Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am pretty confused with the tire market at the moment, so I am looking for options for winter tires.

I own a 2008 GL 3.3L (Canadian) which equals GLS or SE in american market?

The original tire size is 235/70 R16, but I am looking at other size options for tires and rims.

What sizes can I make fit and how are those changes affecting the life on my car?

Thanks ahead.

·
22,793 Posts

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
You can fit anything that will, literally, fit. However, not everything would clear all of the bits underneath, and there's no telling what your speedo would be telling you vs. reality.

Are you looking at options so as to open up more possible brands and types? Are you considering changing rims as well (no point in mentioning an 18" tire if you're sticking with your 16" rims)?

Help us to understand your objectives other than to change tire sizes so we can head in the right direction.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
For winter tires I'd stay with the stock 16" wheel size, optionally going to a slightly narrower tread (<235mm) with taller profile (>70). You want skinny tires with a tall profile for cutting through snow and dealing with frost-heaved roads.... the opposite of the low-profile look which people normally seek.

Google "tire size converter" to find a popular size that preserves the outer circumference within 3-5%, for odometer accuracy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For winter tires I'd stay with the stock 16" wheel size, optionally going to a slightly narrower tread (<235mm) with taller profile (>70). You want skinny tires with a tall profile for cutting through snow and dealing with frost-heaved roads.... the opposite of the low-profile look which people normally seek.

Google "tire size converter" to find a popular size that preserves the outer circumference within 3-5%, for odometer accuracy.
so the only issue i would have with installing a different size is the odometer readings?

for example if i get a 225/70/16 instead of 235/70/16?

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
My experience is you want more height for greater clearance. It's always been snow packed under the car that has got me stuck. What you want will make them shorter. And do you know how accurate your speedo is now? Comparing the odometer reading to a gps is a good way as the gps is usually dead on.

Here's a good site for comparing tires sizes side by side.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

·
22,793 Posts
This may help you with your tire size variable versus your odometer: Performance Probe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts