Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hence the username.

I'll take and post images here shortly, just wanted to get this up to get people's attention.

So I hit a black bear which was (thankfully) prone on the Highway 101 while going ~70 mph.

I was shot ~2 feet up in the air (landed it!) and managed to avoid further damage. Seems the suspension, wheels, etc. are okay, no major damage to axles I can tell (no clicking/weird grinding), and the motor still fires right up and shifts well (just as good as ever!).

However, the front is SMASHED up. Not the hood, just the front frame bar, some of the skirting, and the radiator is REKT SON.

The hood is also stuck latched, though it doesn't set into the correct place (some minor tweaking on the front grill area.

I was just wondering if it's worth it to order parts special and patch her up? I don't have access to a lift. I'll be doing all the work on the side of the street, and I have little help (nobody with more knowledge about cars than myself).

Thanks for reading, and I'll post those images soon!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have comprehension on this?
Unfortunately, we just had basic liability insurance, so nothing, not even the tow, was covered. Apparently GEICO doesn't care if it's something that's entirely out of your control, and you've been paying them for years.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Unfortunately, we just had basic liability insurance, so nothing, not even the tow, was covered. Apparently GEICO doesn't care if it's something that's entirely out of your control, and you've been paying them for years.
Out here I have comp because of deer.....GEICO...they are the most expensive but they are so well know, yes advertising works, people don't shop around. 15 minutes could save you hundreds....they are also good at sales. To bad. There's a bit more damage there than you think. Take it to a body shop and they will give you an estimate, usually free. You may be able to get around some if it.
We'll see. Take a picture of the estimate and post it. I did body work for 15 years as well. The estimate will be more than one page.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out here I have comp because of deer.....GEICO...they are the most expensive but they are so well know, yes advertising works, people don't shop around. 15 minutes could save you hundreds....they are also good at sales. To bad. There's a bit more damage there than you think. Take it to a body shop and they will give you an estimate, usually free. You may be able to get around some if it.
We'll see. Take a picture of the estimate and post it. I did body work for 15 years as well. The estimate will be more than one page.
You're absolutely right... it's a learning lesson in a number of ways. After consulting a mechanic neighbor, he informed me that the sub-frame, which is all one piece and must be replaced as such, needs to be replaced, the radiator as well, and that body work would need to be done to be able to install the next radiator, so... too much overall. He said somewhere in the ballpark of $1800-3000 depending on what we wanted done and shop rates.

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate it. Looks like I'm car shopping!

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
You're absolutely right... it's a learning lesson in a number of ways. After consulting a mechanic neighbor, he informed me that the sub-frame, which is all one piece and must be replaced as such, needs to be replaced, the radiator as well, and that body work would need to be done to be able to install the next radiator, so... too much overall. He said somewhere in the ballpark of $1800-3000 depending on what we wanted done and shop rates.

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate it. Looks like I'm car shopping!
I would put the estimate at near the 3K to be done correctly. Glad to help. Are you going to consider comp? Shop around and you'll probably find MOST other insurers are at least 15% LESS than GEICO. Some a lot less. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Glad you survived!

Now. . . You hit a BEAR at 70 mph and that's all the damage that was done???? Was it a big teddy bear? I've seen deer fold up pick-up trucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts