Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Santa Fe Sport Ultimate 2.0, yada yada...

Nav system WORKS, but when I'm in the mode with the instructions as text on the right side, they scroll UPWARD - as in the trip starts from the BOTTOM line and goes up. Since this is totally backward from the other three cars that have (or had) nav systems, it would be REALLY nice to have the instructions start at the top and scroll down.

I can't find anything in the Owner's guide to fix this. HOW do I change the scroll order?

·
Registered
360 Posts
You plug in your phone and use android auto or Apple car play. Why anyone would use the stock nav over Google maps or Apple maps is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
You plug in your phone and use android auto or Apple car play. Why anyone would use the stock nav over Google maps or Apple maps is beyond me.
Can't speak about Android Carplay...but ApplePlay maps are "OK", but erroneous a couple of times in terms of turns and local roads.

I have literally used both the onboard navigation and ApplePlay maps for the same routes...and found them to be 98% identical. For the remaining 2%, the onboard navigation seems to have occasional more current detail on local streets, while the Apple Carplay has occasional more current secondary highway detail.

That's not a scientific comparison...but it has shown the two are actually very much alike most of the time. We've do get identical routes and detail most of the time.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Never had a problem with onboard navigation!
No problems here either.

Outlined minuscule differences with the phone app maps in my previous post.

From the 7 people I know with Hyundai navigation - 3 prefer the Apple Carplay maps (both millennials), and 4 the onboard navigation (non-millennials).

Not scientific data either way...just pointing it out as "interesting". Perhaps there's "that millennial preference thing for anything phone". Our daughter has a 2017 Santa Fe Sport...and she's actually said she prefers "apps on the phone" for numerous things, including navigation.

As for the original post...there's supposed to be a navigation update later in the year...maybe that will be one of the changes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have had factory navigation in several cars in the past. I like the screen size and the ease of use. I am 67 years old and not glued to my cell phone like most millennials are. I will never understand the attraction. But my question is how much data does my iPhone use with apple maps? I have a Kia Soul without Navigation and was planning a 350 mile trip with the Kia. My wife and I share a low 2 GB data plan and never use it all in the month. Would I blow all of my data with the iPhone on the trip down and back or would I be ok. I know you phone users have unlimited plans and may not know what it really uses in real time. Should I use my phone or buy a GPS from Garman or one of the other companies. Need help from phone users.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all... And now that we've heard all about the joys of Apple whatever or Google maps, and cell phones, can I get an answer to the ORIGINAL question... HOW do I change the instruction list to scroll from top to bottom instead of bottom to top?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks all... And now that we've heard all about the joys of Apple whatever or Google maps, and cell phones, can I get an answer to the ORIGINAL question... HOW do I change the instruction list to scroll from top to bottom instead of bottom to top?
Response in Post #5 - you'll likely have to see if that design changes in the next navigation software update (I checked numerous places on this topic and found no setup/configuration that allows you to change it as it works today).

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe limited
195 Posts
I have had factory navigation in several cars in the past. I like the screen size and the ease of use. I am 67 years old and not glued to my cell phone like most millennials are. I will never understand the attraction. But my question is how much data does my iPhone use with apple maps? I have a Kia Soul without Navigation and was planning a 350 mile trip with the Kia. My wife and I share a low 2 GB data plan and never use it all in the month. Would I blow all of my data with the iPhone on the trip down and back or would I be ok. I know you phone users have unlimited plans and may not know what it really uses in real time. Should I use my phone or buy a GPS from Garman or one of the other companies. Need help from phone users.
If you can load google maps, it has the feature to load a map of your trip area and then use just your GPS so no data needed. Just make sure you turn of data to force it.
Not sure how much data your iphone would use but probably a fair chunk of your monthly 2GB

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for the information on the phone data use. I found an app called CoPilot GPS on the app store. It lets you download maps for your area of all US and run off the map data like a stand alone GPS. You can download updates free at anytime. I will use this and see how it treats my data.

·
Registered
441 Posts
2017 Santa Fe Sport Ultimate 2.0, yada yada...

Nav system WORKS, but when I'm in the mode with the instructions as text on the right side, they scroll UPWARD - as in the trip starts from the BOTTOM line and goes up. Since this is totally backward from the other three cars that have (or had) nav systems, it would be REALLY nice to have the instructions start at the top and scroll down.

I can't find anything in the Owner's guide to fix this. HOW do I change the scroll order?
My daughter has a 2017 Santa Fe Sport as well...she just got a notice a week ago (on myHyundai.com) that there is an update available to the Navigation software. Not sure what updated content is included.

·
Registered
154 Posts

This would be a good thread to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honestly it depends on how much data the "Map" app that you use. Every cell phone has a setting in it for a warning feature when your data gets low. I would suggest looking into your phone manufacture and see how to adjust the warning notification.

I have a Samsung Phone and this is where mine is located:

Settings:
Data Usage:
Alert Me about Data Usage: Turn this On
Mobile Data Usage: Click it
Then click the gear at the top right:
Put in what you would like a warning at. I would suggest 1.5 GB

Hope this helps you!

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
782 Posts
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/4n0rj4/how_much_data_does_apple_maps_use/

IMO, for the $75-100 bucks for the Garman/whatever, you could probably just temporarily up your data plan for a month (unless it's like verizon or someone that makes you sign a 2 year contract).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for the information on the phone data. I am on Verizon but found out I can buy a block of data extra for my trip. I may do that and see how it turns out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks for the information on the phone data. I am on Verizon but found out I can buy a block of data extra for my trip. I may do that and see how it turns out.
Have you checked out the navigational software update that I mentioned previously?

My daughter's 2017 Santa Fe Sport got the update and it seems to be working fine - not sure if it addressed your screen directional issue.

Regardless, it's usually a good idea to have the most current nav softare installed for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wonder if a factory reset would fix the issue. It doesn't seem to be an issue with anyone else. I haven't checked myself but seems strange that it would be in reverse order. I assume that the directions on the map are correct and not in reverse order, maybe just use that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts