Hyundai Forums banner

Need HELP 2nd problem...1st issue SOLVED.....Veracruz 2012 with 130k - No heat - Overheats

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  273HYPO 
#1 ·
Went to the store came out an 90 min later and notice my engine temp was normal but no heat (outside temp 30 and snowing)
Turned heat off / on then drove a mile and notice engine temp climbed over 1/2 on temp gauge. First time ever it went above 1/2.
Turned heat off and kept driving and temp climbed to hot area. Pulled over for a few minutes and drove another 1 or 2 miles before getting hot.
I limped it to the shop this way, shutting her off then waiting a few and restarting, then driving, Going up grades/hills would increased engine temp. A couple times the engine temp would climb then comeback down to normal. Original engine coolant and cooling components. Did not notice any leaks on the engine nor underneath, Overflow tank appeared full.
Any thoughts fellas??....t-stat, water pump, clog in heater core, head gasket. I'm leaning towards weakened coolant causing stuck t-stat.

#4 ·
You dont mention any history on the coolilng system mantainance your trouble almost sounds like a simple Thermostat needing replacement if i had to guess it would be it. but since you mention running it up too the hot mark im not there to see your vehicle it could be a cooling fan that stoped running or a pluged radiater or worse blown head gasket at this point.

#5 ·
You dont mention any history on the coolilng system mantainance your trouble almost sounds like a simple Thermostat needing replacement if i had to guess it would be it. but since you mention running it up too the hot mark im not there to see your vehicle it could be fan not running or radiater pluged or worse blown head gasket at this point.
Thanks...Coooling systemand components for it are original....I ran it it he last white mark before the 1st red mark in the Hot zone of the temp gauge.

#8 ·
UPDATE!!!!!....here a new one for ya!.....Ever hear of the coolant pipe that runs for the dash to the rear heater core rusting out??!!! Near the dash connection it rusted thru in two spots! Well thats what happen to my Vera! Leaked out most of the coolant causing the overheating,

#9 · (Edited)
wow that's not the common area they rot out...

just went through this replacement myself recently.
two options, bypass or replace the pipe.
the pipe run is under the passenger door then up inside the cabin to the rear heater core
The rest is heater hoses and other sections of pipe up to the front.

Since we live in the rust belt, and the previous owner did not undercoat / oil spray the vehicle, so the pipe rotted.
a replacement part was 300CAD from the dealer, and I sprayed black rustoleum on the exposed pipe area since its basically primered from the dealer and will rust again quickly.
Once installed, then sprayed krown rust protection over the pipe.

here are some related posts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.