Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the navigation system that comes in the Hyundai.

I wonder if all models have the same system or does the top of the line vehicle offer more than the lower priced models?

Having a 2013 SF LWB that I purchased on 8/1/13 I currently have near 13,000 miles on it after trips ranging from TN to Washington DC, GA, Texas and as far west as Las Vegas.

On more that one occasion the system failed to notify me to exit until I was on top of the exit and in the wrong lane to accomplish that.

I have been directed to roads that weren't there, etc. been directed to turn on one way streets.

In general I have found the system to not be completely unreliable.

I have had numerous Garmin units and they have never failed me. I have never had any of the problems I indicated with Hyundai.

To learn that Hyundai charges $195.00 for an update when it is available I am appalled! You can buy a new Garmin that comes with FREE lifetime updates for that price. I have had years when Garmin put out more than one update in a year.

On my next extended trip I shall be using the Garmin.

:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
378 Posts
The OEM nav systems are not a good investment. There are many links on the net which will tell you that.They are;
Expensive as an option
Very expensive to update
Do not have anywhere nesr the waypoints that over the counter units have
Can only be operated by the driver
Graphics are brutal
Have been found to be very inaccurate.

I have stated before that this option should not be forced onto the customer and is a major money grab by the mfg. You can buy a Tom Tom, Garmin for a third of the price and get traffic and free map updates each quarter. The graphics are much better and they are more accurate by far.

Rip off by Hyundai and all mfgs loading these into units as standard equipment. Even Ford with the MFT offers the Nav section as an option.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
I no longer own my 2013 Santa Fe but in truth I found it to be very good. Obviously I can't account for your experience but it is a cut above the ones currently on the 2013 Elantras, Sonatas, Azeras and Genesis. Oddly enough the Veloster has an excellent GPS unit. Go figure.

I do agree totally that the cost of the upgrade is unconscionable. I too have a Garmin that I use with a beanbag in my Sonata in addition to the Nav system it came with. It is vastly superior. It shows the speed limits, the speed of the vehicle, and if going over the speed limit will glow red. And as you say it has lifetime upgrades.

Hyundai needs to fix this aggravation as they win no friends from this rip-off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had my 2014 SFS with Nav for 2 months now and have 2 long multi-state trips behind me. The Nav and large screen is really nice on long road trips. The display and whole integrated audio is great and a good intuitive user interface. Much much better than looking at your phone or a small garmin taped to the windshield. The streets were correct for me, but the business directory is lacking or possibly out of date. Google is the best for searching for a particular business.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I upgraded my factory radio to Nav using the CompassNav unit. I am extremely pleased. Certainly could have purchased the Nav OEM but that would have increased the price of my Santa Fe Limited around $4500. Too much for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the factory navi in my 2013 SFS and I like the systems graphics and interface with one exception. The voice command is a pain, it never seems to find what I'm looking for. Some of it might be on me, but when I use the Bluelink nav search feature it's right 90% of the time. My fall back is my WAZE app on the Iphone, it also has turn by turn direction.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the factory navi in my 2013 SFS and I like the systems graphics and interface with one exception. The voice command is a pain, it never seems to find what I'm looking for. Some of it might be on me, but when I use the Bluelink nav search feature it's right 90% of the time. My fall back is my WAZE app on the Iphone, it also has turn by turn direction.
Agree, the voice command system seems like it leaves a lot to be desired. I just don't get it, I have an Android phone and it hardly ever misses. I guess it just depends on what Hyundai thinks is important. Obviously they are not too concerned on the functionally of their system.

:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
In 2011 I purchased a Sante Fe with the in-car Navigation System. The day we drove the car off the lot the maps were out of date. I contacted the dealership and was told it would automatically update. Two years later we asked again and were told we had to pay $200 to have the maps updated. Now, the car is 3-years-old and the navigation system is so bad it is dangerous. We don’t even turn it on. For $200, we purchased a Garmin with free lifetime map updates. So we now drive a Sante Fe, with a built in navigation system, and a Garmin attached to the windshield. Friends are shocked at what we have had to do.

Why is Hyundai doing this to their customers? I tried to speak to Hyundai Customer Connect System “Lead’ Laura who gave me nothing but attitude. How outrageous to charge what you do for the system, then expect us to pay $200 each time it needs to be updated. Are you crazy???

I’m done with Hyundai. Oh yea, did I mention that the Sante Fe was my third, and now last, Hyundai purchase.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure were you all live and what routes you have taken but......

I had a 2009 Santa Fe Limited with the OEM nav unit (which I think was 1st generation) that we drove on a two week 6500 mile trip - from Wisconsin to Seattle, down the coast to Yosemite, Las Vegas, Zion and other parks in UT, came back through Denver, Kansas - roughly 15 states. Only once did it not give us the correct guidance and that was in UT. It kept telling me to turn east on what looked like private property dirt roads. All in all it did a GREAT job and then some!

I feel the OEM unit in my 2013 SFS Turbo, which I think is 3rd generation, is totally more awesome! Love how it shows the speed limits.

Patt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure were you all live and what routes you have taken but......

I had a 2009 Santa Fe Limited with the OEM nav unit (which I think was 1st generation) that we drove on a two week 6500 mile trip - from Wisconsin to Seattle, down the coast to Yosemite, Las Vegas, Zion and other parks in UT, came back through Denver, Kansas - roughly 15 states. Only once did it not give us the correct guidance and that was in UT. It kept telling me to turn east on what looked like private property dirt roads. All in all it did a GREAT job and then some!

I feel the OEM unit in my 2013 SFS Turbo, which I think is 3rd generation, is totally more awesome! Love how it shows the speed limits.

Patt
It is good that you have had nothing but good experiences. I too went on a major road trip west last year, I had bad direction experiences in Ft Worth, TX, Dallas. The issues were failure to notify quickly enough to get into position to exit. In a few cases not told to exit until we were at or just past the xway ramp. The same thing happened on a later trip in the Washington DC area. There are things I like about the system display, the exit distances on the xways and your distance to each for example as well as rest areas. The only issue I see there is that if you don't have a programmed route in then you don't see them. I would like to see that a feature anytime you are on an xway. The unit is certainly smart enough to know when you are on an xway. I would also like for it to show your current speed as well as the posted speed, just like Garmin does. Elevation would be a mother item that could be shown.
In another matter I think Hyundai is ripping the owner to force them to pay for both Guidance and Assurance with Bluelink. Guidance would be nice but I don't need the other. I rarely use the guidance for that matter.
As I mentioned Garmin now has a unit you can talk to, if it functions the same way as Bluelink does for directions then that will hurt Hyundai and other mfgs who have similar services.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use an app on my phone called MotionX GPS Drive, it was .99 cents and it is the best GPS I have ever used. I have had 3 Garmin handhelds, and two in dash Pioneer's and I stopped using them because the phone was so much better and its always with you. It gives voice guidance over BT so it comes throughout the car just like the factory system. Searching is much easier than the other units, rerouting is quick, and the directions are very reliable. On my first two Garmin units if you missed a turn the rerouting was so slow that you missed 4 more turns before it figured out were it was. The Pioneer's worked fairly well but were an expensive initial purchase and then they wanted to rake you over the coals for the yearly updates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use an app on my phone called MotionX GPS Drive, it was .99 cents and it is the best GPS I have ever used. I have had 3 Garmin handhelds, and two in dash Pioneer's and I stopped using them because the phone was so much better and its always with you. It gives voice guidance over BT so it comes throughout the car just like the factory system. Searching is much easier than the other units, rerouting is quick, and the directions are very reliable. On my first two Garmin units if you missed a turn the rerouting was so slow that you missed 4 more turns before it figured out were it was. The Pioneer's worked fairly well but were an expensive initial purchase and then they wanted to rake you over the coals for the yearly updates.
Too bad that it appears to be for the iPhone only. it sounds good. Here is a link about it.

MotionX GPS Drive Review: Hands Down the Best Value In GPS Apps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just came across this. It might be helpful to Android users. It enables you to talk to any number of navigation devices on your phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ganoteria.TalkAndDriveWiz&hl=en

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just came across this. It might be helpful to Android users. It enables you to talk to any number of navigation devices on your phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ganoteria.TalkAndDriveWiz&hl=en
Maybe not so good, when you read the reviews all they talk about are the distracting popup ad's, I don't know if there is a paid version available.

In one of the reviews the person says they feel that the Navigon phone app is top drawer, that makes sense as it is produced by Garmin. It costs about $70.00. If you can talk to it that would really be great.

| NAVIGON - a Garmin company.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I live in Bay area. The SF is the wife's ride. I get to drive it on weekends ;-)
I was using a Garmin nuvi 265t in my previous 07 SF. Garmin was up to date and was still missing one u-turn in my area, not perfect. The traffic alert was pretty much useless. In fact I turned that off.
The oem in my new SF has not missed one turn in my known routes.
Also graphics and easy of use are a huge improvements in the oem system.
Traffic alerts feature has positively surprised me. I am amazed when it says traffic on your route in 10 minutes do you want to reroute? I was driving once and said, I see no traffic here, let's keep going. Sure enough in about 10 minutes we hit traffic!
On the down side, I did accept to be rerouted a couple of times and it came back saying no alternative route... I mean, I understand it can be congested everywhere, but why asking to reroute?
Also, I believe time to destination is correct in no traffic, when traffic exists it is not reliable. I guess that is ok.
Overall I am pretty happy with it and subscribed to traffic alert for 2 years, about $150.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I live in Bay area. The SF is the wife's ride. I get to drive it on weekends ;-)
I was using a Garmin nuvi 265t in my previous 07 SF. Garmin was up to date and was still missing one u-turn in my area, not perfect. The traffic alert was pretty much useless. In fact I turned that off.
The oem in my new SF has not missed one turn in my known routes.
Also graphics and easy of use are a huge improvements in the oem system.
Traffic alerts feature has positively surprised me. I am amazed when it says traffic on your route in 10 minutes do you want to reroute? I was driving once and said, I see no traffic here, let's keep going. Sure enough in about 10 minutes we hit traffic!
On the down side, I did accept to be rerouted a couple of times and it came back saying no alternative route... I mean, I understand it can be congested everywhere, but why asking to reroute?
Also, I believe time to destination is correct in no traffic, when traffic exists it is not reliable. I guess that is ok.
Overall I am pretty happy with it and subscribed to traffic alert for 2 years, about $150.
Tell us what version is the software /firmware on your OEM unit? When did you buy your 13SF? Have you had any updates to the unit, maps, OS?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Tell us what version is the software /firmware on your OEM unit? When did you buy your 13SF? Have you had any updates to the unit, maps, OS?
Thanks for asking... so I can correct myself :(
I checked my receipt and found out that I actually paid a lot less than what I thought (for some reason I always think I have overpaid):
Package Subscription Term Charges
XM NavTraffic (R) (2 Year) 12/15/2013 - 12/15/2015* $83.7

Sorry for not being accurate before.
It's all standard, no updates or hacks... got mine in Sep '13.
It says:
S/W Ver. NC.USA.SOP.14.006
Firmware ver. NC.USA.PR.P05.121220
NAVIAPP VER. NC.USA.00.12112114
MAP VER USA.05.44.59.001

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for asking... so I can correct myself :(
I checked my receipt and found out that I actually paid a lot less than what I thought (for some reason I always think I have overpaid):
Package Subscription Term Charges
XM NavTraffic (R) (2 Year) 12/15/2013 - 12/15/2015* $83.7

Sorry for not being accurate before.
It's all standard, no updates or hacks... got mine in Sep '13.
It says:
S/W Ver. NC.USA.SOP.14.006
Firmware ver. NC.USA.PR.P05.121220
NAVIAPP VER. NC.USA.00.12112114
MAP VER USA.05.44.59.001
Thanks, I will check that against mine. Based on my history I would say you are fortunate.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts