Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the SD cards for the Navigation system updates?

I have a 2016 Santa Fe Sport and when I bought was told "Carplay will be available soon!". So that's not happening grrr so I am wondering about the existing updates.

I'm on map version 8.5 and my SD card has part number 96554-4Z104 STD 3.X.

I refuse to spend $169 to update my maps since I'm used to the free Garmin updates for my other car and my iPhone just having maps for free so here I am. Welcome to in dash OEM nav systems I guess.

I see a lot of new SD cards on eBay in the $75 range and they are "guaranteed to work". Most of them are part number 96554-4Z502 which is Gen 4.0.

My question is (sorry for taking so long to get here). If you look at this matrix

SD Matrix

For the Santa Fe Sport, anyone know the difference between Gen 3.0 and Gen 4.0 SD cards? Not sure if a Gen 4.0 card is for a Gen 4.0 head unit or if that doesn't matter at all. Is a Gen 4.0 head unit the new ones 2017 and above and Gen 3.0 is what we all have 2013-2016? For those it just says Map update only so that's confusing because you can still buy an SD card.

I was going to email mapnsoft and ask the question about part numbers (not mentioning eBay of course) but their page is so cheesy the contact us page is just broken.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, mapnsoft's contact us page is working now. I sent them a message. I'll reply back when I find out in case anyone else is wondering too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't think anyone has ever had luck buying a card on eBay.. at least, not that I've heard of. I'm sure it can't be that easy. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, there's quite a few things I've done in my lifetime where with just a little bit of extra work I've saved a lot of money so I'm curious if this is one of them.

In looking at the matrix again. Although it doesn't say, I think the Gen 4.0 Nav units are the 2017/2018 Sante Fe Sports and that's why they keep having new part numbers up to the current version but the Gen 3.0 only has SD card part numbers that go up to v9.5 and after that they say "map update only" meaning there are not SD cards for those from Hyundai. So I could technically spend $75 on eBay to go from 8.5 to 9.5 but that's not really worth it when new is 11.5.

I think my best bet is to just wait till it starts making mistakes on newer roads and then buy on Black Friday when they drop the price.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't think they reduced the price on Black Friday. I looked because it would have been worth it to me to update if it had been a reduced price.. When I checked, it was full price.

I wasn't trying to discourage you. I'd just hate to see you waste money if it's not guaranteed to work. Hopefully someone else who has tried a used card can chime in. I don't think my nav has ever been updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vanillathrilla, I think you were right. I don't think the SD cards on eBay can be used to upgrade everything. I'm a little confused what they actually do and I couldn't get all the details as to that. I'm wondering if they just provide the latest maps but don't do the rest of the navigation system updates?

They were definitely cheaper on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, I am 100% sure of that because I looked. I am hoping they will do that every year. I think it was like $20? They also knock the map price down $50? right before each new map comes out, I've seen them do that a few times.

I emailed back and forth with mapnsoft and the 12.0 upgrade is coming out in March and, that person said, there will be a price reduction. I can't imagine many customers pay the $169 to upgrade these things but maybe I'm naïve.

I have the 8.5 maps and it's only made a mistake a handful of times. Our other car has a standalone Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic so this is definitely a step down have $169 map updates and no traffic unless you pay $3/month although the traffic only works in the cities anyway on both so no big deal there since I live in the "country". Also my phone does all this for free. It is nice using an in dash system though.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I remember reading that 2013 through 15 and probably 16 had a Microsoft operating system running on the head unit. probably the old Windows CE OS almost like the Ford Sync system. Someone said the newer head units that will work with Car Play and Android what ever they call it uses an Android OS. Any version above 9.5 is probably map updates and POI updates. probably not changes to the older operating systems. eBay SD cards will not work. When you order the card or download they require your vin number. You have to then contact them for a code number to punch in for the update SD card.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts