Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Look for a good used Toyota Camry or Corolla. After my lease is up in 24 months I am finished with Hyundai, the quality is poor and the dealership treatment SUCKS!!!!!
I agree 100%. Every Hyundai dealership I’ve gone too all have a rip off snake oil salesman vibe. And the vehicle quality is lacking behind the segment leaders. The LF sonata truly feels at least 10 years behind the times in terms of driving dynamics and fit and finish. I truly think Hyundai lacks the engineering expertise to build a truly great car. They seem to just slap on parts without really engineering the car as a whole. At least that’s my impression I get after driving Hyundai’s.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Ive been very happy with my 2017 Sport 2.0. It has been trouble free and has 97,000 miles driven hard in 3 years. Doesnt use a drop of oil and is reasonably fun to drive. For the $21,700 I paid new OTD it cant be beat. I had been previously driving sedans that cost $40,000 + (MBZ C250, Infiniti G37, M45, SHO) and for the money difference Im happy with my Sonata.

But that being said there are problem Sonatas so the only way Id recommend buying one used would be a CPO and extended warranty. Dollar for dollar you will get a lot more features than going Honda or Toyota. In general though you cant go wrong with a Camry or Accord but for the same $ you will be getting a little older and higher mileage one than a used Sonata.

·
Registered
2019 Sonata Sport 2.4L GDI
101 Posts
I agree 100%. Every Hyundai dealership I’ve gone too all have a rip off snake oil salesman vibe. And the vehicle quality is lacking behind the segment leaders. The LF sonata truly feels at least 10 years behind the times in terms of driving dynamics and fit and finish. I truly think Hyundai lacks the engineering expertise to build a truly great car. They seem to just slap on parts without really engineering the car as a whole. At least that’s my impression I get after driving Hyundai’s.
I definitely agree buddyIpal. I have dealt with 2 unrelated Hyundai dealerships here, and it was the same exact nonsense at both of them. Definitely a greedy rip off snake oil salesman vibe from the service departments. In all my years of driving, and all of the different makes of vehicles my family and I have owned, many both foreign and domestic, I have just never encountered any of this upselling before. Many of the Hyundai dealers are now Genesis dealers, and I am wondering for how long luxury car buyers are going to tolerate this type of lousy treatment? When I leased my 2019 Sonata Sport in May 2019, they never even bothered to check my credit score. :unsure::rolleyes::unsure:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ive been very happy with my 2017 Sport 2.0. It has been trouble free and has 97,000 miles driven hard in 3 years. Doesnt use a drop of oil and is reasonably fun to drive. For the $21,700 I paid new OTD it cant be beat. I had been previously driving sedans that cost $40,000 + (MBZ C250, Infiniti G37, M45, SHO) and for the money difference Im happy with my Sonata.

But that being said there are problem Sonatas so the only way Id recommend buying one used would be a CPO and extended warranty. Dollar for dollar you will get a lot more features than going Honda or Toyota. In general though you cant go wrong with a Camry or Accord but for the same $ you will be getting a little older and higher mileage one than a used Sonata.
I looked at a 2018 Camry LE yesterday with 18k and change miles for 19,995. One owner, no wrecks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not sure what everyone is talking about but I’ve owned 7 Hyundai‘s, 2 Sonatas 2017&2018, 4 Tucson’s 2010, 2013, 2016 & just bought a 2020 and a 2013 Elantra GT. Oh and bought my mother-in-law a 2018 Elantra last year and loved everyone of them. Have not had any problems out of any of them. Some people love to get on here and bash Hyundai I guess they have nothing else to do. My wife’s 2016 Tucson was so clean with all the service records (oil,filter changes, tire rotation and cabin filter changes) that they had someone waiting to buy it as soon as I wrote the check for the new one. Great cars.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not sure what everyone is talking about but I’ve owned 7 Hyundai‘s, 2 Sonatas 2017&2018, 4 Tucson’s 2010, 2013, 2016 & just bought a 2020 and a 2013 Elantra GT. Oh and bought my mother-in-law a 2018 Elantra last year and loved everyone of them. Have not had any problems out of any of them. Some people love to get on here and bash Hyundai I guess they have nothing else to do. My wife’s 2016 Tucson was so clean with all the service records (oil,filter changes, tire rotation and cabin filter changes) that they had someone waiting to buy it as soon as I wrote the check for the new one. Great cars.
Either you're real lucky or it's my usual crappy luck showing up. The last year my Sonata would eat oil (no leaks or exhaust smoke), vomit carbon onto the spark plugs and start misfiring. I can clean a set of plugs to almost like-new condition and change a set in under 15 mins from start to finish. Service dept at Hyundai gave me the run around saying since they couldn't replicate the prob they basically couldn't help me at the time. Bring it back when it started misfiring again (when I shouldn't be driving it anywhere). But this was the second time they looked at it. The first time they tried to tell me it needed a new set of plugs. 🤣 I had put a brand new (not cleaned) set in the evening before. Guess they thought because I was a woman I didn't know any better.

·
Registered
369 Posts
First off change dealer. You have an overly rich fuel problem that makes a lot of carbon. One way to fool a computer into producing a rich mixture, is if the ''temperature sensor'' is sending the wrong message. By telling a warm engine it is cold. Change it, they are cheap. Usually there are alternative plugs for an engine that are hotter or colder, to reduce the carbon. I don't think this is the total solution but it could help.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I must be lucky too, I've owned Hyundai's since 2011 never ever had a problem with any of them! My 19' Sonata won't be my last. My dealership here in Canada, ( British Columbia ) has been great in service work, and the odd recall/updates.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts