Hyundai Forums banner

"Nav Update" Appears to be a full Infotainment Update!

20K views 72 replies 24 participants last post by  Arjay225 
#1 · (Edited)
From another forum, I found a link to a "Nav Update" ... Navigation Updater | Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website

Click through to download a program (Win or Mac) which when installed/run, will download the files needed to perform the actual update and facilitate their transfer to a USB key.

For Windows, the "Updater Program" install package (NavigationUpdaterSetup.exe) is a single file, just under 32MB in size. Once you install and run this application, follow its prompts to download the actual Tucson Nav update files saved to your local hard drive, and to then transfer them to a USB key (aka Flashdrive), the one used to perform the in-car update (total time here, about 35 mins). When I did my Canadian version, it was a set of 16 files totalling just under 25GB, so a 32GB USB key was sufficient. Notably, the program will insist on formatting the key to exFAT and does NOT leave a copy of the update files on your hard drive (by default - you can uncheck an option box to allow the files to remain on your local computer).

To avoid running down the battery, I had my car "ON" (in Park, of course) located outside in my driveway. If you don't insert the USB key prior to starting the update, you will be prompted to do so. Access the Update function via Setup | General, after which you'll see an Update button (see left part of pic below).

The in-car process for me was about 32 mins from start to finish (including 2 auto-restarts of the infotainment system). Others have reported their update taking up to an hour but mine was quicker possibly because I used a high-transfer speed USB 3 key.

The pic below shows my car's version numbers pre-update on the left (except for the Map, which I think was NAM.13.47.50.610.301), and post-update on the right. Sure seems like this "Nav Update" also updated the Infotainment Software and Firmware! Who knows, maybe it'll make my CarPlay more stable too (here's hoping)!
Font Publication Electric blue Audio equipment Multimedia

See less See more
#8 ·
#23 · (Edited)
I believe most newer Hyundai vehicles have the wifi hardware, but are lacking the software to utilize it. Some posts indicate there is a way to enter a dev mode and enable the wifi, but it doesn't stay on. I have read elsewhere that there was a bug related to vehicles with built in NAV that makes Wireless Android Auto crash. My understanding is they disabled it due to the bug and we are waiting on a software fix... fingers crossed. I'm not sure if they will also enable wifi as a means to update, but it would be nice.

This is all info I have read in other forum posts... I hope it is true, but I know nothing first hand. Would be nice if an official source would comment on these issues.

#33 ·
Within the context of the 2022 Tucson HEV in Canada/USA (no idea for other models or variants in other parts of the world), when Hyundai says “Flash drive” they mean a USB thumb drive - AFAIK, there’s no in-car SD slot. The insertion point is the left-hand USB port below the Infotainment area.

#29 ·
Am I missing something here? For us "over the other side", for a new Tucson, the infotainment software (maps, audio etc) is updated free of charge when the vehicle is in for its annual service. ( I assume major map updates are generally once a year). Ergo I see little point in the DIY approach - personally, unless the vehicle was a few years older, I would be reluctant to install updates myself and run the risk of bricking the whole thing. (been there, done that!).

#34 ·
If the dealer does the update... they will charge ! (I assume). Basically keep the car on, with enough gas. Takes about 45 min. It's pretty foolproof. Just follow the instructions. The program checks the USB and the GPS program checks the dowload. On my 2016 Hyundai I did it several times. Glad they are free now. They used to charge $150... then dropped it to $30 a few years ago. Now free. My Toyota hybrid get free maps for 3 year. Then $130 for two years. But the Toyota driving directions are sometimes strange. We always have the GPS and WAYZE going at the same time. The Hyundai directions never let us down, but we always had the two going.

#35 ·
For the Tucson 2022, (Gen 5) the next navigation update is either November 8, or Nov 30, depending on how you interpret the text on this page:
(I think the "free" update referenced on the page means if you are within the 3 year period (which all 2022 Tucsons are, of course). Otherwise, the dates in the next paragraph are probably for people who are buying the update directly from them...

In general, the updates seem to be announced here first Hyundai Mapcare | Customer Login, and then as notifications on the official Hyundai website later.

Note: click the "See Details" at the end of the line announcing the update dates per model year. The "See Details" link is the one I put at the top.

#36 ·
For the Tucson 2022, (Gen 5) the next navigation update is either November 8, or Nov 30, depending on how you interpret the text on this page:
(I think the "free" update referenced on the page means if you are within the 3 year period (which all 2022 Tucsons are, of course). Otherwise, the dates in the next paragraph are probably for people who are buying the update directly from them...

In general, the updates seem to be announced here first Hyundai Mapcare | Customer Login, and then as notifications on the official Hyundai website later.

Note: click the "See Details" at the end of the line announcing the update dates per model year. The "See Details" link is the one I put at the top.
Thanks for the information!

#41 ·
I downloaded to an empty 64 GB portable USB stick after installing the software. The navigation downloader (version 1.0.70) formats the USB stick first (at least it did that for me), and says it will be downloading 19,241 MB. About 20-30 minutes total to download (that's their website limiting download speed, not my connection).

#46 · (Edited)
It showed some of the update details, but the web page is more complete on what was updated, than the "Details" button.
Any chance you can provide the link to the web page you say more completely describes what was updated? Or, did you mean the info on the main update page?

#44 ·
Yes, you need to leave the car running for the entire update. And, step 1 of 5 takes around half of the total time, haha. I just brought a tablet and read a book for a half hour. The engine doesn't actually run most of the time, and that depends on your battery charge level.

#47 ·
This update seems to be for the wired version with the larger screen. I tried to run the update on mine with the smaller screen and the wireless CarPlay but no dice. Unless that’s a different version that’s somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#48 ·
This update seems to be for the wired version with the larger screen. I tried to run the update on mine with the smaller screen and the wireless CarPlay but no dice. Unless that’s a different version that’s somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does your 8" system have navigation? If not, then maybe this "Nav Update" doesn't apply. (Just guessing since in Canada, we have different trim levels/names & options.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.