Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife recently completed a long road trip (> 600 miles round trip) and complained of lower back and hip pain. Much as we love our Elantra GLS, the seats aren't as plush as the '96 Camry we were used to. This was not noticeable during our test drives, but seat comfort became more of an issue on long road trips.

We both have fairly upright seating postures, in part due to the awkward angle of today's modern head restraints. At this point, I don't know if we need lumbar or seat bottom enhancements. Do any of you have any suggestions on what we can do to improve driving comfort? Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
My wife recently completed a long road trip (> 600 miles round trip) and complained of lower back and hip pain. Much as we love our Elantra GLS, the seats aren't as plush as the '96 Camry we were used to. This was not noticeable during our test drives, but seat comfort became more of an issue on long road trips.

We both have fairly upright seating postures, in part due to the awkward angle of today's modern head restraints. At this point, I don't know if we need lumbar or seat bottom enhancements. Do any of you have any suggestions on what we can do to improve driving comfort? Thanks.

Chris
The wire mesh support does a lot for lower back support, which these seats lack. Because of my arthritis as well as lower back pain, these did the trick.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
but seat comfort became more of an issue on long road trips.

I've noticed that too. My solution is to take the Malibu for long trips. :rolleyes:

I suggest sitting angled back one or two clicks AND a lumbar support first. They are easier to find and adjust and fairly inexpensive.
And believe it or not, the position of your FEET and legs can make a big difference too.
Not changing their position for long periods of time can reflect back up your torso.

The wire mesh support does a lot for lower back support,
What exactly is a "wire mesh support" and where do you get them ??

·
22,793 Posts
I've noticed that too. My solution is to take the Malibu for long trips. :rolleyes:

I suggest sitting angled back one or two clicks AND a lumbar support first. They are easier to find and adjust and fairly inexpensive.
And believe it or not, the position of your FEET and legs can make a big difference too.
Not changing their position for long periods of time can reflect back up your torso.

Just a general reference: Amazon. Search "seat mesh lumbar."'This may put you in the ballpark for ideas. I'm certain they have them for car seats, as well.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Just a general reference: Amazon. Search "seat mesh lumbar."'This may put you in the ballpark for ideas. I'm certain they have them for car seats, as well.
Yes, that's the one. It works perfectly fine in cars. Pressed into the gap, it stays in place w/o using the elastic band. They also do a nice job keeping your back nice and cool.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
For me it just took experimentation with the seating positions. I sit more upright and closer to the wheel in this car. It also helps to stop and stretch every few hours.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've had car seats that aggravate back problems, though I have found the Elantra to be comfortable. I got one of these wedge seat cushions a few years ago- highly recommended to help alleviate the awkward angle all car seats seem to have- bad angle for the back.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Some months ago I saw those wire mesh supports at the dollar store (Dollar Tree). Haven't noticed them recently, though, but you might take a look.

Geoff

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Some months ago I saw those wire mesh supports at the dollar store (Dollar Tree). Haven't noticed them recently, though, but you might take a look.

Geoff
I remember getting a few from ebay for less than $15.00 for 3 w/ shipping.

·
22,793 Posts
I have one laying around here, somewhere. Bought it at a garage sale for half a buck. For the wife...no idea what she did with it...

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had a bit of discomfort on my recent 3 week road trip. During the first part of the trip, I had a tingling sensation in my hip area. Oddly enough, I was able to solve it by tilting the front part of the seat down (my Elantra has an option where I can tilt the seat forward). The 'wedge' cushion that Rose posted earlier in this thread might also serve the same purpose if your model does not have this particular adjustment.

I went from having a bad lower back and upper legs during an 8-hour drive to being able to handle a 14 hour drive no problemo.

·
22,793 Posts
Feeling your discomfort...somewhat. Trip to Virginia last May wasn't all that bad. But it had its moments. Stopping every 400 miles for gas is too long of an interval for this old man. Although I was "reasonably" comfortable as one can get on a 1,300 mile jaunt, it took a toll on the body. Recovered nicely once I got to my destination.

So, this trip to Breckenridge next week is by air to Denver, car for 90 minutes...give or take. Besides, we can be in Denver in 75-90 minutes, as opposed to 12-14 hours of "butts in the seat" time. Not sure how well I could handle it if I had physical issues with sitting that long. Hopefull I never will. And Ingrid needs a vacation, too! :grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts