Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a result of previous poor maintenance, my dealership have told me I need a new engine for my Santa Fe. (Ouch!) They can't give me an exact quote for labour... or even a close one. Any idea how long it should take?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
They can't give you an exact quote for labor??? At the dealer???

I don't know about Australia, but in the US there's a big book with every known type of repair for every car, complete with breakdown of hours for each associated task.

I'd find another dealer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, but how often does a dealership have to re-install an engine? That's a pretty major overhaul.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As mentioned, here in the states there's a big book with 'standard labor rates', aka how long it takes to do a particular tasks. Most repair shops use it, even though the times are usually longer than it actually takes.

A shade tree mech can swap an engine over a weekend, I see no reason a fully equipped shop can't do it in that amount of time (or less).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (pen411 @ Jul 9 2010, 02:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340091
As mentioned, here in the states there's a big book with 'standard labor rates', aka how long it takes to do a particular tasks. Most repair shops use it, even though the times are usually longer than it actually takes.

A shade tree mech can swap an engine over a weekend, I see no reason a fully equipped shop can't do it in that amount of time (or less).
They just got back to me.... saying 25hrs!

Are they serious?!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Dicko70 @ Jul 9 2010, 12:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340109
They just got back to me.... saying 25hrs!

Are they serious?!
Most likely, yes. Swapping the engine is often about 20% of the actual task. Disconnecting the transaxle, a massive amount of plumbing and electrical, pulling all of the engine drive accessories, and reinstalling all of it takes up the rest. Three man days of work seems entirely appropriate. It's not like the old days where you had a few wires, a throttle cable and a fuel line to deal with - not to mention enough space to sit inside the engine compartment while you were doing it. Take a look at the rat's nest in there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Many dealers go by Mitchell Manual rates. They are an average of a variety of automobiles, and are used to create a "standard" for labor billing. Example - standard Mitchell Manual rate for changing an O2 sensor is 1 hour...even though on many cars (transverse 4's and some 6's) it's a 15 minute job because the sensor is staring you in the face when you pop the hood.

25 hrs for a complete engine swap doesn't seem too bad, considering. Like mentioned above, lots of electrical connections and plumbing to consider. Then you've gotta test it all to be sure it works well (recharge the A/C, refill the radiator, brake fluid, tranny fluid, etc.).

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
By posting here in the 2G subforum, what year and engine we working with..

We run with a price guide set up on Reynolds & Reynolds.. a lot of times it is grossly under priced so I'll give it a whirl here..

Warranty --> only show V6, no distinction -- 20.0 hr, add 0.06 for 4WD..

Our price guide -- 27.4hr for a 3.3 ///// 27.4 for the 2.7L also, add $2700 (USD) for long block, add for misc gaskets, oil, coolant, hardware, drive belt, thermostat ? (may alreeady be on long block)..

rough estimate, not a final finished product, as not taken apart to see/know what might be needed to re-assemble complete and drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts