Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Hyundai Sonata (2011 sonata 2.4l limited) I believe has a major electrical issue. The basic malfunctions without going into too much detail is voice for phone interface in Spanish only. Button no longer operates as it is supposed to for language changing. Brake light on driver side no longer functions. New bulb replaces 4-5 times. Verified functioning bulb. Last one removed blackened and burnt looking, 4 times in last 6 months when starting vehicle the radio display etc. not functioning at all. No lights. Nothing. Friday began to smell a melting rubber smell emitting thought it was car in front of me until I saw a lot of smoke coming from area just adjacent to glove box. Just behind the center console on passenger side. Blower motor? There has been a loud rattle that the fan makes for about 20 seconds then stops when turning a/c on and putting it on the recirculate setting.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
My Hyundai Sonata (2011 sonata 2.4l limited) I believe has a major electrical issue. The basic malfunctions without going into too much detail is voice for phone interface in Spanish only. Button no longer operates as it is supposed to for language changing. Brake light on driver side no longer functions. New bulb replaces 4-5 times. Verified functioning bulb. Last one removed blackened and burnt looking, 4 times in last 6 months when starting vehicle the radio display etc. not functioning at all. No lights. Nothing. Friday began to smell a melting rubber smell emitting thought it was car in front of me until I saw a lot of smoke coming from area just adjacent to glove box. Just behind the center console on passenger side. Blower motor? There has been a loud rattle that the fan makes for about 20 seconds then stops when turning a/c on and putting it on the recirculate setting.
This could quickly get expensive. Suggest you Google the problem as it is entirely possible someone else experienced the same problem. Could be simple (although seems unlikely).

Not a situation for a shade tree mechanic.

The dealer may be able to get a code that will identify the problem. But as I say this sounds serious. And you don’t want to be in the car if it catches on fire.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Need to have the voltage coming from the alternator checked and soon. The regulator may have failed an gone to higher voltage. When ever you see multiple electrical issues on unrelated systems, look for a common cause. In this case, power.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Take a look at your grounds as well. You could have some corrosion between the chassis and the ground cables and that would definitely create some random electrical issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last night the car now starts without the brake pedal being depressed, I have had the stop switch, recall done and redone and redone. It has never done this before last night. I think this has something to do with the fact that my brake lights don't work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts