Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an extra laying around?

1400 mile round trip to pick up the grandkiddies. Left at 5 AM, rolling back in 3 AM the next morning. Both ways through Atlanta, all that construction on I-85 in SC, I get less than 1/2 mile from the house, run off the road. Can't believe the tire is still holding air, the rim is cracked through.

I see refurbd's for $300+-, new one at Online Hyundai Parts Superstore | OEM Parts Online for $450 including shipping.

Any better ideas? And yep, it's parked till fixed.

TIA!!

Doug

·
Registered
2022 Hampton Grey Sonata NLine
106 Posts
I’ve bought an OEM rim in the past for a new maxima on eBay and had no problems. There are several reputable rim dealers with perfect feedback on eBay

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,495 Posts
In Los Angeles there are a lot of mobile rim repair businesses (just as an example in L.A. Los Angeles – Dr. Wheel Mobile Wheel Repair ) I would think they are in most cities.

Ive seen them come to the dealership and weld up , true, polish or paint damaged rims on the spot. it might be less than a replacement. Especially if it is still holding air, it may be cosmetic

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All for the input. Looked into Mobile Wheel repair, you are spot on xaran. Looks like they can do some amazing work. Another plus with that is not having to take the rim off, go to one of the few places in town that will mount a used tire on a used rim; pay for mount and TPMS relo... Here's the crack. Its on the outside of the bead, can see daylight through it. Tire still up to pressure but afraid to damage the tire or worse if driven.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2022 Hampton Grey Sonata NLine
106 Posts
Thanks All for the input. Looked into Mobile Wheel repair, you are spot on xaran. Looks like they can do some amazing work. Another plus with that is not having to take the rim off, go to one of the few places in town that will mount a used tire on a used rim; pay for mount and TPMS relo... Here's the crack. Its on the outside of the bead, can see daylight through it. Tire still up to pressure but afraid to damage the tire or worse if driven.

View attachment 472215
I definitely think you are making the right decision on Fixing that rim. It may hold pressure but god forbid you had to swerve to avoid something at highway speed there’s no telling what could happen!!! Let us know how it works out!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have replaced one (not this car though) with far less damage. Not sure why you wouldn't buy a replacement for a few hundred. Local repair places were only a roughly 20-25% savings. Never know if a used one was a repair or not (although most on eBay will say they are repaired), and not all repairs are done correctly. Not sure I would risk something as important as a rim that if repaired improperly could cause an accident. If it cracked that bad I would bet there were other stresses put on that wheel that you can't see just yet. I could see repairing some superficial curb rash but not this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again. Going to replace it with a new one ordered online.
Prices for Mobile, AL were $175 just to get it welded. A used scuffed up one on EBay is $200 + shipping. Refurbed runs $250-333 + shipping. Going with $450 for a new one online delivered to my door. $590 My local friendly dealer wants $590 plus $59 tax.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Prices for Mobile, AL were $175 just to get it welded. A used scuffed up one on EBay is $200 + shipping. Refurbed runs $250-333 + shipping. Going with $450 for a new one online delivered to my door. $590 My local friendly dealer wants $590 plus $59 tax.
Good call. I had to bite the bullet on a '21 VW Atlas wheel after my wife hit a curb at a medium speed. I wasn't in the car so I wasn't sure how bad it was but I was more concerned with the potential damage I couldn't see. Bought a new wheel through a local dealer online at a good discount vs walking up to the parts window and then called them to make a deal on the tire (matched online/local stores) I needed to replace as well. They were able to mount and balance the set making it easy for me to pick up and then drive home and swap it in my driveway.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,495 Posts
Did you check Hubcap haven that "hochiinn" recommended in the #2 post? Looked like they had all of the DN model wheels in stock new for less than $400 shipped, some closer to $300

Your exact wheel is $389 shipped and in stock

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you check Hubcap haven that "hochiinn" recommended in the #2 post? Looked like they had all of the DN model wheels in stock new for less than $400 shipped, some closer to $300

Your exact wheel is $389 shipped and in stock

I did indeed call HH and a few others, however all were refurbished. Getting a new one to the door for $436. I feel more comfortable parting with $$ for something I know where its been. Women excluded.

To Steve's suggestion: None of my local dealers (3 within 1 hour) offered online ordering at a reduced rate. I found quite few in larger metro areas with prices ranging from $413-$499 + delivery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts