Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, great forum you have here, looking forward to learning a lot from everyone. Need some quick advice...

Am in the market for an 06-07 Sonata GLS for my college age daughter. Just went to see one and decided to walk away. Wondering if I made the right call!

Car in question is an '07 GLS with a 4 cyl., pretty much what she's looking for. Guy is asking $9,500. Car has 62k miles and is in decent shape. Edmunds TMV is about $8,000 (private party value, good condition). Has had regular oil changes but only the 52,500 mile service at the dealer, not the 60,000 (or any others). Front end alignment is off, driver's side front tire is noticeably worn more than the passenger side, but the car doesn't pull, even when hard braking. Trunk lid has some light damage but opens and closes fine. Body had a couple of chips where rust was forming underneath but the paint overall was in good condition. Overall it appears to be a solid car. Drives well.

My concerns are the missing 60k service and the alignment. I know what the 60k service entails and I need to make some calls to find out what it costs to have done (only for the exact items in the owner's manual). I also need a price on an alignment (4-wheel, I presume). Can anyone here give me a ballpark on those? I'm in New Jersey.

What would you offer this guy for the car knowing the above? We're just starting our search for a Sonata (it's the 2nd one we've looked at) and we've got cash so we're in no rush. Still, it was hard to walk away, my daughter really wanted this car. :( I just wasn't feeling the love...

Thanks for any input,

-kj-

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Well for starters, if the Edmunds Value is $8000, why would you consider $9500? You can pick up a 06 or 07 Model

with plenty of New Car Warranty left. And I have heard of prices a lot lower. Money Talks and BS Walks. But don't give

up on the Sonata. You would get the remaining 5 Year, 60K New Car Warranty!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 21 2010, 08:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325182
Well for starters, if the Edmunds Value is $8000, why would you consider $9500? You can pick up a 06 or 07 Model

with plenty of New Car Warranty left. And I have heard of prices a lot lower. Money Talks and BS Walks. But don't give

up on the Sonata. You would get the remaining 5 Year, 60K New Car Warranty!
I probably could have gotten it for $8k, but the thought of dropping another grand for the 60k service & alignment killed me, making it a $9k investment. :/

Gonna keep looking...

-kj-

·
1,914 Posts
It sounds like there are more things you don't like about the car then like. The car seems to be in rough shape and seeing as how you would need to put atleast $1k into it, I'd offer $7,000. My opinion? Keep looking, you will find cars in better shape worth $9,000.

·
Registered
550 Posts
It's been my experience that privately sold cars usually get a price between Kelly Blue Book Dealer Trade-in and KBB Private Party. KBB trade in is $6,725 (excellent condition). Kbb private party is $8,850 (excellent condition). If the car were in perfect shape, I would expect it to sell for $7,800. If you subtract your cost to bring it up to excellent shape ($600 for 60,000 mile service), a fair price would be $7,200.

But if this guy is asking $9,500, he may live in never-never land. It may take him some time to realize the car is worth much less. If you are the first person to slap him in the face with reality, he may view your offer as an insult. Choose your battles.....Good luck.

·
Registered
367 Posts
There are plenty of GLS, from a dealer that you can get with under 60K miles on it. That way you can use some of the second owner warranty 5 years /60K miles.
The dealer will have a sticker price of $12K to $15K on it but you can talk them down to $8K - $11K. And still have the peace of mind of a warranty if thats what you want.

I wouldn't pay over $6500 for this car, based on the information you provided. It doesn't looks like this seller takes care of their car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Outstanding 411 ... thanks everyone. Appreciate the confirmation of our decision and the perspectives on our situation. We're in no rush and we've got cash so we can afford to wait for the right deal. Thanks again! -kj-

·
Registered
587 Posts
60k is what an trans fluid change and coolant flush? Would not worry too much about 60k service, just get the coolant/tranny fluid changed. I still have OEM fuel filter on car I'm fine.

101.5k miles here. I wouldn't worry about the alignment until you get new tires, if its not pulling, just save the money till you get new tires. There's a good chance he probably never rotated the tires which is why the tires are wearing funny.

At 50k I had a trans flush, 76k coolant flush.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts