Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after getting burned at the dealership, I'm thinking I'd like to start to learn some basic stuff on how to take care of stuff on my car.

The only things I do now, on my own, are change the cabin air filter and the engine air filter, and the wipers. I know, sad.

But, I'd like to start to learn some other basic things as well, like changing brake pads (assuming that easy), spark plugs, and the like.

I tried to Google Hyundai Accent DYI book, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I don't have any friends that are into fixing up cars... and checked things like Meetup.com, but nothing in my area.

I know Youtube is a plethora of knowledge, but I would like a book, if possible. I like to have it next to where I'm working, in my hands.

I don't really have a garage per se, but I do have a place I could tinker if something needed to take all day to do.

Anyhow, some of you guys do some amazing stuff with your cars, so any advice on how/where to get started would be great. My accent is coming up on 90K, so anything that I could do myself I'd rather, than pay Meineke or some place like that to do something I would be able to do myself.

Also, please let me know if there is something I shouldn't mess with - that it's just better to let a dealership do.

I'm a novice, so it's not like I'm going to try to rebuild an engine anytime soon, lol :)

Thanks much for any advice / info.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You mean a "Do It Yourself" book? Your local parts store (AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts) carries the ever so legendary Hanes manual. It covers everything. They run about $25, but mine has saved me several times.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
only problem is haynes manuals are no better than pulling up the repair info online...are you looking for more of a generalized car repair manual to get you started?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Really?

This was stickied in the forum...

Make a free account and use this https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com

It has every possible thing you can think of on changing regardless if u want beginner or experienced..

Everyone keeps referring to this online manual, and I've been there more than once myself, but I have to say I haven't been that impressed. Seems like most of the info I am looking for comes with fairly basic (not detailed) parts diagrams and not a lot of size specific information. Maybe I'm not using the site right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts