Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my silver SE w/nav for 2 days now and am enjoying it very much. One problem though is the navigation...though initially I thought it was great, after doing some POI searches I was disappointed. e.g. I put in POI search for "Target" stores and it showed me a Target store 300 miles away when there is one less than 5 miles away and many more within a 50 mile radius! It also couldn't show me any Chase banks nearby, though there is one <2 miles from me.

Is there a way to update these built-in GPS units? Does Hyundai provide updates for free? If anyone knows, it would be great to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Updates are not free to my knowledge. Did you make sure that your POI search was for your area?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have to agree with the OP mine to will give me POI for 200-300 miles away. Even when I want a Best Buy it shows me ones in KC which is not near my current location.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Jul 7 2010, 09:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339468
I have to agree with the OP mine to will give me POI for 200-300 miles away. Even when I want a Best Buy it shows me ones in KC which is not near my current location.
That doesnt seem overly helpful for a 2K option that supposed to make things easier? I want Navi, or at least I think I do, on the one I purchase...but seeing things like that makes me wonder if its wasted money..?

I dont have navi on any of my cars, but I am a techno geek and its very appealing if I can get good use out of it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Jul 7 2010, 09:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339478
That doesnt seem overly helpful for a 2K option that supposed to make things easier? I want Navi, or at least I think I do, on the one I purchase...but seeing things like that makes me wonder if its wasted money..?

I dont have navi on any of my cars, but I am a techno geek and its very appealing if I can get good use out of it.
I've complained in the past that the POI database is pretty bad. But the nav still offers plenty of value. I'm still glad I have it.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Jul 7 2010, 10:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339478

I find even my garmin or tom tom portables to be obsolete when it comes to POI's...they just don't update fast enough and in NY, businesses are constantly closing/opening..they could never practically keep up if they wanted to

I love the nav if not for anything else but the ipod and bluetooth integration. plus our displays don't dim like the non-nav units :D

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 7 2010, 10:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339490
I love the nav if not for anything else but the ipod and bluetooth integration. plus our displays don't dim like the non-nav units :D
An EXCELLENT point! LOL.

I have Garmin on my phone and its pretty good. Guess one of my tests will be to compare the two.

I am really trying to figure out how to really evaluate the Nav since I never have had one....

·
Registered
533 Posts
I must be weird. My nav works as advertised and seems to pull up things close by first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Jul 7 2010, 07:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339478

while I'm disappointed with the POI search performance, I am still impressed with the quality of voice guidance. Route recalculation when you go off course is immediate. The system turns down the radio volume briefly at the time of navi commands. While the POI thing is annoying, my workaround is to use my cell phone google maps application (always accurate and uptodate) to locate what I need and to enter the address into the car navi. obviously not ideal, but ensures I have accurate info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 2011 Sonata Limited for a couple of weeks now. Here's my take on the Navigation system. First of all, I'm a techy guy. I've already got a couple of stand-alone GPS units, plus my Google Maps Navigation on my Droid (by far the best!). To put it simply, the Sonta's GPS system is BAD. First of all, it's out of date, and there are no updates (called Hyundai Customer Service). You can go to the company that makes the software (can't remember off the top of my head, but it's list in the nav manual). They make Nav software for Hyundai and Kia. If and when they do have an update, it's $199 !! But back to the Nav I already have. First of all, it's buggy. Twice it's gone into infinite loop which the voice repeating a direction over and over and over. The fact that it's a 2D flat map is also not good. All the other GPS provide a "birds-eye" 3D look, which is much better. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but when entering in an address to go to, I would think you would want to enter in the CITY, before the actual street name, so it gets narrowed down fast. Seems bizarre they list 147 "Main" streets (you can select the "Advanced" button to enter in a city first). Now I admit this works fine if you have the only street named BLAHBLAH in the current state, but otherwise, you look at lots of street names and drill down from there. But I do like how they eliminate impossible alphabetic letters as you type. Directions wise, I simply don't understand why it does certain things. We all know that GPS units may not make the best choice, but when we are out of town and don't know better, who cares. As long as it gets us there. Locally, however, we know better. Some of the directions it's given me for local routes are just plain weird! But its "rerouting" procedure is even stranger. Normally, if there's more than one way to get somewhere, and you take "the other" route, after a short while, it gives in and reroutes your way. This thing, on several occasions, has INSISTED I continue on it's original route, even when I'm a long way past the point of no return. A couple of other things: seems to only change to "night mode" when you turn on your lights - not based on the time of day. The giant split screen showing you the next turn, at the expense of the overall route, seems overkill. It already showed you the turn icon you will be making. The "turn-by-turn" directions, list from bottom up, seems weird to me also. And you can't slide the slider bar down. Gotta touch the down arrow, one-by-one. Also, can't seem to adjust the volume level of the voice. Either on, or muted. It is not controlled by the radio volume buttons. And trying to "scroll" the map by putting you finger on it, and sliding. What an abomination. First of all, seems to scroll in wrong direction from what all other interfaces do. Other things: when I press the Home preset button, take me there. Don't ask for yet another "set as my destination". I already said I wanted to go home!

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Big Foot @ Jul 7 2010, 02:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339563
I've had my 2011 Sonata Limited for a couple of weeks now. Here's my take on the Navigation system. First of all, I'm a techy guy. I've already got a couple of stand-alone GPS units, plus my Google Maps Navigation on my Droid (by far the best!). To put it simply, the Sonta's GPS system is BAD. First of all, it's out of date, and there are no updates (called Hyundai Customer Service). You can go to the company that makes the software (can't remember off the top of my head, but it's list in the nav manual). They make Nav software for Hyundai and Kia. If and when they do have an update, it's $199 !! But back to the Nav I already have. First of all, it's buggy. Twice it's gone into infinite loop which the voice repeating a direction over and over and over. The fact that it's a 2D flat map is also not good. All the other GPS provide a "birds-eye" 3D look, which is much better. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but when entering in an address to go to, I would think you would want to enter in the CITY, before the actual street name, so it gets narrowed down fast. Seems bizarre they list 147 "Main" streets (you can select the "Advanced" button to enter in a city first). Now I admit this works fine if you have the only street named BLAHBLAH in the current state, but otherwise, you look at lots of street names and drill down from there. But I do like how they eliminate impossible alphabetic letters as you type. Directions wise, I simply don't understand why it does certain things. We all know that GPS units may not make the best choice, but when we are out of town and don't know better, who cares. As long as it gets us there. Locally, however, we know better. Some of the directions it's given me for local routes are just plain weird! But its "rerouting" procedure is even stranger. Normally, if there's more than one way to get somewhere, and you take "the other" route, after a short while, it gives in and reroutes your way. This thing, on several occasions, has INSISTED I continue on it's original route, even when I'm a long way past the point of no return. A couple of other things: seems to only change to "night mode" when you turn on your lights - not based on the time of day. The giant split screen showing you the next turn, at the expense of the overall route, seems overkill. It already showed you the turn icon you will be making. The "turn-by-turn" directions, list from bottom up, seems weird to me also. Also, can't seem to adjust the volume level of the voice. Either on, or muted. It is not controlled by the radio volume buttons.
wow....since your such a "tech guy"...allow this humble IT administrator to "learn" you some...
S
1) you make mention of 2D nav screens on the sonata...name FIVE cars (that are priced at the sonata price point) that offer FACTORY 3D nav....yup..I'm waiting
2) for such a tech guy, you should've noticed that little button below the screen that says SETUP....touch it and then on screen touch navigation or voice recognition (i forget-cars outside in 110 degree weather and I don't feel like getting up) and then it gives prompts for voice volume
3) iPhone 4 > Droid period!
4) I dont have problems finding streets in NY on my nav

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 7 2010, 01:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339564
wow....since your such a "tech guy"...allow this humble IT administrator to "learn" you some...
S
1) you make mention of 2D nav screens on the sonata...name FIVE cars (that are priced at the sonata price point) that offer FACTORY 3D nav....yup..I'm waiting
2) for such a tech guy, you should've noticed that little button below the screen that says SETUP....touch it and then on screen touch navigation or voice recognition (i forget-cars outside in 110 degree weather and I don't feel like getting up) and then it gives prompts for voice volume
3) iPhone 4 > Droid period!
4) I dont have problems finding streets in NY on my nav

Hey humble IT administrator guy, chill out.

1. I didn't say anything about price point. Just stating what other "stand-alone" GPS's offer. This 2D thing has also been mentioned in various reviews of the car.
2. Thanks for the tip, humble IT guy. Maybe it should say Nav voice instead of "voice recognition". They are two different things, ya know.
3. Hows that iphone 4 working out for you. How many dropped calls you had today? Can you get a signal?
4. I never said I had trouble finding streets - just the interface isn't very good.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Big Foot @ Jul 7 2010, 02:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339569
Hey humble IT administrator guy, chill out.

1. I didn't say anything about price point. Just stating what other "stand-alone" GPS's offer. This 2D thing has also been mentioned in various reviews of the car.
2. Thanks for the tip, humble IT guy. Maybe it should say Nav voice instead of "voice recognition". They are two different things, ya know.
3. Hows that iphone 4 working out for you. How many dropped calls you had today? Can you get a signal?
4. I never said I had trouble finding streets - just the interface isn't very good.

1. comparing a stand-alone GPS to factory nav is like me comparing the 18" SE rims to some 20" HRE 3 piece forged wheels (not apples to apples)
2. Sorry, should I reinvent the english language for you too?? (this is america right???)
3. works great, thanks for asking....remember I am in NY-home of the cell tower-no drop calls here :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (calguy @ Jul 7 2010, 01:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339442
Is there a way to update these built-in GPS units?
answering my own question: page 3-51 of navigation user's manual regarding system update: "press the setup key; press the main button; pres the system info button"...then click "map upgrade"

should upgrade via satellite. haven't tried it yet, but will do later today. hopefully that solves this problem.

update: was wrong...see NT2SHBBY post below and my reply below that for more info.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (calguy @ Jul 7 2010, 04:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339602
answering my own question: page 3-51 of navigation user's manual regarding system update: "press the setup key; press the main button; pres the system info button"...then click "map upgrade"

should upgrade via satellite. haven't tried it yet, but will do later today. hopefully that solves this problem.

as far as I know, you have to go to mapnsoft.com and download the map update via usb flash drive and update that way

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 7 2010, 01:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339613
as far as I know, you have to go to mapnsoft.com and download the map update via usb flash drive and update that way
you are right about the usb. just tried what the user's manual said and the system said "usb is disconnected"... will look into the mapnsoft thing you said. i hope it doesn't cost extra

update: checked mapnsoft. no updates available for 2011 sonata. that sucks. POI list it came with is clearly inadequate. if designers were smarter, they'd make the nav software capable of using cell phone's map data (e.g. google maps) via the bluetooth connection to locate POI and feed address/contact info into the system that way. maybe in the future.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My main gripe about the Sonata's Sat nav is that I cannot enter the latitude and longitude coordinates of a destination. It has now happened twice that we were to meet at some rural picnic spot and although I could easily find the spot (and a paved road to it) on Google maps there was just no easy way to enter it into the sonata's sat nav via a street address. Yes, I probably could have used the sat nav's painful to use cross hairs but why not allow me to enter a destination in its most basic of basic forms?

I also wish they could supply the POIs in lat long coordinates. I was looking for my bank's ATM and it guided me to the street address of a huge mall. If they had used the lat long coordinates of the ATM it could have guided me right up the the ATM machine which was on one of outside walls of the mall.

There is just so much more room for improvement!

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 7 2010, 02:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339573
2. Sorry, should I reinvent the english language for you too?? (this is america right???)
Nah, the one we've got works just fine. But allow this humble software developer to "learn" you a little tip.

P.S. You sound like a real cracker jack IT administrator--I guess you'd rather have Steve Jobs spoon feed you than use an open platform. But hey, at least you earn enough with that DeVry education to be a bona fide Apple fanboy. Viva la Long Island!

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (stun4171 @ Jul 7 2010, 11:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339702
Nah, the one we've got works just fine. But allow this humble software developer to "learn" you a little tip.

P.S. You sound like a real cracker jack IT administrator--I guess you'd rather have Steve Jobs spoon feed you than use an open platform. But hey, at least you earn enough with that DeVry education to be a bona fide Apple fanboy. Viva la Long Island!
LOL...yet this "crackerjack IT admin" drives a 2007 bmw 750Li as a company car, owns his own LONG ISLAND house at the age of 32, own 6 cars (one being this korean lexus called a sonata)

yup....definitely cracker jack material...... LOL..... but what do I know? I don't live in a city that pretends to have the best pizza in the world, all the while overshadowing what seems to be a wannabe Manhattan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts