles from entering the top end.... but too many will clog up the screen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No dice. I can't get an angle to either put a self tapping screw through or break the main sensor body up and push it through. Looks like my mechanic is getting an early Christmas present

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
No dice. I can't get an angle to either put a self tapping screw through or break the main sensor body up and push it through. Looks like my mechanic is getting an early Christmas present
You should have enough room to find a small dowel slightly smaller than the sensor and hammer the leftover sensor in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, it's the main body of the sensor, and its still snug in the aperture into the engine block. Next question is: if I do knock it in, will I be able to reach that spot when I drop the lower oil pan? the pan looks to be 8-10" away from the sensor location. I don't know much about cars, but can do the basic/ intermediate stuff, so I don't have any qualms about dropping the oil pan, I just don't want to get to that step and go "oh, crud! I cant reach that spot!
And again, thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
well, it's the main body of the sensor, and its still snug in the aperture into the engine block. Next question is: if I do knock it in, will I be able to reach that spot when I drop the lower oil pan? the pan looks to be 8-10" away from the sensor location. I don't know much about cars, but can do the basic/ intermediate stuff, so I don't have any qualms about dropping the oil pan, I just don't want to get to that step and go "oh, crud! I cant reach that spot!
And again, thanks for all the help!
I know of at least two on this forum who have retrieved their sensor via the oil pan. Another member just left it in there with no ill effects. The screen should stop it from being sucked up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
one last question... Once I knock it through, do I crank the engine to get the parts to circulate towards the bottom pan?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
no....it's a clear shot down... no circulating needed...lol
Crank position is above the flat portion of upper pan adjacent to bellhousing,, it has to move maybe 6 inches toward passenger side before it fall over edge into lower pan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got new sensor in. Reconnected starter tried to crank. Nothing. Not even turning over. No clicking (as in low battery level), just nothing. Bad starter?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was bad starter. Replaced THAT, now it won't crank. Turns over, but no ignition. What to check now? The sensor is snug, connection seems snug and tight to the pigtail plug. I'm stumped

·
Registered
209 Posts
Got new sensor in. Reconnected starter tried to crank. Nothing. Not even turning over. No clicking (as in low battery level), just nothing. Bad starter?
Start with the basics. Voltage check the battery, check all connections from the battery to the starter.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It was bad starter. Replaced THAT, now it won't crank. Turns over, but no ignition. What to check now? The sensor is snug, connection seems snug and tight to the pigtail plug. I'm stumped
Did you disconnect the battery before pulling the starter? If not, you may have blown a fuse. If the fuses are good, your next step is to check for spark and fuel.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Key on with 3 naked copper wire for crank position sensor will pop (open circuit) one of the couple PCM fuses..

DVOM probe the fuse legs for source voltage at each leg with key on,, voltage at 1 side and "0" at other leg be good indication fuse is open circuit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts