Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My needs have changed and I need a car with an automatic. So I was thinking of trading my current ride in for an automatic version. Got a quote from the dealer $1500 for remote starter, f/r mudguards, blockheater, locknuts, and chg fluids to meet -45C conditions. Is the fluid change portion necessary, does it not come from the factory with the correct fluids? Or is this another dealer scam? Just need advice so I can get the best price.

·
6,836 Posts
Interested in why you're changing! Are you stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic now?

I have personally not heard of cars needing their fluids changed right off the lot. I'm sure having them checked wouldn't hurt anything, but it's a new car, isn't it?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes, you probably do need to go with a different AF mix and possibly thinner oil if you're going to be driving/starting the car in -45 deg C (about -50 deg F) conditions (cars typically come from the factory with a 50-50 mix of AF and water that is good down to about -30 deg C) and you certainly need a block heater. Whether this is a fair price for this package of stuff, I don't know... the remote starter is probably driving most of this so the rest is probably not very important to the cost.

I'm curious why you need such low temperature capability. Are you commuting to the North Slope of Alaska?

- Mark

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
and chg fluids to meet -45C conditions.
Where in Kansas does it get down to -45C (-49 F) ???

I'd be interested to know exactly WHAT fluids they propose to change. The only things that come to mine are the coolant and the oil. I don't think anything else comes in a low temp. version.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts