Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
763 Posts
I just purchased a Hampton Gray five days ago. I had to go 80 miles from home to find the Hampton Gray. On my drive home, I got 30 MPG highway driving. I have not been able to too many miles since, due to poor weather here in Northern Virginia.
I’ve had 6 BMW M cars over the years. This car feels like an entry level M car. You can feel Albert Biermann in the driving dynamics in this car, which is a good thing. If E39 M5 had an automatic, I think it would feel like this car. I’ve had at least one BMW in my driveway since 1990, and the Sonata N-line feels more like a BMW than any of the current BMWs (excluding M cars). Buy this car and you won’t regret it.
To add to what you said, just so people understand why you’re referencing Biermann: he was the VP for BMW M cars and now works for Hyundai:
https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/bios/albert-biermann

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Hampton Gray also and think it's very sharp especially after tinting the windows. I live in NJ and picked mine up in MD, so it was roughly 175 miles and the ride home was great. Was averaging around 34 mpg i believe. I'm going to remove the S O N A T A badge on the rear in the spring and plasti-dip the hyundai badge on the trunk black. Other than that, I want to tint the side and rear markers. And the Maxpider floormats are awesome. Not slippery at all after getting in the car during the snowstorms lately.

·
Registered
37 Posts
To add to what you said, just so people understand why you’re referencing Biermann: he was the VP for BMW M cars and now works for Hyundai:
https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/bios/albert-biermann
Thank you for mentioning that. To elaborate on that, Biermann was with BMW from 1983 to 2014. Luc Donckerwolke, former VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) design director, is the chief of design of Hyundai and Genesis. IMHO, Sonata N-line looks an Audi and drives like a BMW (which is a good thing). I never thought I put Hyundai in the same sentence with BMW and Audi. The first time I saw a Hyundai Sonata in Hampton Gray, I thought it was an Nardo gray Audi 7.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thank you for mentioning that. To elaborate on that, Biermann was with BMW from 1983 to 2014. Luc Donckerwolke, former VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) design director, is the chief of design of Hyundai and Genesis. IMHO, Sonata N-line looks an Audi and drives like a BMW (which is a good thing). I never thought I put Hyundai in the same sentence with BMW and Audi. The first time I saw a Hyundai Sonata in Hampton Gray, I thought it was an Nardo gray Audi 7.
And I never thought I would be driving a Hyundai. And yet, there is plenty of negativity out there and we all know why. Many don’t want to admit the N Line is a strong competitor. I honestly don’t get the hate for the front end of the N Line, its my favorite part of the entire car. The wide front grille with the unusually shaped headlights give it an aggressive and unique look. Those that think the K5 GT looks better are delusional. The K5 is a nice car, but looks wise (especially the nose and front fascia) it’s reminiscent of a domestic car, a 2015+ Dodge Charger. I very much prefer the sleek looks of the N Line and that ever popular and polarizing ‘cat fish’ grille lol.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the Hampton Gray also and think it's very sharp especially after tinting the windows. I live in NJ and picked mine up in MD, so it was roughly 175 miles and the ride home was great. Was averaging around 34 mpg i believe. I'm going to remove the S O N A T A badge on the rear in the spring and plasti-dip the hyundai badge on the trunk black. Other than that, I want to tint the side and rear markers. And the Maxpider floormats are awesome. Not slippery at all after getting in the car during the snowstorms lately. View attachment 454840 View attachment 454841
Car looks awesome, looks like that may end up being the most popular color for the N Line trim. I like the clean look of the Maxpider floormats, just wish they didn’t have that permanent 3D badge molded into the floormat. Looks like something that will get damaged over time, it sits really high on the mat. They also look a bit lighter in color than the graphite N Line carpeting, but might also just be the photo. What color is that and what colors do they offer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Car looks awesome, looks like that may end up being the most popular color for the N Line trim. I like the clean look of the Maxpider floormats, just wish they didn’t have that permanent 3D badge molded into the floormat. Looks like something that will get damaged over time, it sits really high on the mat. They also look a bit lighter in color than the graphite N Line carpeting, but might also just be the photo. What color is that and what colors do they offer?
I got them off Amazon, and I think they were just called "gray". They were the only ones that said fit my car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
And I never thought I would be driving a Hyundai. And yet, there is plenty of negativity out there and we all know why. Many don’t want to admit the N Line is a strong competitor. I honestly don’t get the hate for the front end of the N Line, its my favorite part of the entire car. The wide front grille with the unusually shaped headlights give it an aggressive and unique look. Those that think the K5 GT looks better are delusional. The K5 is a nice car, but looks wise (especially the nose and front fascia) it’s reminiscent of a domestic car, a 2015+ Dodge Charger. I very much prefer the sleek looks of the N Line and that ever popular and polarizing ‘cat fish’ grille lol.
[/QUOTE]
I completely agree with your K5 comment. I think the Sonata looks much better than K5.
I also think the interior is much better than the K5, according to what I’ve gather on the internet. Of course, all of this is subjective. One thing for sure, the N-line is a wonderful highway cruiser. If anyone has a decent daily freeway commute, N-line is the car for you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I completely agree with your K5 comment. I think the Sonata looks much better than K5.
I also think the interior is much better than the K5, according to what I’ve gather on the internet. Of course, all of this is subjective. One thing for sure, the N-line is a wonderful highway cruiser. If anyone has a decent daily freeway commute, N-line is the car for you.
Yup. I love the N Lines’ interior. The K5 only comes with pleather, real leather is not an option. Also, the K5 doesn’t have the digital gauge cluster. The 10.25-inch infotainment screen on the N Line also looks sleeker, don’t like the infotainment screen on the K5 GT as much. The right side of the screen is rounded and doesn’t flow as well into the dash as the one in the N Line. All of the details in the N Line interior are more tastfeul in every way. The dark grey leather, Dinamica suede, satin charcoal chrome, it all comes together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I very much prefer the sleek looks of the N Line and that ever popular and polarizing ‘cat fish’ grille lol.
I agree, it is less "cat fish" than the non-N line but still very distinctive. I think it is because the lower section is not as wide. My local dealer should get a silver N-line in any day now and I have a "right of first refusal" on it. Looking forward to that test drive!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree, it is less "cat fish" than the non-N line but still very distinctive. I think it is because the lower section is not as wide. My local dealer should get a silver N-line in any day now and I have a "right of first refusal" on it. Looking forward to that test drive!
One drive and you’ll be hooked like I was. I was totally blindsided by how comfortable and fast it was. The seating position, the ergonomics, even the steering feel feels great.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Actually I wasn’t talking about the regular Sonata. My point was I’ll take the N Line and the controversial front grille which I actually really like, over the Kia K5 GT.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sometimes threads have a life of its own and goes off on a completely different direction. I’m not stating that for this thread, but I would like to answer OP questions.
I currently have 300 miles on the odometer. I’m getting 25 MPG of 50% city and 50% highway driving. If your driving 85% highway then you should expect 28 to 30 MPG. Before deciding on the Sonata N-line, I also considered 2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy trim. I was looking for a family hauler to go on short and medium family road trips (My kids are young adults, who only me when they need financial assistance). As a father, I’m still holding on to the idea of family boding and creating family memories. I didn’t need a fun to drive car. I already have couple of those (2015 991.1 C4 GTS, 2018 M2. Both manual). But after sitting in the backseat, I realize Sonata had more than enough room for me and my family. The wonderful driving dynamics was a bonus. I didn’t think I could have my cake and eat it too, at $33k. I’ve been a BMW guy since 1990 and Porsche guy since 1996. The N-line may not be track worthy, but it’s a wonderful real world sport sedan. I initially thought it reminded me of my 2001 E39 M5 (if it came in a automatic). But as I drive it more, it reminds me of 1999 E39 540i I once had. 1999 E39 was V8 with 282 horsepower and 309 Ib/ft torque. And that car cost $70k new in 1999. To me, BMW was at its pinnacle during those times. Hyundai should be proud of what they have in the N-line. I agree with others on this forum, once you drive it’s game over.
Here is my current girlfriend:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually I wasn’t talking about the regular Sonata. My point was I’ll take the N Line and the controversial front grille which I actually really like, over the Kia K5 GT.
I understand and agree. Was just saying I like the N-line front end better than the regular Sonata.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sometimes threads have a life of its own and goes off on a completely different direction. I’m not stating that for this thread, but I would like to answer OP questions.
I currently have 300 miles on the odometer. I’m getting 25 MPG of 50% city and 50% highway driving. If your driving 85% highway then you should expect 28 to 30 MPG. Before deciding on the Sonata N-line, I also considered 2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy trim. I was looking for a family hauler to go on short and medium family road trips (My kids are young adults, who only me when they need financial assistance). As a father, I’m still holding on to the idea of family boding and creating family memories. I didn’t need a fun to drive car. I already have couple of those (2015 991.1 C4 GTS, 2018 M2. Both manual). But after sitting in the backseat, I realize Sonata had more than enough room for me and my family. The wonderful driving dynamics was a bonus. I didn’t think I could have my cake and eat it too, at $33k. I’ve been a BMW guy since 1990 and Porsche guy since 1996. The N-line may not be track worthy, but it’s a wonderful real world sport sedan. I initially thought it reminded me of my 2001 E39 M5 (if it came in a automatic). But as I drive it more, it reminds me of 1999 E39 540i I once had. 1999 E39 was V8 with 282 horsepower and 309 Ib/ft torque. And that car cost $70k new in 1999. To me, BMW was at its pinnacle during those times. Hyundai should be proud of what they have in the N-line. I agree with others on this forum, once you drive it’s game over.
Here is my current girlfriend:
View attachment 454845
Fantastic insight, and useful info and I’m really diggin’ your current girlfriend.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks.
I’m enjoying this forum.
Time permitting, I’m usually on the Rennlist. Unfortunately, there are too many snob and asxxxles on there.
It’s always a pleasure to meet and converse with car guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks to all for the input! All of the feedback is exactly what I was looking for. If you, Drtsk, think this drives and is close to my favorite BMW of all time, the e39 540i sport, then that is great. I never owned one and still kick myself for not going for one used years ago, would have been a daily driver.

As for your other comments regarding space, I agree, I still fit at 6'4" and I can even squeeze behind myself so I know my kids will fit for years to come. Great to hear about the mpgs. Like I mentioned, I am not expecting it to replace my plug in hybrid (in terms of mpgs) but if I can see some nice numbers and have fun every once and awhile then this car is as close to perfect for my situation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks to all for the input! All of the feedback is exactly what I was looking for. If you, Drtsk, think this drives and is close to my favorite BMW of all time, the e39 540i sport, then that is great. I never owned one and still kick myself for not going for one used years ago, would have been a daily driver.

As for your other comments regarding space, I agree, I still fit at 6'4" and I can even squeeze behind myself so I know my kids will fit for years to come. Great to hear about the mpgs. Like I mentioned, I am not expecting it to replace my plug in hybrid (in terms of mpgs) but if I can see some nice numbers and have fun every once and awhile then this car is as close to perfect for my situation.
I’m glad it was helpful. There are two cars from my past cars I wish I had kept, 1990 calypso red e30 325i and avus blue 1999 e39 540i. Unfortunately, I don’t even have photos of them. And I definitely don’t miss any of the M cars.
Good luck in your purchase. Don’t forget to post some pics.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts