Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my wife is going to purchase a Tucson Limited with Ultimate. My question is how much of a problem is the DCT transmission. I read there are issues. I noticed test driving it that is acts kind of weird starting out in 1st gear. There is a refreshed version already on Hyundai's website where they are going to a regular auto. Would you wait until fall or buy the current one?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Well, if you think it acts weird now, I'd wait.

Personally, we love ours. The 1.6T/DCT combo works well and gets great mileage.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess it doesn't act that weird, it just doesn't stay in first very long and shift immediately in to second which is different. I am just most concerned about a failure.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I owned one for a year and 10,600 miles. I had no issues with it. You really don't have any choice with the 2018 model. With the 2019 it won't be available. Just remember you can't drive it like a conventional automatic and use the transmission to hill hold on inclines. This is an automated manual transmission but otherwise drives like an automatic. If you are concerned probably better to wait for a 2019 model. That's not far away. The lower level models have the 2.0 conventional engine and transmission but they are under powered.

There are some other enhancements coming in 2019 that you might want to wait for such as electronic brake which is nice. I'll be interested to see the new "improved" model.

I'd probably just wait and then you won't be worried.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have a 2017 Limited Ultimate with DCT. No problems with transmission. I would not wait, especially considering that the 2019 likely will not be released until December, that's 8 months away! We purchased a 2017 in October, the 2018's were not released until December. Love the car!

·
Registered
181 Posts
How can you use the DCT in a wrong way?
I dont understand how it is possible to use wrong either, but there is a thread here in forum regarding this. There are even a "how to" regarding use of the Tucson DCT, because some have great issues with the gearbox - caused by wrong usage...

Keep truckin'

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi, my wife is going to purchase a Tucson Limited with Ultimate. My question is how much of a problem is the DCT transmission. I read there are issues. I noticed test driving it that is acts kind of weird starting out in 1st gear. There is a refreshed version already on Hyundai's website where they are going to a regular auto. Would you wait until fall or buy the current one?
Since you live in the San Francisco bay area, i'd hard pass on the DCT. I personally would only own the DCT in areas where I would own a manual transmission car, because the DCT is essentially an automated manual transmission with 2 gear sets and a dual clutch. I remember driving in San Francisco, it sucked in my aunt's minivan, I can only imagine it with the DCT.

If you live in the country and drive mostly backroads and highway, the DCT is awesome, the same as a manual would be in this area.

·
Registered
200 Posts
We've had our DCT for over 2 years and 35K miles. No issues, takes a little getting used to, but my wife wouldn't even think of trading in her Tuscon. If she likes the vehicle, I don't think you would regret your purchase.

·
Registered
936 Posts
No issues with my 2016 Limited with 44,000 miles. Like anything else, you’ll grow accustomed to it. Just remember to avoid constantly creeping forward while waiting for the light and come to a complete 1 second stop on hills, (it allows the “hill holder” feature to kick in).

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think the issue is that creep mode when stuck in traffic skids the clutch (I don't know the proper term for it, but the clutch is not fully engaged) and thus causes increased wear than just getting the car rolling from a standstill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dont understand how it is possible to use wrong either, but there is a thread here in forum regarding this. There are even a "how to" regarding use of the Tucson DCT, because some have great issues with the gearbox - caused by wrong usage...

Keep truckin'
The problem is more with the 2016 tucson than the 2017... The DCT cant handle the weight of a full car I can tell you that... Thats part of the reason they removed it from the 2019 and put it in the kona which weighs less... They also have a nice warning label in the kona about the DCT... If the 2016 tucson we own had that we would have never bought it... I have been talking with Hyundai for months about this problem with ours... Wife is scared to get into traffic because it might stall...

·
Registered
670 Posts
"it just doesn't stay in first very long and shift immediately in to second which is different. I am just most concerned about a failure."
I felt the same way when I first drove the car. I went from a '13 Sonata 2.0T into this.
I noticed the quick shift points during the test drive and found it a little weird at first but you will adjust once you get used to it. I am loving the DCT. No problems here.
I do notice in heavy traffic the transmission feels a little clumsy shifting between 1st. and 2nd. If you feather the gas pedal just right in traffic you can minimize this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had my 2017 Tuscon Limited Ultimate package for almost a year and around 13K miles on it. The transmission works great for the most part. Once in a while it gets a little "stupid" and doesn't engage gears right away. Your first impulse is to give it more gas and when it finally decides to engage it revs high and feels like you "popped the clutch". This happens in a matter of less than 2 seconds but that can be a lifetime when merging into traffic. I've noticed it seems to happen if the car is on an uphill incline. I think the computer is trying to determine the right gear to choose based on speed, incline, amount the gas pedal is depressed, and who knows what else and it sometimes lags before engaging. Like I said it doesn't happen often but when it does it can feel a little scary depending in the situation. I have yet to notice it in sport mode or when manually shifting but I do most of my driving in normal and only change it when I'm in heavy traffic and want the RPMs to remain high so the engine can do a little of the breaking so I'm not going back and forth between the brake and gas in traffic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you live in city area where you will need to slow down or stop and go a lot. Pass the DCT.
Because this DCT isn't that smart on low speed and 1st gear. Plus, it kills the DCT in those conditions.

Regular Auto or CVT will be the best bet in those area.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The problem is more with the 2016 tucson than the 2017... The DCT cant handle the weight of a full car I can tell you that... Thats part of the reason they removed it from the 2019 and put it in the kona which weighs less... They also have a nice warning label in the kona about the DCT... If the 2016 tucson we own had that we would have never bought it... I have been talking with Hyundai for months about this problem with ours... Wife is scared to get into traffic because it might stall...
I had same thing when I bought and first thing when I test drive I noticed hanger on my shift.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you live in city area where you will need to slow down or stop and go a lot. Pass the DCT.
Because this DCT isn't that smart on low speed and 1st gear. Plus, it kills the DCT in those conditions.

Regular Auto or CVT will be the best bet in those area.
Yeah, I live near NYC and drive to one of the 5 boros Mon-Fri. The DCT can suck sometimes but depending on whos driving in front if me I can usually not come to complete stops and kinda ride 2nd gear. I usually leave it normal drive but if I'm feeling frisky I pop it in Sport which is a better feel but not so great on the gas. If my wife drives it one day I have to "relearn" the computer to my style of driving. I've gotten used to it and enjoy driving it on open roads. As long as Hyundai warranties the DCT for 100k I'm good I think. Probably sell or trade it in before it gets to that but who knows.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts