Hyundai Forums banner

Nav system

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  rmissourimule 
#1 ·
I have a new SE with the Nav system but it doesn't display the speed limit except on interstates and major roads. I can't figure out what do if anything. The set-up calls for it to do this. There seems to be no software update available. What I need is to know when I go through "Podunkville" that I be alerted to the speed limit. I routinely had this on my 2013 Santa Fe and it was very helpful.

I can't find an answer anywhere. The dealer's gurus claim the computer is the same for all the models. I get more info from my four year old Garmin but I would hate to think I need to hook it back to get this vital information.

Thoughts?

P.S. If this has been addressed elsewhere in this forum I was unable to locate it. If so please direct it there to that thread.

#4 ·
I have a 2011 SE that I have had since June 2010 and mine is the same. To me the nav is very basic, no speed limit, no latitude longitude destination input, no lane guidance, just your basic navigation. My six year old TomTom does 10x more then the hyundai nav. It does however get me to where I need to go, MOST of the time.

#6 · (Edited)
What a bummer. I guess I will need to take this up with Hyundai. My 2013's Santa Fe's NAV system worked splendidly. The only place it didn't show the speed limits were on city streets but all major roads had it and it was immediate. As soon as the speed limit changed on the sign so did the display.

I wonder if there is a small portable GPS unit that I could affix somewhere on the dash that would display this vital information and hold a charge over several hours. (Suggestions will be appreciated) My Garmin will but it is kind of clunky and I don't want a bunch of wires hanging out everywhere. That's why I got the factory NAV system. But of course it also has the back-up camera which is really appreciated. The guidance system works fine otherwise.

I sent a nastygram to Hyundai about this a few days ago. Will be interesting to see their reply.

On a side note, I don't really understand Hyundai sometimes. I bought my SE back on 7/13/13 (built three weeks earlier). Today I see what appears to be an identical car on the dealer lot. I go over to it and see the MRSP is exactly the same. However, it also had the rear mudguards and rear bumper protector. I think to myself, I just got the shaft. So I go home, get out my sticker and drive back to the dealer. Trying to figure out what is going on. Guess what. No Homelink or auto dimming mirror. I can always add the mudguards and I assume the rear bumper protector (with the "Sonata" appearing. Hard to add the Homelink I would think. I find it very helpful for opening garage doors. One can program up to three doors on it. Easy as pie. And what's up with no "mute" button on the steering wheel? Even my basic Elantra has that feature.

Hyundai, are you listening? Get your act together. This is amateursville, really.

(This is off the subject but if anyone gets the Santa Fe get it with the turbo or the V6. The 2.4 in the Sonata seems plenty powerful to me. The 2.4 in the Santa Fe seemed a mite underpowered, although adequate. Must be the weight of the respective vehicles.)

#7 ·
Fixed one problem but the NAV system sucks.

The power button serves as a "mute" button. Instant on/off.

However, after extensive contact with Hyundai the NAV system is going to be an issue that frankly I don't know how to resolve. While it gives speed limits for major highways like interstates, in-town, where I need it, is not there even though it is turned on for that feature.

Yesterday I picked up and delivered a new 2013 Veloster to a local dealer. While I am not particularly enamored with it; it's more for the younger market I would think, the NAV system, while small was splendid. It did what it was supposed to do and I only wish that the Sonata had one half as good.

It is surprising to me that the flagship model of Hyundai's line-up would be relegated to such an inferior feature. It is now obvious that I am getting the run-a-round from Hyundai. First they tell me that it should work as it did in my Santa Fe (the speed limits); now they tell me that I should go to the service department which has already checked it out. So it looks like am screwed.

If ANYONE knows what to do or suggest I am all ears and eyes. Otherwise, I can get rid of the car with only 500 miles or buy a proper standalone GPS from Best Buy or other retailer and use it for this purpose. Anyone have any suggestions?

#8 · (Edited)
With the (Oct '12) $99 Nav Software Upgrade I found the Speed Limit capability incl'd is Default "Off". I had to turn it "On" but only see data on Interstates and highways / Not Streets and Not All highways (ie) Cahaba Valley Rd. here is Hwy 119 to most of us, but speed limit data isn't shown for it.

FYI : When entering Nav Contact Address mine Only accepted "Highway" 469, Not Hiway or Hwy. Just discovered that.............

#9 · (Edited)
I use iGO Primo on my smartphone and it only shows speed limits for major highways (interstate, state, and some US) and a few select side roads. On the whole, I do not see speed limits on residential or secondary roads.

Besides, I found on mine the speed limits are usually off (they have done a lot of construction up here and changed the speed limits of certain roads by 5 or 10 mph).

BTW--updating your maps will not do anything for this since the speed limits are a separate file from the map files. It is only updated as much as the vendor (NavTeq I believe) gets the data from the various state DOT's. Heck the maps are updated that frequently so take from that what you may.

So...not to defend Hyundai but I think there isn't too much you or they can do. Maybe in the next generation NAV systems they will just pull that data from the NavTraffic stream and it will be constantly updated as the car moves.

Too bad that you have the factory nav because I think the aftermarket ones are much more advanced with features like this (not going to name specific vendors so as not to start a fight between supporters)

#10 ·
I've been going round and round with Hyundai over this issue and I would say I am getting the run-around. I don't know if they realize or appreciate the problem.

I KNOW what it should do and my three week old Sonata is not doing what it should. That being the case the NAV is essentially worthless.

#14 ·
I've solved my problem to a point. The factory NAV will tell me where I am and when I will get home or to my destination. That's about all I'm going to use it for.

I purchased a new Garmin today for about $160 at Wal-Mart. Among the interesting features are the speed of the vehicle, the speed limit and when it is exceeded the speed turns red. None of these features are on the factory unit. Also has lifetime map updates.

To pay $200 to $300 for a factory map update is just not sensible in my opinion especially since I do not believe these omissions will be addressed. In all other respects the car is fine. Just something to live with. Most of the time I do know the speed limits locally but on the highway I really need to know the actual speeds to avoid any speeding tickets. So I think $160 was pretty cheap insurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.